Being new to DIY, what manufacturer of flavors would you start with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisG

Mar 31, 2010
St Louis
As the title says where would you suggest to start? Capella, Hagsen, Flavour Art, The Flavor Apprentice, Flavor Jungle, Flavor West, just to name some. There are literally 700+ flavors on RTSVapes and it is overwhelming for a beginner. Now I know I wont even pick half of those based on my taste but there are sooo many overlapping flavors from each. They all have cherry, banana, caramel, and on and on and on. I have started with FA getting 8 flavors but want to build my selection, maybe add 20-30 complementing additive flavors, some sweets and such and would like to work my way through one manufacturer and go from there. Reading some threads now I am not so sure FA is the way to go.

I know this is subjective as is taste but I would think each manufacturer has its ups and downs that you could maybe talk about for us new people entering the DIY journey and give some advice on where to start. Maybe some stronger thus cheaper, better flavor, more available recipe info out there, etc.

Thanks all!

Reactions: vanantwerpen

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I have no disagreement with any of the suggested producers, but note that most lines have their hits and misses. It might be a good idea to find specific flavors per vendors that are in high regard and interest you and / or to come up with a notion of a flavor you like and then find which vendors are close and review well.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I AM new to DIY, so my opinion probably means nothing...
After several weeks of reading blogs, threads, and trading PM's, I went with TFA. They make an effort to list ingredients, and 'notice' or 'warning' any inhalation hazards or liquids that can be particularly hard on certain plastics. I appreciate such transparency.

Reactions: zoiDman

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I too am only beginning to move into DIY? Is TFA generally considered to use safe ingredients? I've read we should stay with ingredients that are considered by the FDA as safe, even though this may not apply to inhalation.
Yes.They list any that contain the so called bad stuff too,such as custard notes,any flavor that has diketones they will note it in the description.They have also recently came out with replacement diketone free flavors for those that are concerned about them,they are callled the dx line.

derogg

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
Socal
I personally would go with inawera. I have used their flavors and find them easy to work with. The nice thing is that the percentage range is realatively consistent. Having used TFA (which has great flavors), the percentages seem to be all over the board and on the higher side IMO. Hangsens also has good flavors especially if you like tobaccos. Lots of good info here, whatever you choose!
:2c:Dirk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I was overwhelmed with all the flavor choices in some vendors websites. After reading, reading and more reading of reviews to what I was looking for in flavors and how they taste to others I decided to get a range of flavoring companies and try some of them out. Like previously stated some have good and disappointing flavors. Hangsen so far has been the best tobacco flavorings yet with their Highway, Desert Ship, No5 and Tab (the grassy flavor I'm looking for). I just mix 10mls 5% flavor with no nic, magnetic mix it then sit for a couple days and try to see if the flavor is what's to be expected, if not then adjust and do it over again. I document everything into the EJuiceMeUp calculator since Murphy law states you will have made the best juice but forgot how to make it again.
I'm not interested in recreating someone else's formula but looking for a ADV tobacco mix I like and getting closer with every test batch. DIY is quite a fun learning curve that does once in a while you end up flushing a YUK down the toilet. Youtube shows how to make different DIY magnetic mixers and its a god send to mix with and not get carpel tunnel from shaking juice, set the beaker, adjust the spin of the stirbar then walk away...easy-peezy
IMO stick to single flavor tests until your confident enough with what to expect before creating the clone masterpiece to find out its nothing to what you expected.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I started with Capella, LorAnn, and a couple FlavourArt. I've migrated to TFA as my go-to, but there are a few which I'll need to get outside TFA. WizardLabs offers most of the major players, as does ecigexpress. Try a few smaller bottles until you dial in on what *YOU* like. Then, you could start getting larger sizes.

1vapeatatime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
Nevada
I read posts, and listened to friends and still ended up with over 350 flavors. I like everything, mostly tobaccos, and there are literally 1000s of tobacco flavors available. But here's my 2 cents worth
Tobacco: Inawera, Hangsen, and SC flavors
Dessert: TFA, and FlavourArt
Friuts: FlavouArt and Inawera
Enhancers: FlavourArt, Inawera, and TFA
Again, this is only my 2 cents worth. I also found that German Flavors, One On One flavors, and Flavor West have interesting offerings. I avoid DIY Flavorshack, and Decadent Vapors like the plague.

Reactions: JD1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread