Bench Retest Results: Brillipower Green 3100mAh 40A 18650...preposterously overrated, not IMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it only says "max" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

Cell photos: https://imgur (dot) com/a/C1cCl
    (Sorry for the split link but direct links to Imgur do not display properly)

Bottom Line
    This cell has “40A max” on the wrap, which is an impossible overrating as there are no 18650’s available with a capacity of 3000mAh or higher that have a current rating over 20A.

If “max” is some sort of “pulse” rating it is useless because we don’t know the pulse length, time between pulses, and the criteria used to set the rating. It cannot be used to compare this battery against any other.

The 3100mAh capacity of this cell is also exaggerated. It is a 3000mAh cell.

The wrap has “IMR18650” on it but this cell does not use the chemistry associated with the IMR model number prefix. It uses the chemistry sometimes indicated by the INR prefix.

Its appearance is identical to the LG HG2 but this Brillipower doesn’t perform quite as well as my reference HG2’s. It does perform about as well as a lot of the HG2’s being sold now though and better than it did on my previous test when Brillipower was obviously using lower grade cells (something they do often).

I was very close to giving this cell a Do Not buy recommendation but the use of cells that were not obviously, but might still be, a lower grade means they are just not a great choice considering what else is available.

The two cells that were tested were purchased for that purpose by me.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    Brillipower Green 40A 3100mAh 18650 CC RETESTS.jpg Brillipower Green 40A 3100mAh 18650 CC RETESTS vs HG2.jpg

Pulse-Current Test Results
    Pulse testing was not done as this is a rewrapped HG2.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

SJvape

Jul 10, 2017
    Why these companies and manufacturers claim their batteries are higher rating astounds me. Do they want people's hands blowing up? I know some like Sony say on the wrapper 'do not use outside of battery pack' which technically covers them. But others which make 18650's for use outside packs then lie about the safety boggles me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread