Bench Retest Results: Golisi S32 30A 3200mAh 20700...it has changed, now only 25A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the ESTIMATED ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

BF4B755A-721B-499E-8803-E35915E98F2D.jpeg C57D9E66-3019-486B-B734-7AD7798D876D.jpeg FF0AB241-6722-42D4-BE9A-A6E9E05912A0.jpeg 0C95393A-E27F-4ADB-BB4B-68315F35A023.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This cell has changed. It now runs hotter, by a few degrees-C, and at a slightly lower voltage than it did in my previous tests. This earns it a lower current rating. It appears to be the same cell as used by the 25A versions of the Vapcell gold 30A 3100mAh and QSO Orange 30A 3100mAh cell but I cannot be sure of this.

The two Golisi’s I tested delivered 3086mAh and 3117mAh at 640mA (0.2C) down to 2.5V.

I am ESTIMATING this Golisi’s ratings to be 25A continuous and 3000mAh.

Two cells were purchased for the purposes of testing by me.

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    7C3D8D03-1546-4900-9483-8AC403F96A6C.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    1B7E33B3-6CC8-4E24-A151-A3ED63AFF6EB.jpeg

Performance Specs
    - DC Internal Resistance = 18.4mOhms (milliohms) average for the two cells.
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 30A continuous = 4.6Wh (Watt-hours) average.

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    If it were all the same cells from the same manufacturer, and the manufacturer itself changed the cells on his own, without letting the customers know, that's hardly a trend. Just one a***ole company that's dragging the rest down with its selfish behavior.
    Not that we haven't seen such behavior in other industry/service branches already...

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    I think that the main problem, is that you don´t really know, which manufacturer is behind the battery.
    I think that Mooch wrote it somewhere (I don´t remember where I read it), that there are Chinese manufacturer that even exaggerate intentionally.
    I don´t think that serious Chinese manufacturer like Lishen, BYD etc. would dare to do that...

Reactions: stols001

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    If it's at all a trend;)

Your reaction is quite understandable, so if you want to play it safe, you shouldn't buy rewraps at all.
    Downside is, that there is not a single good 20700 from the Big 4 readily available on the market, except the Sanyo 20700B. But that one is unusable in a mech.
    So if you're limited to 20700s, keeping in mind that not all mods will fit 21700s despite the minimal difference in size, for a decent alternative you have to buy chinacells.;)

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    If it were all the same cells from the same manufacturer, and the manufacturer itself changed the cells on his own, without letting the customers know, that's hardly a trend. Just one a***ole company that's dragging the rest down with its selfish behavior.
    Not that we haven't seen such behavior in other industry/service branches already...
    Vapcell was commissioning a Chinese manufacturer to make one of their cells. The factory changed the cell to a poorer performing cell without telling Vapcell. Vapcell wasn't even aware the factory had changed the cell until Mooch told them.

"They say the factory did it as part of a few changes the factory wanted to make, without telling them. This is completely plausible to me as these factories don’t have customers who care most of the time and these battery wrapping companies rarely spot test or audit their cells, if ever." Mooch

Bench Retest Results: Vapcell Gold 30A 3100mAh 20700...cell has changed, now only 25A 3000mAh!

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    If it's at all a trend;)

Your reaction is quite understandable, so if you want to play it safe, you shouldn't buy rewraps at all.
    Downside is, that there is not a single good 20700 from the Big 4 readily available on the market, except the Sanyo 20700B. But that one is unusable in a mech.
    So if you're limited to 20700s, keeping in mind that not all mods will fit 21700s despite the minimal difference in size, for a decent alternative you have to buy chinacells.;)
    I am currently using a Sanyo 20700A as I type this. I agree, they are not readily avaliable like the China cells are, but I did a lot of research and happened to find some. So if you are so inclined, it is possible to get good 20700s from the big name brands if you really want to.

Edit- trend may not be the right term, but it is happening to multiple cells from China recently like vapcell, ijoy, and golisi.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Sure. Recycled from a batterypack it's possible to get nearly every cell.
    But that's as "unsafe" as buying rewraps.;)
    The margin of available unused cells is near zero.
    The act of removing the cell is tedious work, and potentially dangerous for the average person without proper equipment, but the cells are not unsafe. My point is, there are options besides playing the Chinese mystery battery lotto.

(I am not saying for anyone to just start busting open battery packs, especially used packs, that is not advisable)

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    My point is, recycled cells go through 2 additional steps, before they're sold.
    The first is the assembly of the pack, the second its disassembly.
    These are 2 additional possibilities to change the cell under the wrap.
    This is in no way safer than buying commercial rewraps in the first place, because you cannot be sure, that you get what you payed for.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    My point is, recycled cells go through 2 additional steps, before they're sold.
    The first is the assembly of the pack, the second its disassembly.
    These are 2 additional possibilities to change the cell under the wrap.
    This is in no way safer than buying commercial rewraps in the first place, because you cannot be sure, that you get what you payed for.
    Isn't this exactly what the rewrapers are doing? Changing the cell under the wrap....

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Just like the recyclers.;)

Kind of. There are some idiotic salvagers that do this on small scale. But these Chinese companies are doing this on a large scale. Companies should be held to a higher standard than internet con artists.

I do agree to not to buy salvaved batteries off of unknown sources on the net. But if you have a trustworthy source to salvage some, or have the know how and tools for building battery packs, then the risk is much lower than buying cheap Chinese cells.

Last edited:

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    Fraud is fraud. No matter whether it's committed by a company or a private person. At least from the endconsumer perspective.
    Chances to get garbage instead of the real deal is about equally high comparing salvagers to rewrappers.
    With rewrappers you have at least the choice of which company to avoid and which offers good quality.
    A private person just needs to change its ebay or ali account, so you never know who's really behind the scam.

• Agree

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Fraud is fraud. No matter whether it's committed by a company or a private person. At least from the endconsumer perspective.
    Chances to get garbage instead of the real deal is about equally high comparing salvagers to rewrappers.
    With rewrappers you have at least the choice of which company to avoid and which offers good quality.
    A private person just needs to change its ebay or ali account, so you never know who's really behind the scam.
    I have been agreeing with you this whole time not to buy them from the internet. What makes salvaging these batteries so wrong if you or a friend can safely do it yourself?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Nothing. But most of the vapers can't do it themselves or have a trustworthy friend that could.
    And that's where the rewraps come into play;)
    Well, this was my point. I searched out a reliable source which I could acquire my sanyos. This was so I wouldn't have to buy from unknown individuals on the net or re-wraps because there is always the chance they will scam you the exact same way as the shady salvagers. I run mechs so I have to be sure what battery I have in my mod.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread