Bench Retest Results: Vapcell Gold 30A 3100mAh 20700...cell has changed, now only 25A 3000mAh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the ESTIMATED ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

BDBEF7B4-F76D-42B3-B508-1A6FC38AD2CD.jpeg A3D140BA-8F32-4671-A647-4DEB0561218E.jpeg 36B6E948-8269-4569-A56F-DBB87672E7F7.jpeg C06177CB-766F-421F-9D89-6044CF04A312.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This cell has changed. It now runs too hot to be rated at 30A and should be considered a 25A cell. Its appearance is only slightly different from the earlier cell and knowing which one you have will be tough. If you cannot tell, assume it’s rated 25A. I am not able to tell you which you have from photos you might send me.

The newer 25A-rated cells have a more sharply bent bottom edge and a sharper bend at the fold over of the metal can at the top. It also appears that the newer cell has the image of a hand fan on the wrap positioned further down from the top than before and that the white printing on the wrap isn’t as solid, as dense, as it was in the 30A-rated version. But wraps can change at any time and this should not be used as the only method of identifying which cell you have!

This Vapcell’s cell-to-cell performance varies much more than the cells from Samsung, Murata, LG, Panasonic/Sanyo, etc. This seems to be typical for the China manufactured cells being favored by a lot of battery wrapping companies now and will require a different way of rating them to account for this variation in performance. I’m working on it.

The sixteen cells I tested...yes, sixteen...delivered from 2.6Wh to 5.4Wh at 30A down to 2.5V. The earlier version of this cell averaged 5.5Wh at 30A. This is a huge range of values and means some would only last half as long as others in a regulated device at high power levels due to their extra voltage sag.

The cells I tested delivered 3052mAh to 3221mAh at 600mA (0.2C) down to 2.5V. That is also a huge range of values. While the “typical” capacity of this cell is over 3100mAh the minimum guaranteed capacity rating must be lower than the lowest capacity seen in testing. This way every cell is supposed to have at least that high a capacity.

I do not have the datasheet for this cell. I am ESTIMATING this Vapcell’s new rating to be 25A continuous and 3000mAh. I cannot guarantee that every cell in every batch will rated at least this high though. This is a big issue for our community and I am working on new rating standards for China-manufactured cells.

Six cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Economy Ecigs Distro, two cells were donated by Eciggity. Thank you! Eight were purchased by me from Illumn and Liion Wholesale. Vapcell also wanted to send four more cells for testing but I said no.

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    49FBC8E0-6613-442C-89DD-BC60011F5FC0.jpeg E2E19DB2-3887-4ED0-8F20-23899B793639.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    026EB7DA-379D-48AE-B31D-31EBEFF2B4D2.jpeg

Photos of 30A and 25A versions
    8FF042C4-C4B7-44C0-B973-608EA90C45B6.jpeg D6CB7770-92BA-4759-BF0A-FBC41797FEE1.jpeg 87D11B2B-FEC7-44E8-A6D9-F5488E5F7CBE.jpeg

Performance Specs
    - DC Internal Resistance = 14.7-16.9mOhms (milliohms) for the sixteen cells.
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 30A continuous = 2.6-5.5Wh (Watt-hours) for the sixteen cells.

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    It would be interesting to know if this is an intentional bait-and-switch, or just incompetent purchasing.

They say the factory did it as part of a few changes the factory wanted to make, without telling them. This is completely plausible to me as these factories don’t have customers who care most of the time and these battery wrapping companies rarely spot test or audit their cells, if ever.

Benzoboss

Aug 10, 2018
    Off topic
    Mooch.
    I got a xtar vc2 charger and it shows me the mah i put into the cell.
    To what voltage should i drain my batterys to get a fairly accurate mah reading on them?
    Just drained them to about 3.5v and its showing 2400 mah at 4.15v.
    I assume that i did something wrong since its a 20700 and a 20-25a rating w just 2400 mah would be bull.... lol.

Reactions: stols001

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Off topic
    Mooch.
    To what voltage should i drain my batterys to get a fairly accurate mah reading on them?
    I assume that i did something wrong since its a 20700 and a 20-25a rating w just 2400 mah would be bull.... lol.
    Not Mooch, but you would have to drain them to about 2.5v, to get an accurate mah capacity reading.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Off topic
    Mooch.

2.5V at about 600mA, down from a full charge.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread