The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Bench Retests Results: iJoy 25A 1400mAh 20350...paper top ring, must still rate at 7A

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, Sep 7, 2018.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the ESTIMATED ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

8A05B758-D4DF-4C38-92B1-E45B6B35E03E.jpeg C072A0B5-87AB-489B-810D-3118C9EA965B.jpeg A8477A42-99EF-4238-B476-0FADD44F4D23.jpeg 4C92BF56-1B55-4B71-9D2E-9C4908FA864B.jpeg

Bottom Line
    Two of these cells are included with the iJoy Avenger Baby mod and one is used inside the iJoy Diamond VPC kit mod.

A total of six cells were tested. Their performance varied wildly with the worst cell delivering about 1/3 the vaping time of the best cell at 10A (about 30W) down to the 3.3V cutoff used in the iJoy Avenger Baby mod.

This inconsistency is huge and is a big concern as it forces me to rate all of them at the performance level of the worst cell. You might get a decent performer or you could get one even worse than the ones I had.

One possible cause for this inconsistent performance could be the badly done internal spot welds in the cells I tested. Some of the welds burnt through the metal, resulting in a very poor connection and some spot welds missed the metal they were supposed to weld down.

I sent iJoy photos of some of these badly done welds and they informed me that they are speaking to the factory to revise/improve the spot welds and overall performance of these cells. I look forward to retesting them when these cells are released.

This iJoy cell uses a thin paper ring as the top insulator. Do not let eliquid, or any liquid, get on the top of the battery as it could weaken the ring and/or cause rusting underneath.

The six cells I tested averaged approximately 1440mAh at 280mA (0.2C) down to 2.5V.

I am ESTIMATING this iJoy’s ratings to be 7A continuous (about 20W) and 1400mAh. You could get lucky and end up with a better performer, up to about a 15A rating, but never assume you have one like that. I recommend staying below 20W per battery until the revised cells are available. This is 20W for the iJoy Diamond VPC mod and 40W for the iJoy Avenger Baby mod.

Two cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Mike Vapes (Mike Vapes), two were donated by Kimmy Vapes (KimmyVapes), and two were donated by Bob The Vaping Computer Guy (The Vaping Computer Guy). Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graph
    9A7E264C-D3B0-4B00-BA9C-D2CF0DE1D2E8.jpeg 5F9C9BB2-C9F6-410E-B07D-D145B422202D.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    12D1CE3C-8EC5-472A-82F6-571FA3CAF923.jpeg

Internal Spot Weld Examples (under the top contact structure) and a VTC5A
    The VTC5A image was included as it has a 25A rating, the same as claimed by the iJoy cells.
    3024D557-1554-43E4-B854-9B3E8FC86FD1.jpeg 1EB59F37-896B-4EA9-A636-00DF0B6D304C.jpeg 8CCC59A6-449A-455C-9C63-E75AE15EF4FE.jpeg

Performance Specs
    - DC Internal Resistance = 42.3mOhms (milliohms) average for the six cells.
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 10A continuous = Varied from 1.3Wh-2.4Wh (Watt-hours) for the six cells I tested.

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. tailland

tailland Super Member

Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
    And that's pretty much the reason why I view Ijoy's practice of including batteries with their kits with great suspicion. I don't understand why they do it, if their batteries apparently don't have a sufficient baseline quality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Heartsdelight

Heartsdelight Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 10, 2015
    Thanks Mooch!

• Like Like x 2
  4. tailland

tailland Super Member

Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
  5. Barkuti

Barkuti Senior Member ECF Veteran

Absolutely ridiculous :mad: in every aspect. Not only the cells are garbage, on top of this the mod's cutoff is absurdly high. Someone should tell whoever is responsible for the design of the buck-boost converters and battery management circuitry in these mods a li-ion power cell needs a much lower cut-off in order to be able to extract most of the available cell energy. Power tools usually cut-off at 2.5V, and this is without saying their cells are soldered/welded inside, so contact losses are minimal.

Cheers :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Foggy Road

Foggy Road Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    Thank you both @Mooch and @Barkuti. The diamond vpc mod (not the full kit) was at the top of my must have someday list. Glad I stumbled in here. Looks like you both saved me from a bad choice.

• Like Like x 2
  7. mimöschen

mimöschen Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2016
    Before doing that the manufacturers should rate their mods correctly. 230W on a dual 18650 mod is nonsense.
    Secondly, if they lower the cutoffvoltage to 2,5V, you'd have an absurdly high ampdraw, or an low battery warning anyway because the cells can't handle that high of an ampdraw.
    If the mod has a boost circuit that is.
    Without one the vape during the last third of the charge will be ridiculously weak.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Barkuti

Barkuti Senior Member ECF Veteran

I agree with the first sentence. However, those manufacturers and the buyers they aim for probably are too reckless and unaware. Personally I don't believe in advertising claims unless they come from esteemed brands and, in any case, I am the judge. :)
    230W on a dual 18650 mod is of course foolhardy. Not even with Samsung 20S cells. Seems certain people buy stuff blindfolded by flashy numbers' ads and their own ignorance, but this is their own issues.
    With regards to the cutoff, it may seem a bit extreme but bear in mind for a regulated mod the actual average cell output voltage to be considered is… about the average voltage value (a tad less I'd say, to substract contact losses) of its highest discharge curve. Since you do not discharge continuously, a handful of hits at a little above the actual continuous cell amp draw is no issue when close to out of fuel. I would also include some sort of cell temperature sensor inside mods, by the way (a common thing in drill and laptop packs). For cut off ≈2.7V would still be a fine figure, but no way for 3.3V if you aim to make all those claimed ;) milliamps hour serve you. And yes, I was speaking with regards to regulated mods.
    Just an opinion. :pop:

Cheers :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. mimöschen

mimöschen Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2016
    The Smok Alien had a cutoff voltage of 2,8V with a specific update version. I think it was the latest, but I don't know for sure anymore.
    What I do remember though is, that this version was an absolute batterykiller regarding cyclelife, so I had to replace the cells (NSX/30Q/HG2) much sooner than normal. And at that time my max wattage was at around 50W. After downgrading again, the issues were gone.
    I admit it's not representative for all mods though and the issues might have been because of designflaws or other modspecific flaws.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1