Bench Test Results: Blackcell 21.8A 2523mAh 18650...accurately rated but an average performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the estimated ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

11997E43-937A-45A9-9AAE-7A3AA0FA8FA2.jpeg 0078D5AA-BBB1-454F-AD67-C982E4FBC139.jpeg CBA94F0F-FAEE-451A-BE93-683008395AE4.jpeg 4FC61686-1412-4161-9FED-B9A8437F30AA.jpeg

Bottom Line
    Considering how overrated Blackcell’s 3100mAh cells were I am very happy to see them release an accurately rated cell with the true continuous discharge rating (CDR) marked on the wrap.

I do not like seeing a useless “Max” rating on the wrap though, especially when it’s above the CDR number. I hope Blackcell decides to remove it.

So while the Samsung 25R, and certainly any of the newer generation of cells from Sony and Samsung, are a better choice if available this cell is a good option in countries where genuine versions of those other cells are very hard to find, particularly in Asia.

The two cells I tested delivered 2526mAh and 2522mAh at 0.5A down to 2.5V.

I am estimating this Blackcell’s ratings at 21.8A and 2500mAh.

Two cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Blackcell (BLACKCELL). Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    BEB6A460-C6AE-48F7-92D6-BCDF6BC0F866.jpeg 8920B62D-D29E-4DE1-8B02-18398BC3CF22.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    8A0D9895-D6A4-45FA-8B2A-2A4DA59F510B.jpeg

Performance Specs
    - DC Internal Resistance = 18.9mOhms (milliohms) average for the two cells.
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 10A continuous = 6.2Wh (Watt-hours) average
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 20A continuous = 4.2Wh (Watt-hours) average

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon.

Blackcell paid a fee to be moved to the front of the testing queue, which currently has a 10-12 week backlog. This cannot influence my test results as they pay in advance, have no say about what is in this report, and I don’t care if any company never does this or donates batteries again. My reputation is a lot more important than any battery donation or payment.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread