Bench Test Results: Blackcell 40A 3100mAh 18650...exaggerated ratings, DO NOT BUY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the estimated ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

84F69E99-D91D-47EA-958D-33D3EC973FB0.jpeg 89D0584D-A567-42DE-963A-DCA716B29E59.jpeg 36F427D6-EA57-4469-B4FD-D8A8EBD9266B.jpeg E01C6861-F61F-44C8-9680-B3F8EA853651.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This Blackcell has an exaggerated capacity rating and a hugely exaggerated current rating. Its performance and appearance are identical to the 20A 3000mAh LG HG2.

Due to the exaggerated ratings I am giving this cell a Do Not Buy recommendation.

Blackcell has told me that they are rewrapping their 18650’s and will be issuing some sort of recall for the ones out on the market right now. They say they want to work with the community to have more accurate ratings on their batteries from now on. I told them that their actions will be what‘s important. We’ll see what happens.

The new wraps are supposed to have both an accurate continuous current rating and a ”pulse” rating. As this pulse rating is useless I am not happy to hear it will be used but an accurate continuous rating is a good first step. I will update you when I know more about all of this.

Continuous Current Discharge Graph
    4658DC23-CA7E-46BB-8684-4DAAA2930496.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    40DB43AD-13F2-4F6C-8B1E-023D6EA5489F.jpeg

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/list-of-battery-tests.7436/

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread