Bench Test Results: CoilArt 40A 4000mAh 21700…grotesquely overrated, a poor 20A performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it only says "max" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

Cell photos: https://imgur . com/a/9e0dX
    (Sorry for the split link but direct links to Imgur do not display properly)

Bottom Line
    This is a poor performing 21700 cell with a preposterous 40A rating. It appears almost identical to the Basen 30A 4000mAh 21700 but performs a bit worse than the Basen.

Its 40A rating can’t even be considered a “pulse” or “max” rating as it drops to under 3.2V for the first pulse, freshly charged. This is clearly not a 40A cell.

It performs worse than the iJoy 40A 3750mAh 21700. The CoilArt’s greater voltage sag results in at least 30% less vaping time at moderate to high current levels.

Its capacity falls short of 4000mAh in my testing. Since I’m sure I don’t have the worst performing examples of this cell out there I have to assume that others will test even a bit lower.

I am rating this cell at 20A and 3850mAh. I recommend staying below about 40W though to prevent excessive voltage sag and reduced vaping time.

This cell has a plastic top insulating ring so juice spills shouldn’t damage the ring.

Two cells from The Cloudy Vapor (www.thecloudyvaper.com) and two from CoilArt were donated for the purposes of testing. Thank you!

Continuous-Current Test Results
    CoilArt 40A 4000mAh 21700 CC Tests.jpg CoilArt 40A 4000mAh 21700 Capacity Test.jpg CoilArt 40A 4000mAh 21700 CC Tests vs Others.jpg

Pulse-Current Test Results
    CoilArt 40A 4000mAh 21700 Pulse Tests.jpg CoilArt 40A 4000mAh 21700 Pulse Tests ZOOMED.jpg

Comments

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread