The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Bench Test Results, Early Samples: Molicel P42A 45A 4000mAh 21700...great 30A battery, beats 40T

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, Oct 28, 2018.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the ESTIMATED ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

8FA0EE0A-3D4E-4493-916F-9E80AA6214BA.jpeg 35CA8437-9D9B-4F67-BD9A-2A730EB11689.jpeg 21BC2B27-C85E-4885-AC1D-7EDDB88A61D7.jpeg 5B7D46BB-8E4B-4064-9BF5-C568543BD6B3.jpeg

Bottom Line
    Moli and NPE sent me several of these cells for testing and my thoughts about their performance. This is just a sneak peek at what’s coming, they hope to ship them to the rewrapping companies by the first quarter of 2019. I will retest them when they start shipping to the rewrappers. Some MIGHT be available before the end of the year though.

As of now, Moli won’t be making this cell directly available to us in its original wrapper due to existing agreements.

This is a great performing 21700 which hits harder and runs for longer than the Samsung 40T. It even competes with the Samsung 30T at 30A. The 30T hits harder for about the first third of the discharge but then the P42A holds its voltage up better and hits harder for the rest of the discharge.

If you use a mech and you change cells early then the 30T is the better choice because it hits harder at the start. But if you run your cells down to 3.5V-3.6V (when put on the charger), and wanted a slightly more consistent vape that could run for longer, then the P42A is probably worth trying.

The datasheet lists 45A as the max continuous current rating but notes that cycle life is reduced at high current levels. Running this cell continuously at 45A gets it much too hot for that to be a continuous current rating we can use for comparing to other cells.

The datasheet lists the minimum capacity at 4000mAh. The four P42A’s I tested delivered 4168mAh - 4182mAh at 800mA (0.2C) down to 2.5V. This is amazing consistency and they all easily meet their minimum capacity rating.

I am rating this Molicel at 30A and 4000mAh. Molicel is working on adding a good cycle life continuous current rating and a higher temperature-limited rating (much like Sony/Murata does) to their datasheets to make it easier for us to directly compare their cells to others used by us.

Five cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Moli (Molicel-E-One Moli Energy Corp-Company Profile) and N-Power Energy, Ltd. Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    765A8F60-4C95-446C-897D-2D8DB5437258.jpeg 7E9AE826-237F-43D1-8EEE-E1028AB48A04.jpeg 9FF13B9A-3A61-4C97-8525-05D82FC4EE77.jpeg 5143BBD0-A48E-4A0E-B9DE-4A841F7EC9C6.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    723F804C-A2D3-4E85-90F8-19F6522562B5.jpeg

Performance Specs
    - DC Internal Resistance = 18.5mOhms (milliohms) average for four cells.
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 10A continuous = 12.6Wh
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 20A continuous = 11.1Wh
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 30A continuous = 8.8Wh

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: https://www.patreon.com/batterymooch.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/list-of-battery-tests.7436/

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  2. Barkuti

Barkuti Senior Member ECF Veteran

Versus the Samsung 40T it looks like a slightly more energy dense cell with a tiny bit less internal resistance, just enough to deliver its extra capacity at the same high discharge rates with equal final temperature.
    The general li-ion battery OEM reluctance to see their cells in more regular consumer's hands with their boonful original wraps is a hurdle, a legal hurdle I think. :confused:

Cheers :)

3. Strtsmthng

Strtsmthng Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    And yet another great offering from Moli, many thanks for testing/sharing, Mooch!

Thank you for that, coming to think of it this makes a lot of sense!

• Like Like x 1