Bench Test Results: EnerCig EC-IFR20C 46A 2300mAh LiFePO4 26650...great cell, close to A123

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the estimated ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

E84AF2F5-B413-4614-96B7-459F8D6DDFBD.jpeg 9D293995-57ED-4FB9-859D-870C966B61AF.jpeg 6A238DD7-85B4-4D3E-9A6F-139F9FAB0CFD.jpeg FCFE3955-3119-4710-B23D-3005F4B2BCF8.jpeg

Bottom Line
    These EnerCig samples were sent to me as a possible alternative for the incredible A123 ANR26650M1-B cells and they come close. These cells can easily be used at 40A.

These are LFP chemistry Li-Ion cells though (LiFePO4, lithium-ferrous-phosphate) and there are things you need to take into account before using them.

DO NOT USE THESE CELLS UNLESS YOU ARE COMLETELY FAMILIAR WITH OHM’S LAW, SERIES MECH MOD OPERATION, AND THE DIFFERENT CHARGING REQUIREMENTS FOR THESE CELLS.

While they are the safest chemistry we have easy access to they run at a lower voltage, 3.2V nominal, versus the 3.6V/3.7V nominal for the typical cells used for vaping.

This means that at high current levels these EnerCig’s run at under 3.0V and can’t be used in regulated mods as the mod will quickly signal low/weak battery. They can be used in series in a mechanical mod though.

Critically important is that all LFP chemistry cells must be charged to about 3.6V.
    DO NOT USE THE STANDARD 4.2V CHARGING VOLTAGE!
    This EnerCig has a 3.65V charging voltage specification and you can easily charge at 2A.

While not delivering the same amount of energy as the A123 26650 (A123 = 6.9Wh vs EnerCig = 6.0Wh at 40A down to 2.5V) this EnerCig does hit harder for a lot of a 40A discharge than the A123.

A123 cell’s are becoming very hard to buy now. These EnerCig’s are a good replacement in my opinion for series setups that can make the best of the high current rating but lower voltage of LFP chemistry cells. You will need to use a 3.6V/3.65V charger.

These EnerCig’s are great performing cells with incredibly flat discharge curves. That is, their voltage is very steady during use (after the initial voltage sag) all the way until the end. They perform more like LiPo’s than our standard round cells and this is good for use in a mech. The extra safety provided by the LFP chemistry is a great bonus along with their very low DC internal resistance.

The two cells I tested delivered 2323mAh and 2379mAh at 0.5A down to 2.5V.

I am estimating this cell’s ratings to be the same as those listed in their datasheet, 46A and 2300mAh. As with any cell though, operating at below its rating is more efficient and extends cell life. Operating two in series can easily do this though as the higher voltage increases the power to the coils without having to run at high current levels.

Two cells were donated for the purposes of testing by EnerCig (EnerCig). Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    66E31A9D-FCBC-42EE-A35C-72780B28417C.jpeg 4DD37C5F-E3AE-40D1-A95C-45994B17B18D.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    72B41373-E3DA-45E9-8464-CA2CBF7B0964.jpeg

Performance Specs
    These cells operate at a lower voltage than the cells we normally use for vaping so the Wh specs for these EnerCig cells will be lower for the same running time.

DC Internal Resistance = 13.2mOhms (milliohms) average for the two cells.
    Total energy delivered down to 2.5V at 10A continuous = 6.5Wh (Watt-hours) average
    Total energy delivered down to 2.5V at 20A continuous = 6.4Wh (Watt-hours) average
    Total energy delivered down to 2.5V at 30A continuous = 6.2Wh (Watt-hours) average
    Total energy delivered down to 2.5V at 40A continuous = 6.0Wh (Watt-hours) average

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Amazing high power cell!
    I believe these ones' OEM is Heter, available to buy from EU warehouse at NKON: Heter/Enerpower 26650 2300mah - 46A LIFEPO4
    By the way, not that it is going to make a lot of difference given the discharge curve flatness of LiFePO4 but, isn't 2V the recommended cut-off voltage for it?
    Thanks a lot for reviewing this. :)

Cheers :D

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Amazing high power cell!
    I believe these ones' OEM is Heter, available to buy from EU warehouse at NKON: Heter/Enerpower 26650 2300mah - 46A LIFEPO4
    By the way, not that it is going to make a lot of difference given the discharge curve flatness of LiFePO4 but, isn't 2V the recommended cut-off voltage for it?
    Thanks a lot for reviewing this. :)

Cheers :D

2.5V is the rated cutoff voltage in the datasheet.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread