Bench Test Results: Hohm Tech Hohm Mega - 22A 2505mAh 18650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note my personal ESTIMATED ratings for the batteries I tested at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of property damage, personal injury, or even death. They are not supposed to be used outside of a fully protected battery pack and you use them at your own risk. Never exceed the battery’s true continuous current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

39B365B6-2904-4B23-8ACB-49B2B11D0846.jpeg 423E70A0-8E5C-477C-8035-33866CA40F3F.jpeg 47977D0D-F46B-4FDE-A846-A2225B895436.jpeg 3AA025D3-8B11-4CF0-AB82-0E0C71D94BA9.jpeg

Test Results
    This is an average performing “power” cell but the two I tested were very inconsistent and this cell is expensive. It performs a little better than the Samsung 25R8 at 10A but at 20A the Samsung is a little better. The Molicel P26A outperforms this cell at any current level and costs $2 to $7 less than the Hohm Mega.

Hohm Tech wraps continue to be the most confusing, hardest to read of any cell we can buy. Their ratings, being down to the single mAh and tenth of an ampere, are confusing and hard to remember. This doesn’t negatively affect their performance but I feel we should be doing all we can to make ratings easy to read, understand, and remember.

This cell has a 22A continuous current rating and a 29.5A “max” current rating. The datasheet says you can use it at up to 29.5A if you do not let the cell go over 80°C or go below 3.2V.

The two cells I tested delivered 2679mAh and 2767mAh. This is significantly above their 2505mAh rating but it is terrible consistency, some of the worst I have ever seen. The DC internal resistances were 15.5mOhms and 16.8mOhms, which is not good consistency. Because of these two things I would not want to use Hohm Mega cells in a battery pack. The better the cells are matched to each other the better the pack performs.

A test at this cell’s 29.5A “max” rating, down to its 3.2V cutoff, showed one cell running for a 35% shorter amount of time than the other. This is a huge difference and shows how inconsistent their performance can be. I am sure I do not have the two most inconsistent pair of cells from the batch either. At lower current levels the differences between them are smaller though.

Two cells were purchased for testing by me from IMRBatteries.

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    05A41078-A0E3-4E53-BFFC-96FBA34CAA79.jpeg 82BDC5B8-B443-4B3B-B4E9-0559F1DBD5BE.jpeg

Ratings and Performance Specs Graphic
    0A2DD0DF-A3E0-45C8-AB75-3868A1F88CC5.jpeg

I want to work for the community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability, battery and charger testing and news, and a say in what I test, then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery and device tests | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread