Bench Test Results: Imren 15A 3000mAh 18650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note my personal ESTIMATED ratings for the batteries I tested at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of property damage, personal injury, or even death. They should never be used outside of a fully protected battery pack and you use them at your own risk. Never exceed the battery’s true continuous discharge rating (CDR), never let it get colder than 0°C or hotter than 60°C, and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition. Never use a battery that is physically damaged in any way.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

6984AADC-3D90-4AF3-AA36-2980CFD4EA4A.jpeg 8DC33481-B723-400A-86B0-6FA32ED8D1F5.jpeg 1EF02C3A-F84E-49AF-8EEC-FD679E238DE0.jpeg FAA596B9-5CFB-4C42-8EAC-88FC783F0E5C.jpeg

Test Results
    This cell is a decent performer, equal to the Sinowatt 30SP, but not as good as the Samsung 30Q or Murata VTC6. I have not tested its cycle life. Check my 18650 Ratings and E-Scores table (link below) to see how well this cell performed against others.

The cell-to-cell performance consistency (for four cells) was decent but not as good as cells from the big manufacturers. However, the capacities for two of the cells was 3059mAh and 3064mAh and this is great consistency.

Its 15A continuous rating for this cell seems reasonable but the 35A pulse/burst rating is ridiculously high. A two second 35A discharge pulse from a freshly charged cell brought it down to about 3.25V.

Was this 35A rating based on voltage sag? Cell temperature? Cycle life? A combination of these things? Or was it just something the cell can survive for a couple of pulses?

If we just say the rating is 35A does that mean I can keep pulsing the cell at 35A until it is empty? No, that would make the cell much too hot! We need to know how the rating was set and what limits it has to know how it can be properly used. Otherwise it is a useless number.

Some of the large manufacturers have higher non-continuous ratings but they tell you the limits for the rating (voltage sag, max temperature, effect on duty cycle, etc.). I would love to see Imren do the same.

Imren has told me that they are committed to using accurate ratings and are even willing to get rid of the high pulse/burst/max ratings on the wrap. This is great to hear but we will have to see what happens. It will take time for Imren to redo the wraps and get them into distribution though.

Their continuous ratings seem to be accurate (more test reports coming soon). It’s the other numbers that are a problem for me and I look forward to seeing what Imren does.

Four cells were donated for testing by Imren (18650 Battery Shop - Rechargeable Batteries in USA | IMREN). Thank you!

18650 Ratings and E-Scores Table:
    18650 Battery Ratings Table | E-Cigarette Forum

20700/21700 Ratings and E-Scores Table:
    20700/21700 Battery Ratings | E-Cigarette Forum

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    06A0903D-1732-4675-9E98-12EDFA6E6184.jpeg

Ratings and Performance Specs Graphic
    2E5EAB9F-461E-49E1-B62D-28BA15D6E9A3.jpeg

I want to work for the community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability, battery testing and news, and a say in what I test, then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery and device tests | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread