Bench Test Results: Imren Gold 20A 3000mAh 18650...almost accurately rated but useless “max” rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the estimated ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

85B34628-2FB3-4692-A7FE-496469BED967.jpeg 716909E4-CFC7-43C8-A5C8-7D3ECD777289.jpeg EC0BDB7C-339C-442C-A204-82F7D178A26B.jpeg FEFEF3C6-6EA4-491E-B756-D8A6ED0106AD.jpeg

Bottom Line
    While this cell has a useless large 40A “max” current rating on the wrap it has an accurate 20A continuous current rating. Its capacity rating is a bit exaggerated though. It looks and performs identically to the LG HG2.

I am thrilled that the continuous discharge rating (CDR) is mentioned on the wrap but I hate seeing the use of a “max” current rating, particularly when it’s printed a lot larger than the CDR. I hope Imren removes the max rating soon.

The two cells I tested delivered 2929mAh and 2931mAh at 0.5A down to 2.5V. Since these appear to be LG HG2’s, which are rated at 3000mAh, it’s possible that they are lower grade cells. I can’t say for sure though.

I am estimating this Imren’s ratings at 20A and 2900mAh.

Two cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Liion Wholesale (Liion Wholesale Batteries | Li-ion battery/cell distributor). Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    7D9B9D27-7521-457D-8C28-B9B158B1A973.jpeg 12E1EDD7-85F5-4C84-B6CE-5736319EB3C4.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    3837D988-F369-4E06-9F52-3DA304783C1B.jpeg

Performance Specs
    - DC Internal Resistance = 25.9mOhms (milliohms) average for the two cells.
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 10A continuous = 7.6Wh (Watt-hours) average
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 20A continuous = 5.0Wh (Watt-hours) average

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon.

Imren paid a fee to be moved to the front of the testing queue, which currently has a 10-12 week backlog. This cannot influence my test results as they pay in advance, have no say about what is in this report, and I don’t care if any company never does this or donates batteries again. My reputation is a lot more important than any battery donation or payment.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread