Bench Test Results: LG H20 2000mAh 18650...good performer but top contact too easily dented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the ESTIMATED ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

6319260F-A44B-4B2F-BABB-8BE951DC53F1.jpeg F004A99D-A8FB-40D4-908C-E6BD3B9017F2.jpeg AEFC34B0-9D76-4227-97C3-9D11803B5823.jpeg 496443F9-D9BD-4729-AE40-AD6A4069DD4A.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This is a good performing cell with a big issue. The top contact metal is the thinnest I’ve seen and dents VERY easily. I am giving this cell a Do Not Buy Recommendation because that can be a safety issue. This includes the purple Vapcell 30A 2000mAh rewrap of his cell too. A badly dented top contact can affect the top seal of the battery and/or prevent the venting disk under the top contact from working properly.

The H20’s 2000mAh capacity and low internal resistance makes it sound like a competitor for the Samsung 20S but the H20 runs hotter and doesn’t hit as hard as the 20S. It’s still a good performing cell but there are other great choices like the 20S, 24S, VTC5D, VTC6A, P28A, P26A, and others to choose from.

I can’t find a datasheet anywhere to get the H20’s capacity rating but the two I tested delivered 2057mAh and 2062mAh at 400mA (0.2C) down to 2.5V. This is incredible consistency and is typical of cells from the big manufacturers.

Without a datasheet I don’t know how LG rates them for continuous current discharges but it’s somewhere around 25A in my opinion.

While this is a good performing cell I recommend not using it or the Vapcell G20 for vaping because of how easily the top contact gets dented (a safety hazard).

Two cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Vapcell (www.vapcelltech.com). Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    7A8152CD-2824-4835-91F5-D811A632F1C8.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    81297E21-3E4E-43EF-823E-D1073CD30956.jpeg

Performance Specs
    - DC Internal Resistance = 12.4mOhms (milliohms) average for two cells.
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 10A continuous = Not available
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 20A continuous = Not available

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I think this deserves a being seen "full size":

7a8152cd-2824-4835-91f5-d811a632f1c8-jpeg.813403

Sammy's 20S is clearly a better cell. It stays cooler and sags a lot less throughout most of the usable range. Despite the two delivering practically the same 1.9 Ah down to 2.5V, it's obvious that the 20S would hit harder in a mech and deliver more watt-hours in a regulated mod.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I think this deserves a being seen "full size":

Sammy's 20S is clearly a better cell. It stays cooler and sags a lot less throughout most of the usable range. Despite the two delivering practically the same 1.9 Ah down to 2.5V, it's obvious that the 20S would hit harder in a mech and deliver more watt-hours in a regulated mod.

It would run longer in a mech too. Typically they’re taken down to about 3.2V or so (around 3.6V when put on a charger) and the 20S would run perhaps 25% longer.

Reactions: Rossum
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread