Bench Test Results: LG H26 2600mAh 18650...good performer but top contact too easily dented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the ESTIMATED ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

3EB850FE-C4B1-4B66-81F2-802A2AAC1D93.jpeg 7E443E02-E23F-4C67-9A19-E4FDB8304645.jpeg 92447AEE-F780-41E2-8D5C-BA7BF95FB5EE.jpeg FFDA9CAA-C7D7-491A-9B6B-257CA90B705C.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This is a good performing cell with a big issue. The top contact metal is the thinnest I’ve seen and dents VERY easily. I am giving this cell a Do Not Buy Recommendation because that can be a safety issue. This includes the red Vapcell 25A 2600mAh rewrap of his cell too. A badly dented top contact can affect the top seal of the battery and/or prevent the venting disk under the top contact from working properly.

The H26’s 2600mAh capacity and decent internal resistance makes it sound like a competitor for the Sony VTC5A or VTC5D and indeed it does perform better than the Sony VTC5A and essentially identically to the Sony VTC5D. A real shame about the top contact!

I can’t find a datasheet anywhere to get the H26’s capacity rating but the two I tested delivered 2594mAh and 2597mAh at 520mA (0.2C) down to 2.5V. This is incredible consistency and is typical of cells from the big manufacturers. While the capacities I measured did not reach 2600mAh they are very close and the minimum capacity spec for the H26 is probably under 2600mAh. The cells I tested might have not been Grade A.

Without a datasheet I don’t know how LG rates them for continuous current discharges but it’s somewhere around 20A-25A in my opinion.

While this is a good performing cell I recommend not using it or the Vapcell G26 for vaping because of how easily the top contact gets dented (a safety hazard). If you decide to use the LG H26 or Vapcell G26 it’s at your own risk. Check the top contact every day! If the contact is denting then recycle and replace the cell. Never use a cell with a dented top or bottom contact.

Two cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Vapcell (www.vapcelltech.com). Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    E27E42A1-7F00-48E5-BBDF-9E8C81A27825.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    C052B63E-E2D6-4AF0-818F-6E23444D4C9B.jpeg

Performance Specs
    - DC Internal Resistance = 15.6mOhms (milliohms) average for two cells.
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 10A continuous = Not available
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 20A continuous = Not available

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    @Mooch I was wondering about this and looking for your expert opinion. Say I’m charging an 18650 at 3amps, if that cell stays cool does it hurt the battery at all? Doesn’t have to be that battery at that charge rate, it’s just I have a Miboxer charger that monitors temp and will lower the charge rate if it gets hot. I’ve never felt a battery get really warm charging with this charger. So if I avoid the heat will my cells keep a nice long life regardless of the charge rate? Thanks for all you do and your time reading this.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    @Mooch I was wondering about this and looking for your expert opinion. Say I’m charging an 18650 at 3amps, if that cell stays cool does it hurt the battery at all? Doesn’t have to be that battery at that charge rate, it’s just I have a Miboxer charger that monitors temp and will lower the charge rate if it gets hot. I’ve never felt a battery get really warm charging with this charger. So if I avoid the heat will my cells keep a nice long life regardless of the charge rate? Thanks for all you do and your time reading this.

Heat is a cell’s worst enemy, just what we call a bit warm, but there can be other internal processes that accelerate aging.

I don’t know enough to be able to say that any charge rate that doesn’t heat up a cell a lot is okay. I can only recommend staying under the “standard” charge rate for long cell life and never exceeding the “fast” or “rapid” charge rate for the cells you use.

Check my blog for the link to my Charging Rates table. The manufacturer’s recommended rates are there for many cells.

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    Heat is a cell’s worst enemy, just what we call a bit warm, but there can be other internal processes that accelerate aging.

I don’t know enough to be able to say that any charge rate that doesn’t heat up a cell a lot is okay. I can only recommend staying under the “standard” charge rate for long cell life and never exceeding the “fast” or “rapid” charge rate for the cells you use.

Check my blog for the link to my Charging Rates table. The manufacturer’s recommended rates are there for many cells.
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. My Miboxer C4-12 will read the IR of the battery and pick a charge rate when you insert a battery. I’ve noticed it will go to 3a if the IR is low, which is much higher then recommended. Although it constantly reads temperature so I’m sure it lowers that rate pretty quick. It’s just my charger and cells only get slightly warm and still finish an 18650 from 3.4 volts to 4.2 volts in an hour. That’s why I asked the question in case anyone was wondering. Thanks again Mooch.

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Very recently a review of this cell was published at lygte-info.dk so I headed here. Mmm, good to see Mooch already gave it a go.
    Maximum cell temperature in Henrik's review did not surpassed 75°C absolute maximum at 30A rate, this is a bit different from Mooch's result. Maybe Henrik received A grade cells?
    Concerning the flimsy top contact I can provide a little DIY advice: a low temperature solder flat blob. This may not be a solution for everyone, but it a solution is anyway.
    That triple leg top is pretty close to Samsung's shape.

:)

• Informative
    Reactions: mimöschen

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Maximum cell temperature in Henrik's review did not surpassed 75°C absolute maximum at 30A rate, this is a bit different from Mooch's result. Maybe Henrik received A grade cells?

Directly comparing results from different testers is problematic at best. A lot depends on how we’re measuring and the tools we use. Equally valid, but different, testing methodologies can lead to different measurements. Both are “correct” though.

Do you know if he’s using a thermocouple or using a thermistor? If he measures with the wrap on that can lower the measured temp a touch too.

• Informative
    Reactions: HigherStateD

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I have a couple of older LG HG2 (3 years old) whose positive contact appear to be sunken (not dented). They weren't like that when I purchased them from one of our recommended and trusted battery suppliers. They have lost quite a bit of their original capacity so I have discontinued using them in my battery rotation. I don't believe they have vented as they still perform reasonably well for their age and usage.

I use primarily Samsung 30Q's, and just received 4 new Sony VTC6's from IMR Batteries to replace my four LG HG2's.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this "sunken" phenomenon with their Lg batteries?

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Concerning Mooch's comments, Henrik does place the temperature sensor over the cell wrap. As to which sensor type, no idea.
    I've seen cells (NCR18650B) badly dented out of a fall inside a flashlight, and witnessed small dents in the rear of some cells just by the sheer pressure of my modified flashlight tailcaps.

:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread