Bench Test Results: Molicel INR20700A 35A 2800mAh 20700...the five “leg” battery rewrapped by many

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the ESTIMATED ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

8F101C5C-AD1B-454F-9102-03459D207770.jpeg 2EB9C8B3-C123-4A65-B059-76ABE6861B40.jpeg EBDFA6E3-8495-40BD-9715-7D04E05AF61B.jpeg 50CE4F70-6EB2-4710-A2F1-DCF84B76059E.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This is the five “leg” top contact 20700 that was rewrapped by so many companies earlier this year. It is a true 30A cell that is the best choice for over 25A use since the Sanyo NCR20700A and NCR2070C are not available anywhere.

If you only need a 20A-25A rated cell though, about 60W-75W in a regulated device, then the “tabbed” top contact 3000mAh iJoy or the Golisi S32 3200mAh would probably give you a bit more vaping time before recharging.

E-One Moli Energy Corp. (“Moli”) and N-Power Energy, Ltd (their distributor for the vaping community) sent me four cells from Taiwan for testing that they said were Grade A. This will allow me to detect when a battery wrapping company is using unauthorized lower grade cells.

Moli won’t be making this cell directly available to us in its original wrapper, due to agreements with their existing customers, but it is rewrapped by several companies. I will be testing/retesting some of these rewrapped cells soon. Some vendors might still have this cell in its original wrap though, described as an “OEM” cell.

The datasheet for this cell lists it as having a 35A “maximum discharging current” rating but it also says “cycle life is reduced at high rates”. I agree as this cell reaches almost 90°C at 35A and that is much too high a temperature for 35A to be a rating that ensures good cycle life.

The datasheet lists the minimum capacity at 2800mAh but the typical capacity in my testing is about 3000mAh. The four Molicels I tested delivered 3006mAh - 3029mAh at 600mAh (0.2C) down to 2.5V. This is fantastic consistency.

I am rating this Molicel at 30A and 2800mAh minimum/3000mAh typical.

Four cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Moli (Molicel-E-One Moli Energy Corp-Company Profile) and N-Power Energy, Ltd. Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    3F6FD2FE-4078-4A81-8448-CD2213DA95FD.jpeg

Datasheet Specifications
    2A53C5A8-5A50-42C4-A324-85552C0A3007.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    8DE4BDD7-6E9B-42E0-B810-17D2C67CF1EA.jpeg

Performance Specs
    - DC Internal Resistance = 18.6mOhms (milliohms) average for the two cells.
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 10A continuous = 8.3Wh
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 20A continuous = 6.4Wh
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 30A continuous = 4.5Wh

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hello Mooch, is it possible to include a recommended charge rate on all your battery testings. As in 1 amp charge or 2 amp charge etc? Basically what the battery is capable of handling a typical charge. Thank you

Check my pinned post for the link to my list of charging rates. If your battery is not there you’ll have to check with the battery wrapping company or manufacturer.

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread