Bench Test Results: Murata VTC5 18650...performs the same as Sony VTC5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the ESTIMATED ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

D7A738F1-5ACD-4A57-A0AC-8192A251FF06.jpeg 59694C15-4517-4D38-AB33-65CF4F988A72.jpeg A083050E-14C3-42D2-891B-C3CDF91607D9.jpeg 979E7262-12F2-4880-ADC0-031973492944.jpeg 4A3859CD-A24F-4A8C-8E0B-824292BDBBF5.jpeg

Bottom Line
    In September 2017, Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd finalized the purchase of a lot of Sony’s battery operations, including the cells we use.

Murata branded VTC cells are starting to become available to us and this was a test of the Murata VTC5. I’m happy to say nothing has changed, the VTC5 is still a decent cell. It even has the twin “dimples” on top of the cell, just outside the top contact, that all 18650 Sony VTC cells had.

The two cells I tested delivered 2624mAh and 2647mAh at 520mAh (0.2C) down to 2.5V.

I do not have the Murata datasheet but Sony rated the VTC5 at 20A continuous with a temperature limited rating of 30A if the cell does not get hotter than 80°C. I do not know if Murata will continue to use the temperature limited rating though so I am not estimating it for this cell.

I am ESTIMATING this Murata’s ratings to be 20A continuous and 2600mAh.

Two cells were donated for the purposes of testing by IMRBatteries (Earth's #1 source for IMR 18650 Batteries, Chargers, Cases & Wraps | IMRbatteries.com). Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    3529EAF6-B938-4B76-B6A2-1AFF60CAA81F.png

Ratings Graphic
    826B43D4-9F1C-4B4E-8450-E856E481A766.jpeg

Performance Specs
    - DC Internal Resistance = 20.9mOhms (milliohms) average for the two cells.
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 10A continuous = 6.3Wh (Watt-hours) average
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 20A continuous = 4.3Wh (Watt-hours) average

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Good to see that Murata appears to be continuing the same quality that Sony had.

mnke18650.jpg

I remember when Imren purchased MNKE a few years ago. MNKE was known to manufacture a reputable high quality battery but always seemed to be in financial trouble. There were often rumors that the company would either dissolve or be sold. Imren, a company known as a re-wrapper, purchased MNKE and it was hoped that they would continue to manufacture a quality battery. As you know Mooch, the quality of Imren batteries are inconsistant at best, and we have for the most part not seen a battery of "MNKE quality" from them.

I know you attempted to test the 26650 Imren Orange 60A 3600mAh
    "Could not test. The difference in performance between the two cells I had was too large to know what the average performance might be." - Mooch

Last edited:

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    Funny, but if you check UL-File MH46698 you don´t find anything!
    So it can be a Fake number or this file don´t exist anymore.
    Regarding 60A on 26650...A123-Systems is the only battery in this size, that can reach such currents. It is LiFePo4 (3,2V) and has 2500 mAh...I would rather guess 3600 mAh and 60A belongs to those China industrial standards :banana:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Funny, but if you check UL-File MH46698 you don´t find anything!
    So it can be a Fake number or this file don´t exist anymore.
    Regarding 60A on 26650...A123-Systems is the only battery in this size, that can reach such currents. It is LiFePo4 (3,2V) and has 2500 mAh...I would rather guess 3600 mAh and 60A belongs to those China industrial standards :banana:

It probably wouldn’t be on the complete device list as this is an internal component. Is there a separate search for components?

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I have some VTC5s that are four years old now. For me, they have been "Never Say Die!" cells. I don't know how many cycles they have on them because they only spent about a year being cycled through my ADV mod. Since then, they've been cycled through my nightstand mod, which goes 2-3 days between fillings and a fresh cell. Now my cycles aren't hard at all (0.75Ω on a mech squonker) and they basically never pull the cells below 3.6-3.7V (resting). On the other hand, I've done nothing to optimize their storage either. They get re-charged when they come out of a mod and then sit at full charge until they go back in. So are they "like new" after four years? No, not quite. I believe they've lost a bit of capacity (will be testing that soon), but they still have an astonishingly good AC internal resistance, and they do not lose more than 10mV after being charged. Other cells I've used long-term drop as much as 50mV, and what seems like more internal resistance increase...

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    UL Online Certifications Directory
    UL.JPG

I would usually start with the name of the company, but many times they have very complicated names.

If I have a UL file number (like in this case) I would search below this category and if I have nothing...I would just use any reasonable keyword and search along all results...

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread