The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Bench Test Results: Samsung 20S 18650...hardest hitting 18650 right now, beats HB6 and VTC6A

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, May 21, 2018.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the estimated ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

F0D16B12-78A2-4A63-94B5-16DA723FF4BE.jpeg 3C04C6CF-C009-4C89-B47F-3E427FFEF833.jpeg 998F63F4-E449-46A5-84B6-5BD02DC948ED.jpeg 798A02D7-46BA-4418-B9FC-CEE3BF2B8D0A.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This is a great performing cell. Until now the only 30A 18650’s we had were the 1500mAh LG HB2/4/6. The Samsung 20S not only has increased capacity over those cells but it performs MUCH better too, giving us a lot more vaping time at high current levels.

It hits harder than any other 18650 down to about 3.3V and appears to have a true 30A rating.

At lower current levels, under 20A or so, there are better higher capacity choices. But at 30A the Samsung 20S is the clear winner. In the 20A-30A range it is a close race between the 20S and the VTC5A/5D/6A. You’ll have to test them to see which performs better for the way you vape

I don’t have the datasheet yet to know Samsung’s ratings but I am estimating them to be 30A continuous and 2000mAh. If needed, these ratings will be adjusted once I see the datasheet.

Two cells were purchased for the purpose of testing by me.

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs and Comparisons
    D819F0CB-3525-4A67-BF9B-9EEF0E40553B.jpeg B5C77DAA-AB78-4101-8B4F-163DD402B048.jpeg 3D48B811-8AF9-4D8D-AD8B-36CC2ECF5C5C.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    948D793C-ED15-4F2A-90FB-2A734A71D1F0.jpeg

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

• Like Like x 13
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Wiamiere

Wiamiere Full Member

Dec 4, 2017
    For anyone intrested, these cells are now available from Ecolux for only £5.89 each, which is cheaper than the vapcell 2000mah 38a rewrap version of this cell which is £6-£7.50

Samsung 20S 18650 2000mAh 30A Battery

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    Awesome sauce, thanks Mooch.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jotohomomoto

jotohomomoto Full Member

Jun 19, 2014
    United States
    is there EVER a reason to purchase a "re-wrap" battery?? It seems a pretty good rule of thumb to just stick with the mainstream electronics companies, i.e., Samsung, Sony, LG, etc.)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    Congrats on hitting 20k subs on YT as well Mooch :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 4
  7. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Availability...the rewraps are often available first.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Ephraim Cooper

Ephraim Cooper Moved On

Aug 14, 2018

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ephraim Cooper

Ephraim Cooper Moved On

Aug 14, 2018
    I just bought 12. 3 sets for me and 3 for my wife.

• Like Like x 1
  10. billthetroll

billthetroll Senior Member ECF Veteran

I bought 10 of these found them 2 for 8$ so I jumped on that fast and they was from a real online store I trust.one of my friends put a 37a build on one of these 's and it didn't even get warm.we was playing with some 18awg kantha we had never got to use because........Well let's face it not to many 's can handle that low....and before those people start saying "that's not safe" or you'll blow your face off trying to show off" we was just seeing how fast 18awg kanthal would fire and even at low ohm it seems kinda worthless.at 5 wraps id say it would be ok but that's like 47a (I'm sure that's not spot on) and nothing would fire that safe.I mean at lest that's my opinion i could be wrong.thanks mooch for another great review of a great Samsung battery

• Like Like x 1
  11. mimöschen

mimöschen Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2016
    47amps isn't safe on any mod?
    You've still got a lot to learn my young little padawan.
    With that one even 300a shouldn't pose a risk:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. billthetroll

#1 I would vape it all day (always have to put a disclaimer in this forum, if you don't you'll have 20 people blabbing on and on about ohm's law and how you need to learn it).I told mooch one time we did a .08 on a Samsung 30q and the battery didnt even get hot that's why I got the Samsung 20s because mooch told me to use these cells instead.I'd enjoy them more for the way I vape that was like 8 months ago.this battery has been so hard to find, seems like this week it's everywhere.#2 what I really want to know but hadn't seen yet is what's the pulse on this bar and I'm sure someone is going to say "but but but you can't trust the pulse" I'm sure it's got to be nuts on this battery.plus that box fat box is holding is one of the worse parallel gimmick boxes ever.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zaryk

Zaryk Ultra Member Verified Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    The reason this happens is not because we, well at least most of us, don't think that you do not know what you are doing, but rather the fact that uneducated members/visitors can see what you are saying and could take it the wrong way (like that it is fine for them to do) and may cause issues for these that truly don't know. While I believe you personally know what you are doing, I don't believe that it should be openly discussed without some sort of explanation, or disclaimer as you put it, first. Staying with mooch's CDR should be priority #1 for those that do not have the experience and knowledge in batteries and electricity .

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. billthetroll

see and once again it dammed of you do dammed if you dont in this forum.I said it's basically a bad idea and I get called on it by being called a "paddawon" like I'm in star wars lol then I answer back then the "you shouldn't talk about that"comment yes I know we shouldn't so tag his comment not mine.plus I didn't know it was a huge problem with noobs buying up 18awg kanthal.looks like they should have watched more rip trippers.

• Like Like x 1
  15. billthetroll

And no his comment not wasn't "don't say that because of new people" and it was "ooo there's lots of bats and mods that can do 37a.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Zaryk

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I'm not saying not to talk about it.
    I'm not defending any other comments in this thread.
    I am not saying how you should vape.
    I'm not saying your a padawan.

I am just explaining why you see us respond in such ways most of the time. I quoted the exact comment of yours I was responding to. Take it how you will, and react however you choose. But what I said is factual.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. billthetroll

Lol, so you can't see the guy I was talking too?because you seem to be talking about something you have no clue about.but continue on by all means to ramble on about who knows whatand people wonder why the same 20 people comment and no new people stick around........Ta!Da! This is why.you lost me from the first comment you made about how you didn't think I know what I'm doing or something I never said you did say that, you just popped up like someone was talking to you.just let it go man.I was talking about how good this battery is and how mooch did a great job with this test because this battery can take a hell of a pounding, funny how some people are stuck in 2014 and can't seem to understand that we can vape safely at 35 40a easy back then we all get it that you couldn't go past 15a and I was saying basically how we shouldn't say vaping at 37a is ok.but keep on going.tell us how noobs are retarded and can't figure out simple battery safety.I believe people are smarter then that.no way someone would vape at 37a there first build.it's people like you that makes people scared and they go back to smoking and that's "factual"

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    No battery we use has a valid pulse rating. Some have pulse numbers but they’re useless unless we know the criteria for setting the rating and it matches the criteria we want to use. Do we want it based on safety (what threshold?), cycle life, voltage sag, temperature, a combination of those?

There are a huge number of ways to set a pulse rating but unless every battery uses the same method, and that method matches what every vaper is looking for, the ratings are useless as we can’t use them to compare any one battery to another.

Any battery can be run at far, far above its continuous rating but that is just a simple capability with increasing risk as the current level gets higher and higher. We start everyone at the continuous rating or lower and then, if they want to, they can decide how much risk they want to take and whether they want to go beyond the continuous rating. It’s up to each of us.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Zaryk

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    You should read before going off. As you can see by my unedited post and what I quoted from it, you obviously just saw what you wanted.

Im not gonna fight with you. Im not wasting my time on you. Good day sir.

• Like Like x 2
  20. billthetroll

Not to mention it's 100% safe to vape 37a on a rx200,alien so on and so on.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1