Bench Test Results: Samsung 25R8 20A 2500mAh 18650...latest version of the 25R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the ESTIMATED ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a physically and electrically protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition. Use of any of these batteries is AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

972DB13B-F141-4087-B5C5-3A8EFBB140CD.jpeg 314AF0D6-544D-4F6D-9D22-5DD81F3029CC.jpeg

Test Results
    This is the newest version of the classic Samsung 25R. It can be identified by an “8” at the start of the bottom line of printing on the wrap (see photo below). The previous versions, the 25R5 and 25R6, had a “5” or “6” at the start of the bottom line. As far as I know there was no 25R7 available to us.

The 25R8 also has the new “FIRE HAZARD! NOT FOR E-CIG OR VAPE!” warning printed on the wrap. All of the Samsung round cells we buy will eventually have a warning like this. Nothing in the cells has changed as far as I know though. In my opinion this warning is just being added to cover Samsung legally since all round cells are never supposed to be used outside of a fully protected battery pack. We use them at our own risk.

The 25R8 uses the new metal can codes too. The top line of code printed on the can should have a letter or number and then “25R” for all genuine Samsung 25R8’s being made now. Older 25R cells will not have “25R”. They will have a five as the second character of the first line of codes. The other characters in that first code line don’t matter to us.

Having “25R” in the first code line does not guarantee that it is a genuine 25R8 cell though! Codes can be faked. But if the code is not “25R” for a cell claiming to be a Samsung 25R8 (or recently manufactured 25R6) then it is probably a fake.

THESE CODES CAN CHANGE AT ANY TIME!

I can only report what I know at the time but as soon as I can confirm that a code change is legitimate I will post about it.

The 25R8 performs essentially the same as the 25R5/25R6 down to about 3.0V but runs for a little longer if allowed to run below 3.0V. They might have made some life cycle improvements too but that is just a guess.

All Samsung 25R versions have a max continuous discharge rating of 20A. I recommend staying below 15A to increase performance (reduce voltage sag) and extend cell life.

The two cells I tested both delivered 2550mAh and had DC internal resistances of 17.8mOhm and 18.1mOhm. This is astounding consistency, typical of cells from Samsung, and both cells exceed Samsung’s 2500mAh nominal capacity rating.

These cells were donated for testing by 18650BatteryStore (www.18650batterystore.com). Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    3A4C0ED0-33B5-486F-BD4F-8A9C651CAE34.jpeg 707B459A-ABA4-4EAD-84CF-5723B0E138EF.jpeg

Ratings and Performance Specs Graphic
    CD7A02C6-F0E7-411C-8915-2D7149F09F10.jpeg

I want to work for the community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability, battery and charger testing and news, and a say in what I test, then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery and device tests | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

mcha13

Apr 23, 2021
    Hi Mooch, I hope you're well. I'm a student working on my senior design project where we're attempting to design a lightweight quadcopter drone (Ours is 251.9g) that flies for 30 minutes. We stumbled upon your blog relatively recently and we've been doing our best to try and get some new batteries while using your research as reference. We currently have an Efest 3000mAh 20A/35A 18650 battery cell and we saw your review of it which helped us see that we should try to grab a new one. In our drone's configuration, we use 2 batteries in series and the drone will not take off when our batteries reach 3V per cell. With this, we've only achieved a flight time of 21 minutes. During our flight test we stayed around 6A and we reach 9A for a takeoff, so we've been looking into batteries rated for at least 10A. We'd love to get in contact with you if you could help give us some input with which batteries we should purchase!

Reactions: Superuser187

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hi Mooch, I hope you're well. I'm a student working on my senior design project where we're attempting to design a lightweight quadcopter drone (Ours is 251.9g) that flies for 30 minutes. We stumbled upon your blog relatively recently and we've been doing our best to try and get some new batteries while using your research as reference. We currently have an Efest 3000mAh 20A/35A 18650 battery cell and we saw your review of it which helped us see that we should try to grab a new one. In our drone's configuration, we use 2 batteries in series and the drone will not take off when our batteries reach 3V per cell. With this, we've only achieved a flight time of 21 minutes. During our flight test we stayed around 6A and we reach 9A for a takeoff, so we've been looking into batteries rated for at least 10A. We'd love to get in contact with you if you could help give us some input with which batteries we should purchase!

Try the Sanyo NCR18650GA and Hohm Tech Home Alone cells. They might give you a bit more run time. Otherwise you will need to go to the 21700 cell size where you can get up to 5000mAh with a 10A rating.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread