The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Bench Test Results: Sanyo NCR2070C 20700...outperforms the NCR20700A, estimated 30A 3500mAh

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the estimated ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

E921DE40-CDF2-49BE-AF59-BC5CBB29D0A3.jpeg A246D462-0489-45CD-B02B-634137C35EF0.jpeg 90A35762-2AD8-4A01-B879-635AB56AAA21.jpeg 7602C27F-072D-49AD-B593-D9D7613D937F.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This NCR2070C cell (not “20700C”) outperforms the Sanyo NCR20700A, making this cell the best performing 20700 available to us as of May, 2018.

The NCR2070C hits harder and runs for longer at both high and low current levels than the NCR20700A. It does run a bit hotter than the NCR20700A by 3°C to 5°C though.

The two cells I tested delivered 3471mAh and 3524mAh at 0.5A down to 2.5V. I suspect that this cell’s “minimum/rated” capacity is 3400mAh and its “typical/nominal” capacity is 3500mAh.

I am estimating this Sanyo’s ratings at 30A and 3500mAh. This might need to be adjusted once I have the datasheet.

I do not yet know who will be carrying it, who might be rewrapping it, or when it will become available. I will post when I do know.

Two cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Vapcell (www.vapcelltech.com).

Continuous Current Discharge Graph
    7D58AA17-F665-4550-9532-526A0D2E9DF8.jpeg

Comparison to NCR20700A
    B4845F24-5A73-45D7-9ACE-A619454DB619.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    0335029B-461D-4A4E-B2FD-BFDA25598FB2.jpeg

Performance Specs
    DC Internal Resistance = 15.5mOhms (milliohms) average for the two cells.
    Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 10A continuous = 9.8Wh (Watt-hours) average
    Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 20A continuous = 8.5Wh (Watt-hours) average
    Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 30A continuous = 6.6Wh (Watt-hours) average

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/list-of-battery-tests.7436/

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Wiamiere

Wiamiere Full Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Thanks for yet anotget test, I'd love to see a comparison to the 30T and 40T if that's possible Mooch :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wiamiere

Wiamiere Full Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Mooch, a query That I hope isn't over stepping my bounds because I'm very hesitent to ask but am very intrested and curious enough to ask (lol).....

Since this cell is a much better peformer, delivers over 1WH more than the QSO Orange 30a 3100mah 2070 and is stated as being the best 20700 to date.......how come the DCIR of this Sanyo is rated at 15.5mOhm and yet the QSO is lower than it, with a rating of 15.3mOhm?

Since, as far as I understand it, DCIR is a grat indicator of a cells overall performance and how hard it hits, I'm really confused that the NCR2070C is rated higher than the QSO?

Am I missing something and having another one of my outbursts of stupidity?

Thanks Mr Mooch! :)

4. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    The DC IR’s are essentially identical, indicating that both hit as hard on the first pulse. But this cell holds its voltage up better as the discharge continues, indicated by the higher Wh rating.

Capacity, current rating, DC IR, and Wh rating all need to be considered to select the best battery for the way you vape. No single spec or rating can do that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Wiamiere

Wiamiere Full Member

Dec 4, 2017

Ahhh, I understand now, so for a predominately mech' user like myself the DCIR and WH ratings in conjunction with the graphs are going to the best indicator for my needs, whilst for a broader picture, you need to take it all into account depending upon needs.
    Thanks Mooch, I really appreciate the clarity and your blummin' lightning fast, almost immediate response!

I have to say though, I'm still misterfied and in awe at how you manage to be in so many places at once; between instantly answering questions across all of facebook (your own page, various groups and other pages you've been tagged on/in), ECF, Patreon, your youtube channel etc, between watching and posting in the chat on many,many live YT vape shows, participating in various live YT shows, conducting testing on cells and other hardware, recording and editing videos for youtube, Speaking to, advising and assisting various vendors etc etc, and having a day job as well.....I'm astounded at how hard you work and how much you manage go get done, if we were to give you a productivity rating like you do for cells, your mOhm would be 0.0001mOhm lol

I'm starting to think you've cloned yourself! XD

Seriously though, I can only speak for myself but bloody hell are you appreciated buddy!

I promise I'll increase the relative pittance I've vouched to your Patreon as soon as I can afford to!

Have an awesome day matey!

6. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    The same to you. :)
    Thank you for your kind words and support!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.