Bench Test Results: Vapcell 20A 4500mAh 21700...cannot be rated yet, might be 13.5A Lishen rewrap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the estimated ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, Sanyo, or Molicel can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” batteries or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage.

You are responsible for your own safety! These batteries are designed and manufactured only for use in a battery pack with the proper physical and electronic protection. They were not designed for vaping (electronic cigarette) use or for use without battery pack protection circuitry. Use of these batteries is AT YOUR OWN RISK! Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

D1F00713-E5BB-4249-A094-79A0A2A35CDD.jpeg 0CE64904-317B-42EA-BC18-6C479C45B544.jpeg CADF4592-CD0D-4EB7-93D0-CC36E2639171.jpeg 3E5AB842-8165-4EB7-BC1D-66625989D1B6.jpeg

Bottom Line
    While this cell is identical in appearance to the great performing Lishen LR2170SF, and Vapcell says it is a rewrap of that Lishen cell, this Vapcell has a higher internal resistance and lower capacity than the Lishen. The Vapcells I tested (direct from Vapcell and also purchased from a vendor) could be a lower grade than the Lishen’s I tested recently.

Like the Lishen LR2170SF, this cell has two potential issues. The first is that it is a large cell and might not fit in chargers and mods that are already a snug fit with other 21700’s. The four I tested measured up to 21.6mm in diameter and 71.0mm long.

The second issue is its bottom venting feature. This can offer additional safety in case the battery is forced into thermal runaway as two vents (top and bottom) can help to keep the internal pressure down better than one. This can help prevent the cell from bursting as the top vent can sometimes become clogged during runaway.

But, in a mod the negative contact presses hard against this bottom vent and this could prevent its proper operation. I do not know how much this might or might not affect whether the cell would burst if it was forced into thermal runaway but it does concern me. The top vent would still be functional though.

The bottom vent could also be a concern for mechanical mod users. The bottom vent means this cell could vent from the bottom, or the top, or both the top and bottom if the cell was forced into thermal runaway. If a mech user is positioning the cell with its top towards the mech’s venting holes to try to help reduce the pressure inside the mech during thermal runaway just venting from the bottom could be a concern. You’ll have to decide if this is an issue for you or not.

The four cells I tested delivered 4423mAh to 4538mAh at 0.9A (0.2C) down to 2.5V. This is a larger than normal capacity range for cells from the non-Samsung/Sony/LG/Panasonic/Sanyo OEM’s. It is also a lot lower than the capacities of the Lishen LR2170SF’s I tested recently and might indicate that lower grade cells are being used by Vapcell. I am giving these Vapcell’s a capacity rating of 4400mAh.

In my opinion these are not 20A cells, especially if they are rewraps of the 13.5A-rated Lishen LR2170SF. Their internal resistance is higher and their capacity is a lot lower than the Lishen. I am unable to rate these Vapcell’s though until the SDS (Safety Data Sheet) and UN38.3 test report are available from Vapcell.

Two cells were purchased for the purposes of testing by me and four were provided for testing (two were selected) by Vapcell (Vapcell batteries, chargers, vape batteries). Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    F3CCAE3C-9943-4830-908E-B19BA4EA5A2D.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    174EBD68-9053-4BAE-840A-5FC8B79A5D84.jpeg

Performance Specs
    - DC Internal Resistance = 23.6mOhms (milliohms) average for the four cells.
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 5A continuous = Unavailable
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 10A continuous = 10.7Wh (Watt-hours) average

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread