Bench Test Results: Vapcell H10 – 10A 1000mAh 14500...slightly overrated capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the ESTIMATED ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a physically and electrically protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition. Use of any of these batteries is AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

762BB207-E5DA-4838-8C5B-19820D317E21.jpeg 74871A18-B86B-4B82-ADEE-466DFCD65E9F.jpeg BCC19C82-B6FB-451B-A76D-EF7F1F697364.jpeg 1D64D338-7AC0-49C1-BD84-94B0177723A4.jpeg

Test Results
    This is a decent cell but I recommend staying under 7A/20W for better performance and less voltage sag.

The capacity for the two Vapcells I tested was 957mAh and 958mAh at 200mA (0.2C) down to 2.5V. This is incredible consistency but these cells fail to meet their 1000mAh rating. I am rating them at 900mAh.

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    EF4C14C2-C09E-4DEE-871A-205DFF34884A.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    B483F292-A31D-42A6-BEE5-6CA11D95AE45.jpeg

Performance Specs
    • DC Internal Resistance = 39.9mOhms*** (milliohms) average for the two cells.
    • Watt-hours (energy) delivered at 15W (5A) down to 3.2V = 2.0Wh
    • Watt-hours (energy) delivered at 30W (10A) down to 3.2V = 1.4Wh
    • 2-sec puff count at 30W (10A) = 240
    • 2-sec puff count at 60W (20A) = 84
    I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability, battery and charger testing and news, and a say in what I test, then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

***I have switched test jigs, resulting in slightly lower IR readings versus my previous setup. Add 1.6mOhms to this IR value in order to compare these cells to others tested previously.

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Good looking cell. Manufactured by Heter as far as I know.
    I'd say the official capacity rating is 950 mAh, your figures match and cells meet such rating. Being small cells, I believe it is more correct to allow a higher granularity in the ratings.
    By looking at the curves it also is clear to me that, depending on cut-off voltage, there's a large difference in measured capacity. At 5 A looks like it barely meets 900 mAh down to 2.5 V.

Thanks Mooch. :)

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Good looking cell. Manufactured by Heter as far as I know.
    I'd say the official capacity rating is 950 mAh, your figures match and cells meet such rating. Being small cells, I believe it is more correct to allow a higher granularity in the ratings.
    By looking at the curves it also is clear to me that, depending on cut-off voltage, there's a large difference in measured capacity. At 5 A looks like it barely meets 900 mAh down to 2.8 V.

Thanks Mooch. :)

The odds of me having the two lowest capacity cells in the batch is very low. IMO, there will ones that are below 950mAh. For me, a rating is a rating. If it’s rated 1000mAh then no cell can ever be even a little below that.

Due to the very high internal resistance of small cells like these the available capacity at anything about low current levels will drop a lot. The rated capacity should only be measured at a discharge rate of “0.2C”, 200mA in this case.

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    So you stick to a “minimum or guaranteed capacity” rating scheme. That's fine, imo.
    Just fixed my post above, by the way. I wrote “at 5 A looks like it barely meets 900 mAh down to 2.8 V” but I wanted to say “down to 2.5 V” instead. It can be clearly seen that the attained capacity at 5 A down to 2.8 V is ≈830 mAh.
    Anyway, the shape of the curves has to do battery with chemistry and construction, and of course I have to say that I can clearly smell some trend to develop battery cells whose voltage drops steadily. This has a clear impact on the amount of useable capacity at high drain rates unless the cut-off is set rather low. I think this is meant to easen the life of the electronic devices used to measure battery state of charge. This is nothing new, I know, but can't say I like it much (I prefer flat curves, mech users too).
    997.gif

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread