Bench Test Results: Vapcell Purple 20A 4800mAh 21700…shamefully overrated, a Samsung 48G rewrap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it only says "max" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

Cell photos: https://imgur . com/a/TRF2I
    (Sorry for the split link but direct links to Imgur do not display properly)

Bottom Line
    This Vapcell is identical in performance and appearance to the great performing (for low power vapers) Samsung 48G cell. Samsung rates this cell at 9.6A continuous.

Vapcell, why rate it at 20A continuous? It becomes hot enough to boil water at that level and the voltage sag is huge. Simply inexcusable.

I am rating this Vapcell at 10A and 4800mAh.

Unfortunately, this cell has Vapcell’s usual paper top insulating ring so juice spills could damage the ring. Be careful.

After seeing the first posts of these test results Vapcell informed me that they will be changing the continuous current rating to 10A and switching to a plastic top insulating ring. They said they will send me the updated cells for testing then. If this happens I will post the new test results.

I expressed my anger that this was only happening after being caught exaggerating the rating so badly. But, it is a positive step and one that many other companies would not take. In the end, what is important is that we have our cells accurately marked.

Two cells from Vapcell were donated for the purposes of testing. Thank you!

Continuous-Current Test Results
    Vapcell Purple 20A 4800mAh 21700 CC Tests vs 48G.jpg

Pulse-Current Test Results
    No pulse testing was done as this is a Samsung 48G rewrap.

Comments

Last edited by a moderator:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Well, they do suck, but it's nice they are responsive to Mooch's feedback, at least.

Mooch, do vendors send you their cells knowing that they're completely overrated? I'm just interested by this company saying that since you rated it, they will change the ratings.... Don't they rate it themselves, first? Are they magically thinking that you will go along with the rating, because I just can't imagine that they don't know the actual specs of the batteries they are selling? I'm just kind of interested in this... :)

Anna

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Well, they do suck, but it's nice they are responsive to Mooch's feedback, at least.

Mooch, do vendors send you their cells knowing that they're completely overrated? I'm just interested by this company saying that since you rated it, they will change the ratings.... Don't they rate it themselves, first? Are they magically thinking that you will go along with the rating, because I just can't imagine that they don't know the actual specs of the batteries they are selling? I'm just kind of interested in this... :)

Anna

Quite a few companies either know very little about their batteries or believe what the factory tells themn (if using China made batteries). Some just flat out lie though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread