Bench Test Results: Vapcell Yellow B30 - 20A 3000mAh 18650…a great performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note my personal ESTIMATED ratings for the batteries I tested at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of property damage, personal injury, or even death. They are not supposed to be used outside of a fully protected battery pack and you use them at your own risk. Never exceed the battery’s true continuous current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

C37A566B-7E4F-4FB5-A356-EBFF86276E35.jpeg D2D31D8E-7B04-4A8F-ABCF-89323F72879C.jpeg 46ABCD6F-E163-460B-9015-B36860AC0E33.jpeg 5FBBEAF1-4225-4965-B5BA-45F1B5BCEFE3.jpeg

Test Results
    This cell is a great performer and its 20A rating seems reasonable. It performs almost as well as the Samsung 30Q at the start of a discharge and outperforms the 30Q by a little for the rest of the discharge. The Vapcell B30 outperforms the Vapcell Red R30.

This Vapcell B30 only runs a little bit hotter than the Samsung 30Q but I recommend staying under 15A if you are running it continuously. I do not know how this Vapcell’s cycle life compares to the long-lasting Samsung 30Q.

The two cells I tested delivered 3080mAh and 3097mAh. This is good consistency and exceeds this cell’s 3000mAh rating.

Two cells were donated for testing by Vapcell (18650 batteries, Vapcell batteries, 18650 Chargers). Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    AC4D758D-3F65-4F1D-ADC6-32065A939729.jpeg F6F4459F-3CB5-4BCA-B1CE-4D4475AE0E7C.jpeg

Ratings and Performance Specs Graphic
    CC9E1696-4E87-4EDA-8B50-EA88938907C6.jpeg

I want to work for the community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability, battery and charger testing and news, and a say in what I test, then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery and device tests | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Pigs

Vaping
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    These tests below only note my personal ESTIMATED ratings for the batteries I tested at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of property damage, personal injury, or even death. They are not supposed to be used outside of a fully protected battery pack and you use them at your own risk. Never exceed the battery’s true continuous current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

View attachment 949719 View attachment 949721 View attachment 949723 View attachment 949725

Test Results
    This cell is a great performer and its 20A rating seems reasonable. It performs almost as well as the Samsung 30Q at the start of a discharge and outperforms the 30Q by a little for the rest of the discharge. The Vapcell B30 outperforms the Vapcell Red R30.

This Vapcell B30 only runs a little bit hotter than the Samsung 30Q but I recommend staying under 15A if you are running it continuously. I do not know how this Vapcell’s cycle life compares to the long-lasting Samsung 30Q.

The two cells I tested delivered 3080mAh and 3097mAh. This is good consistency and exceeds this cell’s 3000mAh rating.

Two cells were donated for testing by Vapcell (18650 batteries, Vapcell batteries, 18650 Chargers). Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    View attachment 949729 View attachment 949727

Ratings and Performance Specs Graphic
    View attachment 949731

I want to work for the community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability, battery and charger testing and news, and a say in what I test, then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery and device tests | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    Thanks @Mooch . We're lucky to have you.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hi
    Actually can this cell handle 30A for one minute? Or do you know any cell than can handle 25-30A for 30seconds to one minute?

There are many cells that can handle 30A for a minute for one time without exploding (when new) but most will be running at way over their current rating. That increases the risks, lowers performance, and shortens the life of the battery.

The Samsung 20S is rated at 30A and the Samsung 30T is rated at 35A.
    The Molicel P42A is rated at 45A but the datasheet says that will shorten the cycle life of the cell and I consider it to be a non-continuous rating since you must keep it from reaching 75°C and it will definitely will get hotter than that at high current levels if run a lot.

There are others with 30A and higher ratings in the datasheets but I consider those to be non-continuous ratings and if you are using them at 30A then how often you are pulsing them at 30A is important. Keep them from getting hot. For any cell I recommend keeping the cell below 60°C maximum when using it.

I recommend using a cell with a continuous rating of 30A or higher.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    There are many cells that can handle 30A for a minute for one time without exploding (when new) but most will be running at way over their current rating. That increases the risks, lowers performance, and shortens the life of the battery.

The Molicel P42A is rated at 45A but the datasheet says that will shorten the cycle life of the cell and I consider it to be a non-continuous rating since you must keep it from reaching 75°C and it will definitely will get hotter than that at high current levels if run a lot.

There are others with 30A and higher ratings in the datasheets but I consider those to be non-continuous ratings and if you are using them at 30A then how often you are pulsing them at 30A is important. Keep them from getting hot. For any cell I recommend keeping the cell below 60°C maximum when using it.

Complete side topic. I just watched a review on the GeekVape Obelisk FC120 with Mike Vapes where he mentions you in regards to recharging a 3700 mAh mod to full in 15 min. and whether that's likely healthy or not for the Li-ion batteries in it. Do you ever contact these guys (reviewers) with responses?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Complete side topic. I just watched a review on the GeekVape Obelisk FC120 with Mike Vapes where he mentions you in regards to recharging a 3700 mAh mod to full in 15 min. and whether that's likely healthy or not for the Li-ion batteries in it. Do you ever contact these guys (reviewers) with responses?

Often, yes.
    Check out Pbusardo’s YouTube channel. I did a video with him a couple weeks ago, longer?, discussing the Obelisk.

Reactions: Z-Lee

Morphin

Jul 20, 2021

Thank's for the information. Actually i would like to us it in a sailplane that with full throtthle it takes max 25A and i use it for usually less than 30Seconds and then after about a few minutes to 20 minutes again..... So i have a few VTC5A lefts i can test it with these first. Thank's again

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread