The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Best 18650 batteries to use on the GGTS

Discussion in 'The GG' started by SAX, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. SAX

SAX Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well, I have a "new to me" GGTS coming and I was looking for some batteries and I think I am just going to start with some singles to start out "learning the system" what do you suggest??? Oh, and a special thanks to Torqueguy for being such a great guy and making this possible.

Gary

2. imeothanasis

imeothanasis Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    Thank you very much Torq that you brought SAX yo GG family buddy:):)

SAX, welcome to GG group, the best group of people. Enjoy your staying:)
    As for batteries, GG people will inform you as soon as possible. I use AW batteries for now until my batteries come to market

3. boggypot

boggypot Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 29, 2011
    Asia
    i'm also expecting my GGTS to arrive. Was wondering what you guys think about the Panasonic NCR18650A 3100MAH unprotected batts.

4. ChaosAffect

ChaosAffect Moved On ECF Veteran

Dec 19, 2010
    Georgia
    I use unprotected 2350mAh Panasonics, and am very happy with them.

5. wigglr

wigglr Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Totally recommend AW IMR 18650's and I think an overwhelming majority of people would recommend them too

6. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 2, 2011
    Montreal
    I have the AW IMR x2 and i also have the AW protected 3100mAh they all do great!

7. MrKrinkle

MrKrinkle Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    AW IMR all the way... less mah but safe chemistry... I dont believe in IC protection especially in tube mods where the pressure can damage the IC causing it to fail rendering its protection useless... but no matter what battery you use take the time to check them after every charge with a multimeter because safe is always better than sorry....

8. boggypot

Nov 29, 2011
    Asia
    sorry, totally new to batteries, what would you look out for when checking on a multimeter?

9. MrKrinkle

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    After charging a 3.7v battery will actually push out 4.2v anything higher than that is dangerous and would be considered over charged....

You also want to try not to over discharge them as well Im not sure if this is dangerous although I did get one of my AW IMR down to 2.2v and thought it was garbage but left it alone for about a day and it seemed to repair itself and charged like normal but is one more reason I love my AW IMR batts...

10. fright88

fright88 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 21, 2011
    Loveland CO
    Over discharge can lessen battery life and charge life. As for batterys I have used Protected Ultrafire, Trustfire, and AW batterys and AW IMR batterys. I think if I was buying again I would buy all IMR batterys. They do last a little less time but seem to hit better for longer IMHO. On the other hand 3.7 doesn't do it for me at all anymore.

11. thedudeabides

thedudeabides Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 27, 2010
    Boston
    I prefer the AW IMRs and also the MNKE IMRs.

12. gredie

gredie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 23, 2011
    GG, Austria
    Welcome to the GG family, SAX.

I've started with AW IC batteries, recently i got some AW IMR which I'm trying now since a couple of days.

13. MrKrinkle

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    That being said I dont think its expressed clearly for people the real differences between LV & HV.... LV is running a single 3.7v battery and HV by stacking batteries usually 3.0v or 3.7v batteries... I myself find that it really comes down to the ohm's of the atomizer coil.... the biggest benefit to HV vaping IMO is the ease and shortness of drag needed to produce a rich thick vaper and the closest to an analog... Please keep in mind I have only done this with stacked 3.7v using a 3ohm Dual Coil XL Cartomizer & iAtty also at 3ohm's and honestly liked it best with fresh charged batteries pushing 8.4v @ 3ohms... the downside is HV vaping in my opinion is that it mutes the flavor of your e-juice... now with a fresh built iAtty coil @ 3.7v keep in mind 4.2v freshly charged I find that 1.25 to 1.5ohm produce similar results to HV vaping as I described earlier but does require a little more effort in the drag or pull @ 3.7v but the flavor is more dominant again this is my findings thus far... to simplify more voltage is going to make your coil hotter faster... now lots of factors come into play here when it comes to your atomizer of choice be it atomizers, cartomizers or rebuildables and it comes down to ohm's and your preference if you like a hot or cooler vape.... theoretically the cooler the vape the more flavor from the juice... now hotter means more throat hit and feel which is where LV 1.25 to 1.5ohm at 3.7v to 4.2v is almost the same as 2.5 to 3.0ohm @ 7.4v to 8.4v the biggest difference being the ease of getting a lung full of vaper.... I like both ways and both work for me... So my advice to simplify is find what OHM you like at 3.7v to 4.2v then when you decide to try HV vaping simply double the ohm of the coil you use... for me its between 1.25ohm & 1.5ohm @ 3.7v and for HV vaping its 2.5 to 3ohm @ 7.4v to 8.4v.... I hope this helps people new to vaping to choose a jump off point for themselves as with all the options we have it can get real confusing real fast....My battery of choice is the AW IMR 18350 batteries because they are great alone or stacked for the GGTS... I feel that for our vaping needs and the demands we place on our batteries the HIGH DRAIN is the most effective, consistent and reliable battery available at this time...

14. bpaulette

bpaulette Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 27, 2010
    midwest
    Great post Krinkle.

Question: In terms of sticking with 3.7, will an 18650 keep that "freshly charged" feel substantially longer than an 18350?

And if so, can you go up to an 18650 just by adding a telescope and screw the stealth cap right on top of that, or do you also need the "top tube"? (which is currently out of stock at COV?) I'm happy, for the moment, at 3.7 (especially with the new DC atty at 1.5), but these 18350's seem to lose that freshly charged feel so fast.

15. fright88

Supporting member
    May 21, 2011
    Loveland CO
    18650 will require the top tube along with the telescope. I am hoping more top tubes will be sent with the next shippment to COV

16. boggypot

Nov 29, 2011
    Asia
    thanks for the explanation on different voltage vaping. makes me want to try HV... any recommendations where i can get the cheapest aw imr 18350s with shipping to asia?

17. MrKrinkle

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I would imagine a 18650 may hold at 4.2v a lil longer than a 18350 but I wouldnt imagine by much.... now its also relative to the battery itself and which breed of battery your using... Everything deteriorates over time and batteries are a consumable item... you may also try lowering to a 1.25ohm which will feel like 1.5ohm at 3.7v and run a bit hotter at 4.2v...

18. bpaulette

bpaulette Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 27, 2010
    midwest
    Argh - ah well, I guess the musical chairs on the battery charger will have to continue. Hopefully they'll restock those soon.

19. zuTma

zuTma Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 22, 2010
    Croatia, Zagreb
    Well this is first to me:blink: Didn't know Imeo is working on batterys. What is he cooking now?! :?::laugh:

20. fright88

Supporting member
    May 21, 2011
    Loveland CO
    He mentioned them in the interview on VTTV (Vapour Trails TV in case my acronym is wrong) but there is very little hard information other then they should be very high mah ratings (I think he mentioned ah ratings actually)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.