The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

best 18650 battery for provari

Discussion in 'ProVari' started by stardust, Sep 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. stardust

stardust Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 18, 2013
    San Jose
    soon to be receiving my provari with 18650 extension and im excited. my question is what is the best battery for 18650 in a provari, while using a 1.2-1.5 ohm micro-coil

2. tom_chang79

tom_chang79 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 4, 2013
    CA
    My opinion, AW 18650... My samsung didn't work since flat top do not work in the Provari...

3. stardust

Jul 18, 2013
    San Jose
    even at 1.2-1.5 ohms would it be alright to go to the 2000+ mahs? since the amp output is relatively less than a standard sub ohm buld?

4. stevegmu

stevegmu Moved On ECF Veteran

The capacity of the batteries don't make a difference. The higher the mAh doesn't mean it puts out more power; just has more stored energy and will last longer between charges- at least on a ProVari.

5. stardust

Jul 18, 2013
    San Jose
    then I guess I am looking for a battery with higher mah,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

6. sawlight

sawlight Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 2, 2009
    Kansas
  7. stardust

Jul 18, 2013
    San Jose
  8. stevegmu

Other than safety issues, performance and the fact that they are the batteries the manufacturer says to use, there's no reason to use AW IMR high drain batteries in a ProVari.

Personally, I wouldn't use anything but the AW IMR high drain batteries ProVape says to use. Why spend almost $200 on a pv, only to save a couple $ on batteries?

9. sawlight

sawlight Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 2, 2009
    Kansas
    Add to the fact that Provape designed and built the Provari around these batteries, no, no real reason.

10. Thrasher

Thrasher ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    but download the actual manual. they do not mention AW batteries. it only says High drain imr's

From the PDF:
    "We recommend you use IMR high drain 18500 batteries or IMR high drain 18650 batteries with the optional
    18650 adapter. This will give you the full range of voltages and the proper power needed to use the device"

11. stevegmu

Maybe they haven't updated the manual yet. I think when I was looking at the ProVari before ordering one, they used to offer 2 different battery options with the kit and in the parts section. The AW IMR high drain were an add-on at additional cost; the other batteries were included in the kit. Now, they only offer the AW IMR batteries. There must be a reason for this.

12. dhomes

dhomes Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I use Panasonic CGR18650CH non my provari (and PDs as well)

just put a bit of welding on top of each and they are good to go

I mean, 4 for $22 bucks on amazon vs 13.95 for each AW?

they've been workingwithout problem for the past 6 months

13. stardust

Jul 18, 2013
    San Jose
    i know the length is 65.2mm and i sure the cgr isnt that length hence your welding. and i do not have a welding/soldering kit

14. dhomes

dhomes Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I've done this for 10 18650 (8 Panasonic, 2 Sonys) and the money saved on AWs more than offsets the $20 / $25 a basic soldering kit will costs you

you may even get a decent one for $15 from fasttech.com

15. Thrasher

Thrasher ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    yea. money. i love my provari, but they do scrape the wallet for every penny they can get. after all this time your telling me an end cap is still worth 20 bucks? and they cant lower the price on the mod just a little? after 3 or so years im sure they got the return on their investment.

the aw is proven to be a good battery, they probably get them cheap. win win for them.

16. stevegmu

The price of the starter kit went down, though, after the other batteries were no longer offered and the AW IMR became the standard batteries in the kit.

The market dictates the cost. If sales waned, they would lower their prices.

From a warranty standpoint, I'd rather spend a couple $ more and use OEM batteries.

17. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    An IMR button top battery is a must for the Provari. It was designed to accept only button top batteries to prevent accidental backwards insertion of a battery, which can lead to some bad things happening in a mod. So that is an intentional design for safety reasons for your benefit.

Not only are IMR batteries inherently safer than a protected ICR/NCR li-ion battery, the IMRs are high drain capable, which the boost circuit in the processor requires for high voltage production.

Recommending unsafe practices when it comes to battery safety to other members that may be novices is not in the best interests of the forum. The warranty clearly states that using magnets (or solder) to use a flat top battery in a Provari will void the warranty with Provape. This too is a safety issue.

18. stardust

Jul 18, 2013
    San Jose
    noted. just wanted to know if there were any other alternatives to aw imrs with higher mah capacity

19. madstabber

madstabber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Panasonic makes the best 18650 batteries. If there is a ncr18650pd with a button top that would be the best.

20. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Panasonic makes an 18650 hybrid IMR battery rated at 2250 mAh and is often less expensive that AW's 2000 mAh. I purchased one just to test out one of the new hybrid IMRs. I can't say I've noticed any longer battery life in this battery than the AWs in my rotation. Batteries : Panasonic Hybrid/ IMR CGR18650CH Button Top

I believe Thrasher has been using Batteries : Panasonic High Drain NCR18650PD Hybrid 2900mAh Button Top with a 2900 mAh rating and likes them a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.