Best 26650 Battery for Sub Ohm Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chlamydia

Mar 23, 2014
Cleveland, OH
Hey guys,

I was wondering what the best 26650 battery is for sub ohm vaping. I'd say the lowest I'd go is 0.1 ohms. The reason I'm asking is because I ordered a Hades clone from fast tech, and I'm pretty lazy when it comes to figuring out the amperage output from separate batteries, what's safe, etc. I'm not a pro when it comes to mods, so that's why I'm asking you more experienced members.

Thank you. :)

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
Hey guys,

I was wondering what the best 26650 battery is for sub ohm vaping. I'd say the lowest I'd go is 0.1 ohms. The reason I'm asking is because I ordered a Hades clone from Fast Tech, and I'm pretty lazy when it comes to figuring out the amperage output from separate batteries, what's safe, etc. I'm not a pro when it comes to mods, so that's why I'm asking you more experienced members.

Not_Sure_if_Serious_meme.jpg

Is this a typo? 0.1 ohm? Super low resistance builds and laziness don't go together well unless you want to blow up your mod. I don't think you realize how powerful these batteries are!

0.1 ohm is essentially a dead short. 0.1 ohm is within the error range of a decent DMM. You probably can't be sure that your coil reading 0.1 ohm is actually NOT a dead short.

Stick with a higher resistance coil and for batteries at 26650 the sony has a reputed 50amp continues discharge rate though I think that I read this was over estimated somewhat.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You don't plan on going under 0.1 ohm? You're kidding right? Typo? You can't go lower than 0.1 ohm. That would be a dead short. Dead shorted batteries go BOOM!

IMR_battery_post-venting.jpg

You should never build any coil less than 0.3 ohm no matter what battery you use. You are too close to a dead short which can cause ANY battery to go into thermal runaway (battery meltdown).

And you should not use ANY battery with sub-ohm coils unless you KNOW the amp rating in continuous discharge rate.

I suggest learning some battery basics and some Ohm's Law applications for rebuildable atomizers if you don't want to pay a visit to a plastic surgeon:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/batteries-chargers/546143-batteries-chargers-multi-meters-forum.html

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
LOL I'm fairly certain OP meant 1 ohm?

I hope?

You don't put the "0" and "." in front of the 1 unless you mean sub-ohm.

My guess is the guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about or what he's doing, and could be the next victim on the evening news who blows his hand or jaw off.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJ Garcia

iacchus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
Gulf Coast - USA
... at 26650 the sony has a reputed 50amp continues discharge rate though I think that I read this was over estimated somewhat.

They are advertised by many vendors at 50A MCD. They are not, though. They are 26A MCD, 52A pulse. Honestly, I do not find them particularly impressive.

KQx6JP3.jpg

The MNKEs are rated 20A/60A. I am not sure why folks have the idea in their head that 26650s are sub-ohm monsters. Is it just because they are bigger? It is true that because they likely have a larger cathode/anode surface area, they will be a bit less susceptible to thermal runaway (in the same way that a 10A rated 18650 will be less susceptible than a 10A rated 18350). I doubt that this line of thought is why they are considered so sub-ohm capable, though. Also, while less susceptible to entering TR, the outcome of the failure would doubtless be more exciting due to the higher capacity of the cell.

I would guess that it is a combination of certain vendors advertising the pulse discharge ratings and folks just assuming that they are capable since they are so much larger. In reality, the current 26650s are a generation behind their 18650 cousins. Unless you have to have the additional capacity the larger cell offers, they are outclassed in every way by the newer and slimmer cells.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
You don't put the "0" and "." in front of the 1 unless you mean sub-ohm.

My guess is the guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about or what he's doing, and could be the next victim on the evening news who blows his hand or jaw off.

What's wrong with just telling the guy you don't do that? He's posting a thread to make sure it's safe, and all the battery experts jump down his throat. I like to try and keep ECF positive, so people don't feel like they have to google for 30 minutes before they even come to the forum with a question (which I remember doing, because I was afraid of the battery safety police knowing I didn't know what thermal discharge was.

-I would've said, "Hey keep it above .3 guy, any lower and the batteries weren't designed for it.". Honestly judgement like this is why I'm a master of electrical theory and battery physics. Don't be so proud of common electrician knowledge, it's doesn't make you a pro.
View attachment 324464

painkiller0007

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2013
PA
Hey guys,
I'm pretty lazy when it comes to figuring out the amperage output from separate batteries, what's safe, etc. I'm not a pro when it comes to mods.

This screams safety issue and I think that is the problem. That is probably why every jumped down his throat. Safety first not only for his sake but for ours as well. The less bad decisions/results we make as vapers the better. If you want to be lazy and not put the work in stay above 1 ohm and use regulated mods that have safety features built in. Had he blown a battery up and melted his hand would you blame it on the mod/battery? Nope you would blame the user for not doing his homework. Sorry for jumping in on this one but I just felt the need to.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

iacchus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
Gulf Coast - USA
It was a typo lol, I'm on my phone and was in a hurry, I'd try and get something around a 0.5 ohm build at the lowest, but probably build around 1 ohm. And the reason why I say 26650 battery is because I recently just purchased a Hades Clone, so that's why.

Thanks.

Nothing I said above was targeted at you specifically. More at the current state of usage for the cells. Honestly, I feel the 26650 is far better suited to supra-ohm in a regulated mod than sub-ohm In a mech. To each their own, though.

Reactions: DaveP

schuff

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2013
Dickson, TN
OP, I've posted this in another thread before but here is my redneck testing results in my hades / seven-22 mod.

VOLTAGE DROP TESTING METHOD: Built a trident v2 0.5 ohm dual coil. Attached a Qvapes voltage meter in the 510 connection of the Hades and attached the trident to the voltage meter. I used two Sony 26650VT's and 2 MNKE 3500 mah 26650's fresh off of a nitecore luc 4 charger all reading 4.21 volts.

Draining all 4 batteries to 3.6 volts the Sony batteries consistently fired .2 - .3 volts higher than the MNKE's.

BATTERY LIFE TESTING METHOD: built a Kayfun 3.1 0.8 ohm single coil. Attached the Kayfun to the seven-22 device. Two Sony 26650VT's and two MNKE 3500 mah 26650's fully charged off of the nitecore luc4 charger. Every fire was 22 watts and was fired to the 10 second cutoff.

The two Sony batteries reached 3.6 volts in 1224 / 1197 fires. The two MNKE's reached 3.6 volts in 1632 / 1564 fires.

TLDR: redneck testing shows Sony's have less voltage drop. MNKE's stay between 4.2v and 3.6 longer.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What's wrong with just telling the guy you don't do that? He's posting a thread to make sure it's safe, and all the battery experts jump down his throat. I like to try and keep ECF positive, so people don't feel like they have to google for 30 minutes before they even come to the forum with a question (which I remember doing, because I was afraid of the battery safety police knowing I didn't know what thermal discharge was.

-I would've said, "Hey keep it above .3 guy, any lower and the batteries weren't designed for it.". Honestly judgement like this is why I'm a master of electrical theory and battery physics. Don't be so proud of common electrician knowledge, it's doesn't make you a pro.
View attachment 324464

Baditude said:
You don't plan on going under 0.1 ohm? You're kidding right? Typo? You can't go lower than 0.1 ohm. That would be a dead short. Dead shorted batteries go BOOM!

IMR_battery_post-venting.jpg

You should never build any coil less than 0.3 ohm no matter what battery you use. You are too close to a dead short which can cause ANY battery to go into thermal runaway (battery meltdown).

And you should not use ANY battery with sub-ohm coils unless you KNOW the battery's amp rating in continuous discharge rate.

I suggest learning some battery basics and some Ohm's Law applications for rebuildable atomizers if you don't want to pay a visit to a plastic surgeon:

Batteries, Chargers and Multi-Meters Forum !

I had already more or less told the OP to "don't do that" in my first post in this thread (above). Included a pic for emphasis of a battery gone thermal. I posted a link to the ECF battery sub-forum as a resource to practically all the battery info he will need to vape safely. I practically delivered the info on a silver platter for him, no need to search for 30 minutes on Google.

I appologize for stereotyping the OP in the subsequent post. I did look at his previous posts before responding and saw that he is a young adult (18 y/o). Way too often this age group get into cloud chasing with sub-ohms for the wrong reasons and throw caution to the wind without regards to theirs or others safety.

I'm not saying that I am above taking constructive criticism. I'll accept it if its warranted. When YOU have contributed as much as I have to ECF novices then maybe I'll take your opinion more seriously. Vape safe, buddy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rando Fawkes
Please do excuse my ignorance. I'm no electrical theory major, but if the continuous is 26 amp on the sonys wouldn't the lowest possible be around .16 ohm? Not trying to justify anyone going that low with that size of a battery, but this is continuous we're talking here, right? Like dictionary definition of continuos? Then .17 should be safe, right? I'm picking up my first 26650 and want to be certain of a few things. I generally run .28-.34 with my vtc4 and 5s and have never had a problem. Since I'm not pushing the amperage limits I'm fine right?

just to be clear, NO ONE IS PLANNING ON BUILDING A .16 COIL!

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
I had already more or less told the OP to "don't do that" in my first post in this thread (above). Included a pic for emphasis of a battery gone thermal. I posted a link to the ECF battery sub-forum as a resource to practically all the battery info he will need to vape safely. I practically delivered the info on a silver platter for him, no need to search for 30 minutes on Google.

I appologize for stereotyping the OP in the subsequent post. I did look at his previous posts before responding and saw that he is a young adult (18 y/o). Way too often this age group get into cloud chasing with sub-ohms for the wrong reasons and throw caution to the wind without regards to theirs or others safety.

I'm not saying that I am above taking constructive criticism. I'll accept it if its warranted. When YOU have contributed as much as I have to ECF novices then maybe I'll take your opinion more seriously. Vape safe, buddy.

I'll always be a novice when it comes to safety, you'll never see me on a high horse.

Last edited:
I posted up in another thread I want to do a .1 coil with a full copper hades for the low resistance drop.. I think I might have to go with the a123systems 26650, but like everyone else said be carefull. To build coils like that you should be using a mico-ohm meter and doing the calculations along with resistance of the E-cigs battery tube as well to make sure most power is in the coil not the tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread