• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Best attempt at a tobacco flavor so far --Full Credit to Nuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Joker,
I have been reading for weeks on trying to find my favorite tobacco flavors. Virginia, Tennesse and French Pipe. Seems in natural tobacco it comes from the way its cured with additives. Absolutes seem to come from dried tobacco. Not a lot of details. I've never found Absolutes listed as "from Tennesse Cured" and such. Just Nicotiana Rustica, Nicotiana Tobacum. There are 100+ varities of these. So I'm looking at absolutes from around the world. Soils play an important part of the taste. For those special flavors they seem to be from enhancements. I've seen liquid flavors and flavor enhancers, but they all contain DEG and its expected to evaporate from the treated leaves. Like it was used as a solvent for something else. Putting that in e liquid would be a health disaster. Traces of DEG were what the FDA found in the 1 sample thye cited for the case to ban e cigs. I like a black cavendish flavor in pipes too.
I found a partial list used to flavor tobaccos and I wouldn't knowingly add 95% of them
to anything I was vaping. Acetyls, aldehydes......everything we are running from.

What juice companies use...its a secret as the list for big tobacco companies.
Johnson Creek bottles had Tennesse extract flavor listed, but I can't find it anywhere.
If I ever find any, I'll post them and hope others would do the same.

I think grumpster means liquors as the lower % alcohol content ones as they have sugars, coloring, flavorings and stuff that will leave residue on the atty. Vodka is clear, in a high proof has virtually no residue when evaporated or burnt. About the cloest thing to grain alcohol or everclear as you'll get.

Joe81

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
USA
Think they meant to say to avoid "liqueurs" (the sweet flavored ones), due to the sugars added....

VapeOn,
Greg
oh yea, def. not liquers, i know all about avoiding sugars hehe...:)
Joker,
I have been reading for weeks on trying to find my favorite tobacco flavors. Virginia, Tennesse and French Pipe. Seems in natural tobacco it comes from the way its cured with additives. Absolutes seem to come from dried tobacco. Not a lot of details. I've never found Absolutes listed as "from Tennesse Cured" and such. Just Nicotiana Rustica, Nicotiana Tobacum. There are 100+ varities of these. So I'm looking at absolutes from around the world. Soils play an important part of the taste. For those special flavors they seem to be from enhancements. I've seen liquid flavors and flavor enhancers, but they all contain DEG and its expected to evaporate from the treated leaves. Like it was used as a solvent for something else. Putting that in e liquid would be a health disaster. Traces of DEG were what the FDA found in the 1 sample thye cited for the case to ban e cigs. I like a black cavendish flavor in pipes too.
I found a partial list used to flavor tobaccos and I wouldn't knowingly add 95% of them
to anything I was vaping. Acetyls, aldehydes......everything we are running from.

What juice companies use...its a secret as the list for big tobacco companies.
Johnson Creek bottles had Tennesse extract flavor listed, but I can't find it anywhere.
If I ever find any, I'll post them and hope others would do the same.

I think grumpster means liquors as the lower % alcohol content ones as they have sugars, coloring, flavorings and stuff that will leave residue on the atty. Vodka is clear, in a high proof has virtually no residue when evaporated or burnt. About the cloest thing to grain alcohol or everclear as you'll get.
thanx for that info, keep us updated! o yea, i forgot about coloring...but i'd rather get something i wouldn't mind drinking, is whiskey okay? although i think they add coloring just for the brown...or something else at 40% other than vodka/rum...something that i would actually enjoy drinking...

grumpster

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Texas USA
If you order the liquid you only get what's in the bottle. 15ml in my case before I found about making my own.

If you order the crystals then it's a lot cheeper and you can make virtually all you want for way less. For me that's the biggest reason. It's way cheeper. I can order 1/4 lb on ebay and it'll virtually make a lifetime supply. A few years worth at least unless you vape it like I tend to. :D For others it's the ability to make it as strong or week as you like for your own personal taste or needs.

The formula I've given in this thread should make the same exact thing that you bought for a lot less. If you only use menthol once in a while then the liquid should be good. If your like me and menthol everything you vape, then you'll go through a lot of it quick.

Besides, there's one other very good reason for making your own. It's just plain fun to make things instead of buying it. Mixing your own is just another way of doing a mod. A juice mod that is. :p

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Sure, you can use the liquid.
Its not hard to make your own liquid from crystals and much cheaper in the long run if menthol is your main vape.
Grumpster had a comment in one of his posts about making a solution that was "1 drop per ml". I was new to the forum then too.I liked the idea and changed the method and amount to suit my needs. You can tune your liquid for what is right for you very easily.
Some think nothing of making their own and others see it as something else I have to do or try to do.

There are also menthol liquids being sold that have that minty flavor.
Us die hard menthol exsmokers just want our true menthol and most arent strong enough for me. Especially if you buy high nic levels and cut the liquid to be economical.

Like most things, its a matter of personal preference and convenience.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
When I ordered my absolute, all they had was EM in crystals that I saw.
Still not a problem for me since I do an alcohol mix. They dissolve easlily in it and I can control the strength.
What is the concentration of the EM liquid you bought?
Can you post a link to it pls?

Unless it's very weak you should be able to use it just fine. Again, it's probably more expensive that way and I don't get to play chemist. lol

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Thats where I bought my crystals. Good supplier.
I couldn't find it in solution listed unless the bottles are solutions and vials are powder. Mine was by the vial. An 8oz bottle at that price I'd assume was liquid.

It's pretty strong stuff and I think you'll be fine. If you have to use so much that it dilutes your mix to thin you can get the powder and dissolve it in 151 or thicken it with a bit of VG. I had a chart I can't find that showed the amount diff in solubility.

You could always email Linda there and I'm sure she can tell you how much is in each bottle. Easy to calculate if you know the dry quantity and liquid volume.

I just wouldn't worry yet. You have the right stuff.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
My stuff from Spice Barn just arrived today! wooo hooo
Mine will be a PG mix.

On the alcohol question.......
I've dissolved everything including menthol crystals in PG, but have never tried Maltol.
I believe Kate dissolved it in water. I used alcohol for it since it was simplier but it will dissolve in water, just at a lower concentration but enough for this recipe.
A little heat helps. 3-4 sec in a microwave.

I'm sure Kate can answer the rest for you. It's her baby....I just wanna play with it...lol

Joe81

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
USA
My stuff from Spice Barn just arrived today! wooo hooo
Mine will be a PG mix.

On the alcohol question.......
I've dissolved everything including menthol crystals in PG, but have never tried Maltol.
I believe Kate dissolved it in water. I used alcohol for it since it was simplier but it will dissolve in water, just at a lower concentration but enough for this recipe.
A little heat helps. 3-4 sec in a microwave.

I'm sure Kate can answer the rest for you. It's her baby....I just wanna play with it...lol
sorry to get off-topic, but ur avatar & the fact u got a 510 made me curious, are there any silver 510's with red led anywhere? hehe :)

renderwerks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal - The IE
A Cylon is Stainless with a RED "eye". Fracking cool.

Jason at electronicstix.com has them; stainless with a red LED. They're called "The Cylon" He sells the batts as well.

About the maltol - it dissolves in water fine. If heated, more dissolves but some will re-crystallize when the temperature drops. The saturation point will continue to rise as the temperature does, up to the boiling point of water.

Joe81

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
USA
if there's been any updates on finding the ingredients in canada, plz edit/update the 1st post...otherwise, tx for the info, i'll def. be trying this when my taste buds return...

A Cylon is Stainless with a RED "eye". Fracking cool.

Jason at electronicstix.com has them; stainless with a red LED. They're called "The Cylon" He sells the batts as well.
tx for the cylon info! seems i'll never be done collecting diff 510 batts for no reason...:p

PS. like ur avatar hehe

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Great recipie Kate!

Finally got past a bad cold so I could taste again. Made a 5ml batch. All I can say is WOW & Thanks. That is soooo close and good stuff. Great for an all day vape.

I did make a mistake. As much as I harp on drop size, using the same dropper, I got caught on this one. How? Darn viscosity..........
When I was done and anxious to try it.....oh.....not good at all. Mellowing? This will never mellow! Checked to make sure I put it all in. Yep. Rechecked my drop conversion. No problem there. Then I noticed the 10ml bottle was considerably less than 5ml. ??????
So......back to the graduated cylinder and checked each ingredient for correct volume by drop. Ut oh.......biten by the bear I preach so hard on. I have most things in alcohol and I used PG not VG. Ok....all is not lost. Figured how much I should have been off with each and added it back in. Right at 5ml, I did try a few drops before. Very close now. Still a little harsh and the ashtray blast I had received earlier still wasn't gone.
Now..lets let it mellow...........4 hrs later, much more subtle. The next morning 1 minor tweak and it was wonderful. It seems to have mellowed more after 2 days. It's getting better!

The moral of me telling on myself is, make it like the recipe says. If its in ml's use ml's. If it's in drops, make sure you use the same solute as the recipe. Don't sub 151 for water PG for VG unless you want a lot of work figuring out what went wrong. Actually, VG to PG based is easy. I ordered the same stuff from Spice Barn to be as close as possible when I had Loranns here. Whatever mistake you make is correctable if you think and check.

It tastes to darn good not to make! Thanks Kate for all the time, money and work to figure it all out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread