Best Brand to Convert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimHarris

Dec 10, 2012
Ronkonkoma
Hey ECF! I found this board and it looked much more active to the ones I'm used to, so I figured I'd stop on by and check it out. So far everyone seems great!

I figured I'd start out with a question. My sister smokes entirely too much (much more than I ever did.) While I finally found the strength to switch to vaping (I'm down to Lights in most brands) she doesn't seem too interested, at least, not interested enough to do anything about it.

What brand do you recommend I get her for Christmas? I figured maybe some type of Disposable, (I like Clearette Lights myself, but I hear Blu is pretty popular around here) but I thought I'd come here for some advice. What did you guys start with? What would you have avoided when starting?

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm glad to be a part of this forum!

T41CK

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2011
Taylors Falls, Minnesota
I would'nt go with a disposable, reason being you can get nice starter kits for a beginner for under $50 and she will be able to charge those over and over again. The only thing she would need to buy is pre filled cartomizers OR empty ones and just buy her own ejuice. Most starter kits come with some kind of pre filled cartomizers as well. Try going to forum suppliers on this website, Im surer you'll find what your looking for. Hope this helped

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
Hmmm. Sounds like you're a good sibling. Your sister is lucky you care about her.
You said she's not interested in vaping?
Now what I have noticed is if I try to convince a smoker to come to our way of life, I get a brick wall. But if I just continue to vape & not smoke, they become interested & want to try it. They gotta want it. Just my experience.
BTW welcome to ECF & keep on keeping on.

conflator

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2012
Canada
We should probably know what you're looking to spend, and maybe if you're looking to get her fully set up, or just something to try and see if she likes it.

A lot of people here started off with something really basic, and it was enough to get us off cigs. Some moved on to other devices, others were entirely happy with where they at.

With me, for instance, I'd hesitate to recommend the kit that I started out with. I was fairly determined to quit (although I admit I was skeptical this would work), and I had it in my head that if it seemed promising, I could upgrade. Those two things helped me get past initial hassles and the occasional disappointment.

Do you need to convince her with a really good vaping experience, or is she already interested in quitting, just hasn't found what it takes to make the jump?

And am I correct that you already made the switch? Do you mind us asking what worked for you? Might help give us a baseline.

Also, sounds like you're a good brother :) Welcome to the forum!

JimHarris

Dec 10, 2012
Ronkonkoma
Hey everyone, thanks for all the input! I really appreciate it!
We should probably know what you're looking to spend, and maybe if you're looking to get her fully set up, or just something to try and see if she likes it.

I'm more looking for something she may enjoy that will start up the vaping habit and help quit the smoking habit. I just know this is something that would help her and my niece out. Not that she really smokes around my niece, but there's always that lingering smell and extra smoke coming in the house.

I don't mind spending a lot on her, we usually do a $75 cap on gifts a year. On the other hand, I don't want to get her a totally in depth kit and have it just sit in the closet due to being overcomplicated or anything. I personally haven't been using any kits yet myself, I've been trying a few different disposables. My first e-cig actually was an Apollo 0mg Tobacco flavor. I liked the taste, but wasn't really impressed, if that makes any sense. Blu's "Magnificent Menthols" are pretty decent. Now after a few different disposables, I've been liking this brand Clearette that's from my neck of the woods. I'm always open to new choices though, and even asked my best friend to get me one of the Blu starter kits... although after some of those comments, I'm not so sure.

Anyway, this isn't about me, although maybe you guys are right. I could try starting her off with one of the ones I liked. And I'll look into one of the starter kits. Like I said, I'd like to keep it simple, and yet still show her it's a very real alternative.

Thanks everyone for your input!

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA

I'm more looking for something she may enjoy that will start up the vaping habit and help quit the smoking habit. I just know this is something that would help her and my niece out. Not that she really smokes around my niece, but there's always that lingering smell and extra smoke coming in the house.

I don't mind spending a lot on her, we usually do a $75 cap on gifts a year. On the other hand, I don't want to get her a totally in depth kit and have it just sit in the closet due to being overcomplicated or anything. I personally haven't been using any kits yet myself, I've been trying a few different disposables. My first e-cig actually was an Apollo 0mg Tobacco flavor. I liked the taste, but wasn't really impressed, if that makes any sense. Blu's "Magnificent Menthols" are pretty decent. Now after a few different disposables, I've been liking this brand Clearette that's from my neck of the woods. I'm always open to new choices though, and even asked my best friend to get me one of the Blu starter kits... although after some of those comments, I'm not so sure.

Anyway, this isn't about me, although maybe you guys are right. I could try starting her off with one of the ones I liked. And I'll look into one of the starter kits. Like I said, I'd like to keep it simple, and yet still show her it's a very real alternative.

The kit I mentioned is $36.00 and then two juices small size are $3.75 each. The kit comes with passthrough ego c upgraded battery, cable, cap for when not using as passthrough, cone for looks, box of 5 cartomizers, drip tip oh, yeh, forgot and one bottle of juice and something else I can't remember now. That's what I still use and bought two of them. I've used one for over two months and its still going strong and needs a charge every 7 hours chain vaping. If she doesn't like it, you can always use it and get her something else. ;-) I bought my daughter one and she's now vaping.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I purchased the Finiti kit they sell at Walgreens as my starter kit. it comes with a usb charger cable, wall outlet adapter, charge and carry case that will charge your battery up to 5 times before it needs a recharge, two 510 batteries and a regular, light, and menthol cartomizer, all packed in a fairly nice presentation case. $39.99

I liked it, but the flavors, while not terrible, were very much *meh*.

Right away, the hunt for upgrades began. I bought two 510 nano clearomizers from cigtechs at $2.99 each. I wish I'd bought about ten. I also bought the Vision Eternity Rebuildable Atomizer for $29.99 which was a mistake. After reading reviews, I learned that it is guaranteed to leak without some fairly complicated repair work.

I then bought some malty toffee from backwoodsbrew. Even without any aging, this stuff is so good, and I can't wait to see how the flavor improves with time.

A week into this vaping thing, If i had to do it over, I would have bought two or three 510 batteries, a double battery charger, ten 510 nano clearomizers in different colors and two 30 ml bottles of malty toffee.

The clearomizers make the e cig look like a regular cigarette with a small cigarette holder on the end, but one contains enough e juice to last a full day or two of occasional vaping.

Last edited:

Karen N Daytona

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2012
Daytona Beach, Florida
Hi there, I think I know what you are looking for. I am new here and I don't know all the lingo as well as the true veterans here. I think to keep it simple you should decide on a better battery than the drugstore brand. It will cost much more money in the long run to keep buying those. My little drugstore kits all wore out in less than a month. That's how I found this forum, in search of something better.

You mentioned she smokes more than you did. Her battery will be used often so she needs a long lasting battery. I would try this for her.http://www.thevaporgirl.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=logobatts

than for her liquid, you could go with something like this: CE4 in colors and clear, whistle tips & 8 long wicks!

Finally, I would go online to this site to look up stores to get eliquid here is the way I found a few :VaporSearchUSA

I spent a lot of money before I found the forum and I would have loved to have had this information first.

You can find great prices is you search around. As someone else here said, if your sister doesn't use the e-cig, you can use it yourself.
Just don't buy any of the really pretty ones there and stick to the basic colors. :) oh and btw, if you sign up for there newsletter before ordering, they will give you a coupon code to get a discount too. Many of the stores do this.

Good luck and enjoy the holidays!

BrokenLung

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2012
TN
You will get LOTS of opinions on what to buy here. I myself just started and I liked the blu disposable a lot.

Katana Kit ($12) and Smoke Juice Johnson Creek Smoke Juice (the people who make the juice for blu)

That is the way to go for a stater. No worries about multiple pieces or multiple websites and if she does not like it you are out $12 for her starter kit.

Oh yah, it doesn't hurt that the Katana kit makes great vapor.

Last edited:

JimHarris

Dec 10, 2012
Ronkonkoma
Awesome! It seems a lot of people are agreeing a Starter Kit is the way to go. Now I'll just have to end up deciding which one to get. All of the ones mentioned here seem like great options, and I'm excited to see her reaction to whichever I get. I'll definitely keep everyone posted. Let me know if you guys think of any other good starter kits, and of course I'll be doing my own research. I really appreciate all of the responses. This is definitely going to become my go-to place for answers :)

propagandax

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Njoy King would be my recommendation for a disposable. Otherwise for a kit I would do a smokeless image kit with 2-65mm batteries, mega PPC, and all three sample carto packs they sell (15 flavors), 24 mg.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

I reasons I suggested the SI kit are the following:

1. Looks and feels like a smoke. She can always upgrade to a EGO style battery latter, and if she stays with SI she can get an X2 battery which is compatible with the 808 small batts she already has.
2. With that many flavor selections there is bound to be a few she will like. If you get an EGO kit with a couple bottles of juice you run the risk of not getting a flavor she likes, which can be a turn-off for a beginner (trust me I know).
3. Prefilled Cartomizers - Easy place to start until she is comfortable with refilling with juice
4. Mega PCC - With this case and 65mm batterys she can carry everything she needs for a day in one piece. No random bottles of juices and loose batteries, just this case. This thing can hold 2 batteries (one on the charger and one in the adjacent slot), 3 spare cartomizers, and 4th cartomizer on the battery ready to go.
5. 24 mg Nic. Best to go in brute force with maximum nicotine and throat hit.
5. Customer service is outstanding, which is needed for an industry with a high defect rate

I hope that helps and I could do everything over this is what I would like to have started with. If you do order from SI be sure to hunt around for 15% off coupon. Good luck my friend.

moya

Nov 6, 2012
Berkeley, CA
5. 24 mg Nic. Best to go in brute force with maximum nicotine and throat hit.

When I started vaping, 18 mg was WAY too much for me. Exhaling the vapor produced an irritating, acrid sensation that made it impossible to enjoy.

I know that multiple variables contribute to the throat hit, but I still don't think it's a good idea to start so high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread