Best Carto? Single or Double?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmoney$

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2013
California
i use smok 1.7 or 2.0 ohm, do not pay attention to the # of holes, and take a dremel disk, put it on my drill, and make a single, pretty large slot. and I run pretty think juice 80/20 pg. It doesn't wick enough for a saturated vape for me without the larger intake at my vape rate. ikenvape's have larger holes but I haven't tried them.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
I've used Boge's, tried SmokTech and Ikenvapes. Found no difference whatsoever between Boge's and Ikenvapes. Identical in every way, and wouldn't be surprised if they come of the same line. Have not tried the Fusion's yet. When I started, I watched a lot of Phil Busardo videos, and he liked Boges. I tried them, and liked them fine. SureVapes has 5 boxes for $25 inc shipping, so I've stuck with them. I think they're all about the same, of the ones I've tried. I will say that I think the 35mm taste better than than the 45mm's. I wish that wasn't true for me, as I would like to use a bigger tank. I punch all my own. Cheaper pricing and easy to do, and I can vary my hole size to match my juice. Haven't ruined one yet to punching....knock on wood. I punch a box at a time, so setup is a breeze. Good luck!

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
I use 2 hole Ikenvape platinum (2 larger holes no flange) or 4 hole boge (2 small stock holes 2 larger drilled holes) with 50/50 pg/vg, no flooding or dry hits.
IMO there is a rather large difference between boge and ikenvape platinum's. ymmv.

Yeah, everyone says that, but that wasn't my experience. Even if they lasted longer, I'd make the switch, but, alas, they did not. Probably just my juice, and my vape technique. According to the experts, I do it all wrong. So, for me, and me alone, and without regard to anyone else vaping, I have seen no difference between the Boge's and the Ikenvape Platinum, other than an 80% higher price tag. YMMV.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Well Bill, that's why I used IMO before the statement & ymmv after.
I wasn't attacking your opinions or trying to discount your experiences at all. :toast:

I too do it all wrong as far as the experts are concerned, the platinum's are the only 2 hole carto that wick well enough to prevent me from burning them within the first tanks worth of juice.
For me the boges require 2 small and 2 large holes to keep up, slotting them has lead to severe flooding issues for me.

I will not use smoktech carto's at all, even if they were the last on earth, I taste the polyfill & every one Ive used has a very short lifespan.

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I like Boge just fine. I've had no flooding/wicking issues. I punch my own with a 5 dollar punch from Vapor Alley. It looks just like the Kir Fanis with the hole in the other side so you can line up your holes. I got another 5 dollar punch from some other place that wrecks the carto pretty bad. I punch 2 holes and vape higher VG juice. They work great. I've been curious to try the Ikenvape but simply out of curiosity... My taste buds may be wrecked to the point that subtle differences don't register to me, so for $49.00 for a case of Boge's (50 cartos) I'll stick with them. I've had issues with flooding and wicking with other brands....some taste issues too. That means they weren't subtle differences. I can tell the difference between my Kayfun and a carto. I agree with what was said earlier, I like the 35's better and I have no use for a dual coil carto. A good Boge, well primed and punched in a IBTanked is a hard set up to beat.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Problem is just about the time clearomizers were introduced to the market both Boge and SmokTech changed the filler in their cartos (even though they denied this). Carto lovers flocked in droves to clearomizers and never looked back because the new filler tasted horrible and cartos were lasting 2? days. It seems they've resolved the issue with the filler though....just have to buy from a Vendor that doesn't have any old stock on hand.
They Vendor that Bill buys from has newer stock cuz he sells so many:
Welcome to Sure Vapes LLC !

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My observations and experience:

• Single coil > dual coil. Overall a smoother, cooler vape with single coils. Dual coils can too often get a burnt taste, probably because the upper coil burns the filler material if it doesn't stay wet/wick enough. YMMV.
  • Boge. Polyfiller material is more compact, makes filling slower if you fill from the top. May wick slower in a tank. Less likely to flood than Smoktech.
  • Ikenvape. A happy medium in polyfill density comparatively. IMO a higher quality cartomizer that provides better flavor, lasts longer, and has more QC consistancy carto-to-carto than Boge or Smoktech. Limited production/limited availability. For cartotanks: 510 Fusion (with flange) & Platinum (without flange).
  • Smoktech. Polyfiller material is less compact, makes filling easier if you fill from the top. May wick faster in a tank. More likely to flood than Boge.

tank lengths.jpg

Boge & Smoktek both have had a history of inconsistancy and quality control issues over the years. I've not found this to be true with IKV.

Some people claim to be able to "taste" a difference between the 3 name brands. My preference: IKV > Smoktech > Boge. YMMV.

Pre-punched cartos wick as well as hand-punched cartos for the majority of e-liquids. Thicker e-liquids may need more or larger holes. Two holes is a good starting place for most e-liquids; higher Pg (thinner) may work better with a single hole; higher Vg (thicker) may work better with 3 holes. Large list of vendors selling pre-punched single coil cartomizers

There is a Safe Vaping Power Chart in the above link which can help you choose the best resistance (ohm rating) for your particular needs.

Hand-punched or dremel-slotted cartos can damage the o-rings in tank caps. O-rings properly seal air/liquid to maintain proper negative pressure in the tank, prevent juice leaking, and keep the tank from sliding off the carto. Pre-punched cartos help preserve the o-rings.

A cartotank accessory tool such as a Slap Yo Moma tool is invaluable to further protect o-rings. It also greatly assists in making tank setup faster and easier by 50%. PBBusardo demo/review of Slap Yo Moma tool

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

Last edited:

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
Boge F16, F17 Tank Replacement Cartomizer 1.6-2.0 OHM( 5pack) - $6.50 : VapeLite your source for Boge quality electronic cigarettes, Boge electronic cigarettes - All I use. Not a fan of the Smoktech (about the only product of their's that I am not a fanboy of) I find they tighten up faster than the Boges. That being said, I do find the Smoktechs don't burn as easily. Never tried the Ikenvapes, but the P. Busardo video looked to me as though they were Boges that were rebranded. Just my humble opinion.

Completely agree with Baditude about the slap-yo-mamma tool. Hands down the best and I have three different kinds. For inserting cartos into tanks, it can't be beat.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Wow, good info on the holes/juice intake to PG/VG ratio. Thanks

So any big differences between 1.7 ohm and 3 ohm?

It depends on how many volts/ watts you're vaping at. On my 3.7 volt PVs I liked the "Ressurector" aka SmokTech XL/ 1.8 ml single coil 1.8 ohms cartos. When they first came out they were very popular and one Vendor was actually behind schedule with order by over a month.
Here's a chart to help with the ohms to volts setup:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9dkanCt0I1qc8949o2_1280.png

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
:toast:
Well Bill, that's why I used IMO before the statement & ymmv after.
I wasn't attacking your opinions or trying to discount your experiences at all. :toast:

I too do it all wrong as far as the experts are concerned, the platinum's are the only 2 hole carto that wick well enough to prevent me from burning them within the first tanks worth of juice.
For me the boges require 2 small and 2 large holes to keep up, slotting them has lead to severe flooding issues for me.

I will not use smoktech carto's at all, even if they were the last on earth, I taste the polyfill & every one Ive used has a very short lifespan.

:toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread