Status
Not open for further replies.

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
There is definitely a difference between chargers. The Trustfire will work, though I am much more impressed with the xtar WPII 2 I just got. My Trustfire was defective though and I'm not sure it ever worked right. It was a different model (4 battery charger). Still, the xtar has more features (i.e. you can change the charging rate or use it to transfer power from a battery to your cell phone) and I'm pretty sure it's faster. I believe it also has smarter charging algorithms (and termination), but it's also a little more expensive and I think you'd need an extra set of spacers to use the charger with the Buz batteries.

Last edited:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I use both, happy with both. Xtar is better overall IMO, the 1 amp setting is handy if you ever get something that uses big 18650 batteries, and the xtar including a car cig lighter adapter is cool.

On tr001 I've heard complaints about cord failures, so be careful plugging and unplugging or do what I do, leave it plugged into a power strip with on/off switch.

(actually I use an outlet timer, cuts off after 3 hours :) )

Last edited:

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
The Pila has the reputation as the best charger available. It's also quite pricey. (Around $45 if I remember right.)

I've been very happy with my Trustfire TR-001. It'll charge pretty much any battery used for vaping, and you can get a cord which lets you use it in an auto via a cig-lighter outlet. I carry one in the car in case I need an emergency battery charge (though I've never actually needed it.)

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
The Pila has the reputation as the best charger available. It's also quite pricey. (Around $45 if I remember right.)

I've been very happy with my Trustfire TR-001. It'll charge pretty much any battery used for vaping, and you can get a cord which lets you use it in an auto via a cig-lighter outlet. I carry one in the car in case I need an emergency battery charge (though I've never actually needed it.)

I just got the Pila from Provape today. It charged two 14500 battery's in about an hour. Really I need to do some research on this charger cause the battery's where good and hot. I bought it for my 18650's though and I am sure they will not worry me so much. Its an awesome charger as far as I can tell though and it was $45. I like the door that covers the battery's. Just looks a lot better. The box it comes in is real nice if you travel it would be nice to have.

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Hot doesn't sound so good. Sounds like they are getting too high a current.

Thats what I am thinking. They charged up way too fast. I am trying to find a video on YT but I guess I have to read :facepalm: I was hoping this charger was an all in one deal and the battery does fit but its basically just a AA but my reg AA charger would not charge then ether. I hate to have 3 chargers that fit the same size battery when only one works. Thats what I get for assuming more money ment more options. Maybe the Pila is not just a Pila dung and is adjustable.

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
Thats what I am thinking. They charged up way too fast. I am trying to find a video on YT but I guess I have to read :facepalm: I was hoping this charger was an all in one deal and the battery does fit but its basically just a AA but my reg AA charger would not charge then ether. I hate to have 3 chargers that fit the same size battery when only one works. Thats what I get for assuming more money ment more options. Maybe the Pila is not just a Pila dung and is adjustable.

You tried 14500 batteries in a regular AA battery charger? I'm not a battery expert, but your AA charger probably won't supply enough voltage and may employ charging algorithms that are not suited to the 14500 batteries. Maybe I'm paranoid but i would not put batteries in a charger unless I know for a fact it was designed for the batteries I'm trying to charge. It's a really bad idea to experiment like that unless you know alot about electrical engineering and battery chemistry. If you put batteries in charger the charger wasn't designed to charge, the batteries could explode.

The Pila charger charges at 600 mA, which is extremely close to the rated mah of your batteries (which is obvious because it only took about an hour to charge the batteries). Ideally, you'd want the charger to take 2 or 3 hours to charge. I think the Pila may be a little strong for those batteries, but it should still work. 1 hour charging will generate heat and is hard on the batteries. Always charge with the top cover open to let heat escape.

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
You tried 14500 batteries in a regular AA battery charger? I'm not a battery expert, but your AA charger probably won't supply enough voltage and may employ charging algorithms that are not suited to the 14500 batteries. Maybe I'm paranoid but i would not put batteries in a charger unless I know for a fact it was designed for the batteries I'm trying to charge. It's a really bad idea to experiment like that unless you know alot about electrical engineering and battery chemistry. If you put batteries in charger the charger wasn't designed to charge, the batteries could explode.

The Pila charger charges at 600 mA, which is extremely close to the rated mah of your batteries (which is obvious because it only took about an hour to charge the batteries). Ideally, you'd want the charger to take 2 or 3 hours to charge. I think the Pila may be a little strong for those batteries, but it should still work. 1 hour charging will generate heat and is hard on the batteries. Always charge with the top cover open to let heat escape.
Okay thanks for the info. I just got done posting in a new thread cause I did my homework, and found out why its hot. Just like you where saying the MAH of output pretty much matches the battery MAH.

The charger I used was for AA battery's and its a good one so it would not even try to work if something was wrong. On the other hand I was just looking to see if the light came on at all, that way I would know to look into that more or not.

So I guess they will work in the pila for now I just might want to charge outside for safety where its a little cooler and the door is open like you where saying. I did have it closed, but I can see why its best to leave open. Should be good to go. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread