Best Cigalike or Ego Mod for Vaping Beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trypno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
So my dad is going to need oxygen tanks soon to deal with COPD from years of heavy smoking, needless to say this means all smoking in the household has to go. My younger brother has been smoking since he was sixteen, my mom has been smoking for as long as I can remember. Compared to them, I'm a light smoker, I only started smoking when I was 20, just 7 years ago, whereas my brother's been smoking for about 9 years now I believe...my dad has also been smoking as long as I can remember, so my transition to vaping was less difficult than I believe their transition will be. I'd like to order something from the net for them, seeing as how it'll be my dad's birthday soon.
All three have expressed an interest in switching. I gave my brother my VUSE, but he doesn't use it much. So what I'm hunting for is a high performance cigalike/ego mod for beginners. I'll need a device that can ween them off of the psychological and physical factors of smoking a standard cigarette, preferably by imitating the size, feel, and 'smoke' of a cig.
I've done a little bit of looking, so far the Halo seems to be the winner on the cigalike front, however I'm looking for more opinion here.
Also, would you recommend a cigalike for heavy smokers, or would you recommend jumping straight to an eGo mod?
I don't want to intimidate either of them with a full on mod, so my figuring would be to start them with a well performing cigalike, or awesome eGo mod.
Sorry if my post seems...abbreviated...I'm lacking for nicotine at the moment lol.
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. :vapor:

Last edited:

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
I'm a female senior citizen and smoked for many, many years. Here is what was recommended to me, and I haven't had a cigarette since I got it over two months ago.

This is a starter kit by Kanger, and comes with everything you need except the juice. You get 2 ego batteries, 2 Evod toppers, and a charger. The ego batteries with topper are not cigarette sized, but not really huge either. About the size of a Sharpie marker. I got used to the size very quickly, and didn't feel awkward using it after smoking cigarettes for over 40 years. This set up is easy to use and works well. I highly recommend it for beginning vapers, especially older ones like me.

This is a reliable vendor, and if you use the code ECF at checkout, you get 10% off, making it about $30. It comes in black, or even some "girlie" colors which might appeal to your mom:

Kanger EVOD eGo Full Kit - Vaping Me

So sorry about your dad. My hubby has COPD but gets along pretty well during the day, and just uses his oxygen at night when he sleeps. I'll be thinking about all your family, and hope it goes well.:)

PS I first got the Blu starter kit, and used it for only a few days before I knew I needed something that would work better. It got me started, but in my opinion, it is no good for a heavy lifetime smoker.

03FXDWG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
East Central, Missouri
If you're sure about the cig-alikes, Halo, V2, Smokeless Image or a Kanger eSmart. I have a no-name KR808 automatic set with mini clearos that I use at work for potty breaks but I started with a pair of Twists, 1 EVOD & 1 iClear but I had a previous bad & incredibly expensive experience with the first generation NJOY rechargeables so I was extremely prejudiced against cig-alikes on my 2nd time around the block. I do suggest a manual battery over the automatics, although mine work flawlessly. I just prefer pushing the button to taking a primer puff. Whatever you decide on for your family, don't forget the spares. No way my 2 KR808's would keep up with my at home vaping style so I would probably be looking at at least one VV3 for the pass through ability for your new recruits.

Trypno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Alright so after a discussion with my dad, he mentioned he'd be willing to jump straight to a 900 style or smaller eGo mod. He knows nothing about vaping, and actually got burned on a cheap, overpriced cigalike. He does know he wants to be able to choose his own liquids. I'm sure my brother and mom would agree with these sentiments as well.
I don't think they'd be ready, though my brother has used my iTaste MVP from time to time, for something as bulky as a full on mod, let alone something as different as a box mod like the iTaste, though I'll have to ask my brother if he'd be interested in the iTaste and direct him to some information regarding vv/vw.
@BuggaInc. Would you possibly have another vendor link that's selling the EVOD's for about the same price? That one is sold out of most colors. Thanks all :D

Last edited:

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
Alright so after a discussion with my dad, he mentioned he'd be willing to jump straight to a 900 style or smaller eGo mod. He knows nothing about vaping, and actually got burned on a cheap, overpriced cigalike. He does know he wants to be able to choose his own liquids. I'm sure my brother and mom would agree with these sentiments as well.
I don't think they'd be ready, though my brother has used my iTaste MVP from time to time, for something as bulky as a full on mod, let alone something as different as a box mod like the iTaste, though I'll have to ask my brother if he'd be interested in the iTaste and direct him to some information regarding vv/vw.
@BuggaInc. Would you possibly have another vendor link that's selling the EVOD's for about the same price? That one is sold out of most colors. Thanks all :D

Here is the Kanger Evod kit for $34.95, and looks like they have quite a few colors in stock. I haven't ordered from this vendor, but looks like they are a registered supplier with ECF:

Kanger Evod Starter Kit

Since they are registered here, they may have a coupon code for a discount.

Trypno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks for the speedy updat Buggainok :D, my dad's oxygen setup just arrived today so the quest for their setups has just come to a head, so it looks like the EVOD takes the cake, especially at that price. If they ever want to step up to something different, they'll have the experience and knowledge of their first mod to go off of. I'll even be sure to link them to ECF :D

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
Thanks for the speedy updat Buggainok :D, my dad's oxygen setup just arrived today so the quest for their setups has just come to a head, so it looks like the EVOD takes the cake, especially at that price. If they ever want to step up to something different, they'll have the experience and knowledge of their first mod to go off of. I'll even be sure to link them to ECF :D

So glad I could help, Trypno. You're just great for stepping up and trying to help the whole family like this. I hope they make you proud and all become champion vapers! I'll be rooting for all of you.:)

JaxMike

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
Jacksonville FL
Never used them but from what I've read, and judging from the features, I think the Evod would be a good start. There are certainly "better" devices out there but these are relatively low cost, simple to use, and should provide more than enough functionality to help someone ween off cigarettes, if they're willing to try. Good luck!

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
Never used them but from what I've read, and judging from the features, I think the Evod would be a good start. There are certainly "better" devices out there but these are relatively low cost, simple to use, and should provide more than enough functionality to help someone ween off cigarettes, if they're willing to try. Good luck!

I can only speak for myself, but as an "older" person who smoked for years and years, I first thought I wanted a "cigalike" and got the Blu starter kit. Of course ,Blu's are kind of silly and the batteries don't last any time at all. I spent the first two days frantically charging them, terrified I would have a nicotine fit and smoke again.

The Evod beginner kit was just a step up, but a good step. The batteries were larger than a cigarette, but not so huge that I felt strange holding them. It worked so well for me, that I usually recommend it to anyone who thinks they want something "like a cigarette", especially older people. Some of us have a real "thing" about how stuff looks, lol.:)

I got more comfortable with the whole vaping concept pretty quickly, and don't care so much about how things look now. But I sure did at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread