Best coil build to save juice and maxamize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrentMydland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
SE US
Hello, I'm just getting into building to save money and wondering what is the best way to conserve juice and possibly maxamize flavor. I personally don't really care about clouds and probably would rather have less cloud production than more cloud production. Is there a certain type of build I could be using or vape at high or low wattage to save on juice? like diameter, number of wraps, ohm level, etc. Seems dripping uses a lot more juice.

I'll be using a plume veil and only have 28g kanthal right now. Would a different gauge help? Would a certain type of wick help? I would also prefer a cool to warm vape. Thanks

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina

BrentMydland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
SE US
Here is a spreadsheet that I use to use.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiaRSDxC1vG6dC1HZEtmY0pPYzBvdUw2blJHVjdkc1E&usp=sharing#gid=0

I fell in love with dripping so it is only natural I fell in love with the reo. It is the ultimate dripper as far as I am concerned. It is so nice having the juice there for me all the time. Check them out sometimes. reosmods.com

Good luck to you.

That is nice and all and I appreciate it but it does't really address my questions.

HMav

Aug 11, 2014
Melbourne, FL, United States
OP, I think mayhaps the question is mis-formed. Flavor and vapor production, and juice use go hand in hand.
To maximize economy, use finer wire and higher ohm single coil builds on lower airflow atties. Low power builds = low vapor production, low flavor, low juice use.
To maximize flavor, use larger wire, lower ohm, multiple coil builds on higher airflow atties. Meduim power builds = medium vapor production, medium to high flavor (kayfun and ilk), and medium juice use
To maximize vapor, use the largest wires, lowest ohms, most coils, highest airflow. high power builds = high vapor production, medium to high flavor (it really depends on too many things at this level to be specific) and high juice use.

These are over-generalizations for sure, but my point was more to help you understand that what you are asking for are two mutually exclusive ideals.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
That is nice and all and I appreciate it but it does't really address my questions.

Sorry, :oops: I did not really understand the question. Should read more carefully at 3 in the morning. I was thinking more about flavor I guess. The reo does have the best flavor I've ever experienced and it saves juice. But the spreadsheet should have helped with the wraps and your target ohms. I was just trying to help.

BrentMydland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
SE US
Sorry, :oops: I did not really understand the question. Should read more carefully at 3 in the morning. I was thinking more about flavor I guess. The reo does have the best flavor I've ever experienced and it saves juice. But the spreadsheet should have helped with the wraps and your target ohms. I was just trying to help.

That chart is helpful and i do appreciate it. Didnt mean to sound ungrateful.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
OP, I think mayhaps the question is mis-formed. Flavor and vapor production, and juice use go hand in hand.
To maximize economy, use finer wire and higher ohm single coil builds on lower airflow atties. Low power builds = low vapor production, low flavor, low juice use.
To maximize flavor, use larger wire, lower ohm, multiple coil builds on higher airflow atties. Meduim power builds = medium vapor production, medium to high flavor (kayfun and ilk), and medium juice use
To maximize vapor, use the largest wires, lowest ohms, most coils, highest airflow. high power builds = high vapor production, medium to high flavor (it really depends on too many things at this level to be specific) and high juice use.

These are over-generalizations for sure, but my point was more to help you understand that what you are asking for are two mutually exclusive ideals.

I don't believe this is accurate... I'm no expert, so this isn't law, just based on my experience/what I've read.
There are flavor attys and cloud attys and some that give great flavor and decent clouds.
Generally a smaller build space gives you better flavor i.e. smaller deck / smaller RDA (18mm or so instead of 22mm) like a K6/cyclone or A7 (not sure if its actually 18mm, thats just an example).
Also, Lower ohms/thicker wire go hand in hand, but the fatter wire has lower resistance so takes longer to heat up if built at the same ohms as a thinner/higher gauge wire.
Airflow is important, having lots of airflow (like doge or something with crazy airflow) on a coil with large surface area will give you bigger clouds (hence fatter wire). having tighter airflow.
Using ohms law you can up the power/heat/watts (all the same thing for our purposes) by lowering your ohms - true... but if you have a regulated mod you can up the Watts to give you a hotter vape without dropping your ohms, the heat is just more concentrated. Heat Air and Liquid make vapor. Hotter coils means more liquid vaporized faster, given the appropriate amount of airflow. Building higher ohms will use less amps and watts making your battery last longer, and with a tighter draw you can effectively vape less liquid and potentially get good flavor. The atty has to be designed for it though. I think the plume is meant to be a good mix of flavor and vapor. The vapor tastes different at different temperatures in different attys. mouth to lung hits usually allow for a lot of good flavor without costing a lot of vapor. You also get a bit more nicotine per drop of juice vaporized as it spends more time in your mouth where the nicotine is processed into the body. The vapor particles are larger than smoke so your lungs don't absorb the nicotine as well (if at all). Sure, you get more of a nic buzz when cloud chasing, hence cloud chasers using lower nic levels, but that has more do with the volume of juice vaporized/vapor inhaled than anything else I believe.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to be helpful :)
I like 28 ga single coils built around 1.2-1.6 as the ramp up time is low (no powered primer puffs to get the coils "going"). Dual coils I build around for a net of .8ohms (2 1.6 ohm coils). Depends on the atty of course, as I like a dense cool vape - so smaller decks get higher ohms and less voltage/wattage

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
That chart is helpful and i do appreciate it. Didnt mean to sound ungrateful.

Oh you didn't and I'm glad the chart was helpful. At least I do try to help. :oops: I guess because so many wonderful people have helped me. I want to give back. That is really the very best part of ecf.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
The Kayfun (Lite+) is designed for flavor and not huge amounts of vape I have read. Running mine at close to 1.6 Ohm with a 32 gauge wire. The flavor is excellent and the juice lasts a long time. :)

I run mine with 28a, but true that 1+ohms (i run 1.4-1.8 depending on inner diameter to get desired coil surface area)

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
I'm at 1.8 ohms / 10/12 watts. I've got some 28g I'd like to play around with and this gives me a starting point.

Thanks.

no doubt - enjoy. I loved learning on a vv/vw mod because you can raise/lower the wattage and see how it performs to give you a general idea of what a lower ohm coil at the same wattage could do. lower ohms, same wattage = less battery life. Build high to start with and you can bump up the watts to see how about it would taste on a lower ohm coil. Of course other factors like coil surface area effect the vape, but still, you get a general idea. Better than a mechanical because if you build it too high it's too cool/anemic (lower watts), if you build it too low its too hot/too powerful (high watts) - i find that a lot more frustrating.

Play safe and have fun :)

Just double checked my coil its a 1.3 - so 9-13w depending on battery load. With 18350s I vape through a tank and it drops the battery down to around 3.5 on the 800mah AW-IMRs I have. Max amp draw is under 3.3 amps and its a 12 amp battery, so I think I'm safe there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread