Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I'm a rayon guy, Been using it now for about 5 years . Bought a giant box from Sally's beauty supply for like 15 bucks and after 5 years I'm perhaps 1/4 of the way thru...the flavor from rayon is very clean and imo is just superior to cotton in all aspects

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
I'm a rayon guy, Been using it now for about 5 years . Bought a giant box from Sally's beauty supply for like 15 bucks and after 5 years I'm perhaps 1/4 of the way thru...the flavor from rayon is very clean and imo is just superior to cotton in all aspects
I've been meaning to try it. Any pitfalls or stuff to watch out for?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Rayon is a cleaner taste without the "wet t-shirt" sensation you get at startup with a new cotton wick. Rayon seems to last longer than cotton and it doesn't get gunked up like cotton.

Rayon shrinks when wet with juice. Cotton expands. Rayon needs to be tighter in the coil when you insert it as opposed to cotton because it shrinks a little.

You can get a 40ft box of Rayon from Sally's Beauty Supply for about $8 that can last you 2 or 3 years if you cut a couple of inches off each time and split it to fit your coil. You can get several wicks from that one small piece.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Rayon has infinite fiber length unlike cotton. This makes thinning it a bit odd. The main difficulty with rayon is procurement. The stuff is cheap but is produced mainly for the beauty industry and comes in a three-lifetime-supply size only.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Rayon here also, no odd flavor like cotton can sometimes give, it doesn’t expand like cotton when wet, it wicks more efficient, and more heat resistance. The clean flavor I can attest to the other stuff I’ve always heard is true but I’ve never personally substantiated it nor have I tried, the stuff just works well for me.
40ft. Box Of Rayon rope for $7 and a half https://www.amazon.com/Graham-Profe...raham’s+rayon&qid=1565107758&s=gateway&sr=8-3
Or if you just want a 10ft. Bag for $3 and three quarters https://www.amazon.com/Graham-Profe...raham’s+rayon&qid=1565107758&s=gateway&sr=8-4
Or if you want enough for wicking parties every day of the week for years here’s a 3# box for just under $30 https://www.amazon.com/Graham-Sanek...raham’s+rayon&qid=1565107758&s=gateway&sr=8-7

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Even with rayon though, don't overstuff the coil. You don't need to. I did a bit of that early on.

@Beamslider you are right, it is TERRIBLE that you have to enter a Sally's beauty store or even patronize them online, and you get more than you need for like 12 bucks. Just TERRIBLE.:lol::lol:

@Pigs, if you do go to Sally's make sure you get the box that is 100% rayon. They're both labeled "cellucotton" but you want the one that says 100% rayon you can also buy it from Amazon if you so desire

Anna

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
No pitfalls that I have found. Like already mentioned , you do use a bit more in coil compared to cotton , imo about 15 percent, but that depends on how much cotton you use personally. I always went a little tighter with cotton, but if you are use to a very little cotton amount than you might find you are using 25 percent more rayon then cotton. One thing most do is thread the coil , than reduce the tails by 20 percent, so perhaps that is a downfall as it's another step....also if your use to wicks being already pre formed, than another downfall is that you need to form and cut the wicks. Rayon comes in a very long rope, so there is some cutting involved

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Last edited:

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
No pitfalls that I have found. Like already mentioned , you do use a bit more in coil compared to cotton , imo about 15 percent, but that depends on how much cotton you use personally. I always went a little tighter with cotton, but if you are use to a very little cotton amount than you might find you are using 25 percent more rayon then cotton. One thing most do is thread the coil , than reduce the tails by 20 percent, so perhaps that is a downfall as it's another step....also if your use to wicks being already pre formed, than another downfall is that you need to form and cut the wicks. Rayon comes in a very long rope, so there is some cutting involved
I usually use Kendo Gold which comes in a big rope so forming the wicks is fine. This is all great info. Will definitely give rayon a run. Thanks

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
Well, like the comparison of the best car, the best cellphone and every topic related to: which is the best bla bla for ble ble?

There is no best over all brands, models and products out there, all depends mostly on you taste and personal liking, for example i like a lot Cotton baccon for my RTA's, cotton bacon prime too, for my RDA's i rather regular CB over the Prime one, or even the Kempo vape cotton, there will be people that hate or didnt had great results with my preferred items, that does not mean that will be bad choice or so, is just taste and personal preferences, we could recommend the things that have worked for us the best!

Another thing to consider, every RTA wicks different... so you should try at least 3 different products to see which one is the better for you,

My pick: cotton bacon V2 and cotton bacon prime

Regards,

mcduffy

ECF Veteran
  • Jul 9, 2017
    Rayon here also, no odd flavor like cotton can sometimes give, it doesn’t expand like cotton when wet, it wicks more efficient, and more heat resistance. The clean flavor I can attest to the other stuff I’ve always heard is true but I’ve never personally substantiated it nor have I tried, the stuff just works well for me.
    40ft. Box Of Rayon rope for $7 and a half https://www.amazon.com/Graham-Profe...raham’s+rayon&qid=1565107758&s=gateway&sr=8-3
    Or if you just want a 10ft. Bag for $3 and three quarters https://www.amazon.com/Graham-Profe...raham’s+rayon&qid=1565107758&s=gateway&sr=8-4
    Or if you want enough for wicking parties every day of the week for years here’s a 3# box for just under $30 https://www.amazon.com/Graham-Sanek...raham’s+rayon&qid=1565107758&s=gateway&sr=8-7
    The second link for the 10ft. bag despite the description is actually cotton and not rayon according to the photo, customer reviews and a search on the item model number.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    I use rayon, got the 40' from Amazon. I also have used cotton bacon prime and V2, as well as muji pads.
    CB prime is nice. It has a good texture to work with, and a very neutral flavor, similar to rayon, but doesn't pronounce the sweeteners as much. CBv2 is ok too, but I prefer rayon over that.
    Really, after the needs of the atomizer, which I must admit, I haven't used an RTA, just RDAs, the type of juice you use is just as important, as wick can impart flavor, or mute, or brighten certain notes.

Pigs

Vaping
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    I ended up with a pack of Cotton bacon V2 that was included by the vendor with a spool of ss wire I bought. I have to admit that it is excellent cotton for wicks
    Yeah I've tried 2 versions if cotton bacon and it seems ok in small RTAs but doesn't last as long as Kendo Gold. The speed and efficiency of wicking was what I was most interested in.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread