The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Best Flavor

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by dennism, Nov 3, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. dennism

dennism Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 18, 2015
    Maryland
    Do you get better flavor from dl or mtl? I vape both, mtl in the morning and evening, dl during the day. IMHO I think the dl has better flavor, what do you guys/ladies think?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I agree. I am enjoying vaping far more now that I dl than when I did mtl. Flavor is more intense. I started mtl because at the time that was all that was available and I am not complaining one bit. But with dl the draw is effortless and more satisfying.

:)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I think with DTL there is much more vapor inhaled, so one could perceive that it provides more flavor than MTL.

Add to the fact that nicotine can sometimes mask flavor with its own flavor contribution (peppery). Most people who DTL lower their nicotine concentration because they are probably using sub-ohm, so nicotine will not contribute so much to the flavor.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. QcVaper

QcVaper Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 17, 2017
    Canada/Quebec
    I 100% agree with this statement.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    AL that being said, mtl can be quite tasty too. It's whatever way you find that fits your preference.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Vapefiend

Vapefiend Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2015
    Connecticut
    Mtl for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FΛDED

FΛDED Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 30, 2017
    Austin, Texas
    Flavor can be equally satisfying (DL/MTL) depending on what device your using. A KF can blow a lot of RDAs out of the water.

DL: Robust and intense vaping experience. Sub ohm. Builds are generally lower than 1ohm. Also includes series devices, high voltage/wattage users. Low nicotine. Usually this method of vaping is favorited by hobbyist and experienced vapers; users that rebuild RDAs, RTAs, use sub ohm tanks, etc.

MTL: High nicotine. Almost always favorited by new vapers who are transitioning from smoking to vaping. How most of us started. Some might not dig the clouds or care much about flavor but only use this and be fine. Experienced vapers enjoy nostalgia of cigarette-like draw, throat hit, and use MTL to vape low-key (public places) or when driving (pod based devices).

I mainly DL, sometimes I break out my KF for a nice MTL.

DL or MTL. There isn't a right way, best way, or coolest way. Choose your own path and run with it. Just don't smoke.

8. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Just my opinion,
    DTL usually means using liquids containing higher % VG.
    VG mutes flavors usually causing folks to increase flavorings % to overcome the muting effect.
    Not uncommon to see 15%, 20% up to an outrageous 30% total flavorings & sweeteners used in high % VG liquids.

My normal 50/50 liquids are between 2% & 5% total flavorings, 0 sweeteners.
    My wife has one little used flavor that is 7% total.
    Both of us use an open/ free non restricted MTL.

Just me, if there is still an unknown in vaping it is the effects of long term use/inhaling large quantities of the flavorings & sweeteners which were never designed or tested to be 'safe' for inhalation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. AngeNZ

AngeNZ Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I'm in the middle of DL and MTL - vape an RTA (2.3mm airflow) with a 0.5 ohm coil but only at 15 watts.

Generally I vape it mtl but at times DL as well.

Anyway the flavour is awesome no matter how I breathe it in ;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. FΛDED

FΛDED Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 30, 2017
    Austin, Texas
    I agree. The long term health effect for everyday daily vapers is unknown. Not surprising though, vaping has only been around since the early 2000's. So give or take 18 years. There hasn't been a sufficient long term study because it's considered new but I'm hoping as long as we use it every once in while, in regular doses it's safe. I'd bet some doctors or college students might be coming up with one or have already started one but it might be too early to know. What I do know is that too much of anything can be bad. I'm sure vaping would be too.

• Like Like x 1
  11. United States

United States Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    To me the atomizer matters more than the draw style.

Nothing plus nothing equals nothing. So a flavorless atomizer won't have good flavor with either draw style.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. vapdivrr

vapdivrr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Seems like most new vapors go directly into dtl these days, as that's mainly the devices they sell in stores. I really don't know this for sure, but I seem to see more dtl new vapors in the "new members" forum as well. To me rebuildables seem to be in the more experienced category, not necessarily dtl

13. vapdivrr

vapdivrr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    I can sit here and do a mtl inhale on my mtl rta and get exactly the same flavor as if I do a dtl inhale, no difference at all (actually when i do a dtl inhale, the added air intake seems to dilute the flavor a tad) . So is the question more like, is a hi powered tank that uses sub ohm coils and goes through 5x's the juice better in flavor then a lower powered tank better for flavor? Personally I think if one is inhaling massive amounts of clouds in one vape compared to a little cloud, you simply taste more of the vapor. If you put one grain of salt on your tongue, it won't be as salty as if you put a whole teaspoons in your mouth.

• Love Love x 1
  14. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    It seems like dl was where all the growth in the vape hardware was. But if you look at say the RTA section here, the first page is dominated by activity about mtl tanks, pods have taken off and have their own section now, and there's a ton of new nic salt juices being released every week. So mtl is far from dead, dl is still not the main way new vapers start, and I feel it's healthy for the industry to see growth and innovation for both forms of vaping.

As to long term health effects of things like flavorings, and there probably will be some adverse effects, if I were 30 I'd worry about it and have a plan to stop vaping at some point after losing the smokes. But at 61 I'm not nearly as concerned as I doubt I'll be any worse off than if I continued to smoke, and reasonably confident that the long term effects won't be an issue in my life. But that's my call on my health. I totally understand others who prefer to avoid higher amounts of juice vaped per day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Violetti Usva

Violetti Usva Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 1, 2017
    I don't do either anymore...I basically just inhale into my mouth, maybe very slightly into my lungs and blow out huge clouds of tasty vapor - freebase nicotine doesn't absorb well in the lungs anyway so I don't see the point in either. I think we should call it "atomiser to mouth" vaping, or for short one can simply say "I do ATM"

...on second thought, we should call it ANYTHING else.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Pete M

Pete M Senior Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Think flavour depends on the tank a lot as well as whether it's MTL/DTL. What I do know is that to get more flavour on my DTL tank I boost up the wattage and get through juice quicker. But the Zenith is an MTL tank which has a good rep for flavour (with good reason!)

17. Pete M

Pete M Senior Member

Aug 5, 2018
    I'm in my mid-30s and do have a similar feeling as I did when I was smoking now after 8 years of vaping (ie, I should have a plan to phase out the vaping too). But realistically I think the motivation isn't strong enough for me at the moment. There's a few more reliable seeming studies coming out (ie not the sensationalist scare tactics ones) about the downsides of vaping which are making me consider ayt least cutting down a bit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.