Best hardware for begginers just starting out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician613

Dec 16, 2015
Hey everyone!
Brand new member here posting for the first time. I started vaping about 1 year ago. Like a lot of people I was trying to quit cigarettes. Proud to say no cigarettes in the last 5 months. I'm not real big into the technical side of vaping with the sub ohms or having to calculate ohms law. I do enough of that at work. For me I like being able to pop in a charged battery, fill the tank and replace a coil every now and then and go. Right now I have a Eleaf istick 100w after using a dovpo for about 10 months. It was a very seamless transition. My sister in law wants to get started vaping and quit cigarettes so I was looking to get her a set up for Christmas. I know she doesn't want anything near the size of my istick 100w. I first started with the pen type vapes but they seemed very fragile. I went through 4 pens in the first 6 weeks from shorting out or tightening the tank too much and I got very frustrated and intimidated to be honest. Trying to dodge that hassle again. What I have kind of decided on is a Eleaf mini istick 20w. The box is pretty much half the size of my 100w which I think would be a perfect size. The reviews I've read all seem to be good. I haven't had any problems out of my Eleaf and they seem to be very well made. With it seeming to be very user friendly I think it would be a good fit as far as the "charge, fill and go" mentality. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or recommendations that I should look into? Sorry for the long rant but wanted to provide a little background. Looking forward to expanding my knowledge on the subject of vaping. Thanks for you time!
Go Dawgs!
Brandyn Melton

Electrician613

Dec 16, 2015
I will definitely check those out Dave. I'm actually in the market for a new tank for my 100w. Right now I've got an Aspire Atlantis right now. Just looking for something new, don't really want to go any bigger than that. Most websites are recommending the ijust 2 atomizer. Looks pretty much the same as the Atlantis. Worth the money or more of a lateral move? Thanks Dave!

dave51

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2014
oklahoma
I will definitely check those out Dave. I'm actually in the market for a new tank for my 100w. Right now I've got an Aspire Atlantis right now. Just looking for something new, don't really want to go any bigger than that. Most websites are recommending the ijust 2 atomizer. Looks pretty much the same as the Atlantis. Worth the money or more of a lateral move? Thanks Dave!

Your welcome
I have 4 of the segelei and they are a great mod small and lite plus when i go out I carry an extra battery and dont have to worry about charging it

I personally build my own coils only takes about 10 minutes and last much longer than store bought
My everyday tanks now are a UD Goliathv2 and a Lemo 2
The goliathv2 does use replaceable coils for sub ohming

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I was able to nudge my wife away from pens into box mods with an blue porcelain pattern istick 30w. Once she began to get used to the size and shape she wanted even more battery life. Now she has a couple of Evic VTC minis. (Her stuff is better than mine) However, she still uses old Kanger T2 clearos and vapes at 7.5 watts, so she hasn't completely given up the old ways.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
What I have kind of decided on is a Eleaf mini istick 20w.

Get the 30w.

Spring loaded pin, and is able to "down regulate" better than the 20w did.

Problems that the 20w had were corrected in the 30w istick.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hard to beat an istick 30 and a nautilus or naut mini. Just my opinion....
Same opinion, especially for someone just coming off cigarettes who Vapes mouth to lung style. Or an Istick TC40W with the nautilus mini but use the regular 1.6 or 1.8 ohm nautilus coils not the temp control coils.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    My first vaping gear was a Sigelei 75W box mod with Aspire Atlantis II. It is rock solid and I enjoyed it, but within weeks I wanted more so I bought a Sigelei 150W box mod and I've been using it ever since. I vape at around 55W to 75W and it does everything I need. I wish that I had just bought the 150W box mod first.

Ex IBEW 134 & 152, btw 1986 - 1988.

Last edited:

Oberon75

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 26, 2014
    Roseville, Mi, USA
    If getting into a 30w device, I would recommend something more like this. Better quality than China. Made in the USA and uses an Evolv board. These are only $59 now. They used to cost a couple hundred.

V3 Mini DNA 30 Collection : DNA Box Mods, by HANA MODZ

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hotwire

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 20, 2010
    England
    For a beginner I'd recommend having the following

1. a 900mah ego battery and some standard EVOD tanks and some low VG non premium liquids, higher nicotine.

2. A cool fire 4 or I stick 30W, basically a good well made device that can fire at least up to 30 Watts and the following tanks to use on it

3. A Nautilus / Nautilus Mini tank to use at around 15 watts with basic or premium liquids that are no higher than 50Vg 50Pg and not dark in colour. A third less than your nic level for the EVOD.

4. A sub ohm tank (I like the subtank nano by Kanger) with a .5ohm coild and some premium 50/50 or higher VG liquids to go with it to fire at around 25 - 30 watts, wouldn't go higher than 6mg nicotine.

That's what gets me by and keeps me good as sometimes you get bored of one set up or flavour and if you do not have another that provides a slightly different experience to go straight to, you can sometimes give in to the old craving....

always best - at least for me - also to have at least 3 different flavoured liquids on the go so not get bored and not have to spend hassle cleaning and drying tanks and coils for refilling and using new flavours... This way each fill of my 3 tanks (EVOD, Subtank Nano, Nautilus Mini) lasts a lot longer and also I just fill it up with same liquid that I have found suits it, so less cleaning and drying etc...

Good luck

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    When someone mentions a mod and you want to consider it, go to the APV forum and use the search bar to read about the mod. A very good example is to read about the iStick 20w.

It will really help you get a better gift. Also, realize just what she wants/needs to start. It probably won't need to have a flux capacitor.

For toppers, the Nautilus Mini or Protank will be easier. As you learn, teach her. She will appreciate vaping and the benefits more.

Good luck!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread