Best mechanical mods - advice pls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheila Michele 1971

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
use your head, the power source has nothing to do with flavor or vapor production unless you make a coil incompatible with said power source. I have used unregulated devices and they are ok but regulated devices are just better because a) you can tune the amount of power to the pg/vg ratio of the juice you're currently using and dont have to rebuild your atty because it gets a bit too hot for example b) you're not at the mercy of the battery voltage slowly dropping off as the battery gets empty and get the same experience with an almost empty battery as you do with a full one.

BTW you can always use a kick to 'regulate' a mech using watts. You can also get one of those 2 cent for safety thingies (cant for the life of me remember what its really called)

Oh, and using the kick also allows the battery to use that setting thruout the course of the battery life, just like a regulated device can.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
You see, this is what's so cool about vaping right now. There are so many types of devices available, from cigalikes to APV's & mega-mods that there's sure to be something for everyone! Since there's not one thing that's right for everyone, it's great that there's a wide variety of choices!

I'm glad people can share what works for them so newbies & vets alike can learn about different options, but... let's not get away from the topic of helping people and degenerate into an opinion bashing contest.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
The OP is asking for advice on mech mods, not questions regarding vv/vw.

I too wondered why anyone would buy a mech.. it seemed a step backwards after the last year of owning regulated devices. I bought an Electric Angel (Finnvape has the best price) and I enjoy both worlds. If I HAD to choose just one, I'd have to stay with the provari but using a mech with a genesis with a .8 coil in it is an awesome vape.

It's a quality device that's not unobtainable :)

Last edited:

CascadianExotics

Jan 14, 2013
Portland OR
thats kind of weak dont you think? your argument being an assumption about me with a dash of ignorance towards any other possibilites

I'm just trying to disperse silly myths

Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed...or batteries died in their Provari, LOL!!!

Personally, I do not understand all the hype in regulated mods. Sure, there's protection for your batteries....but, that's all the advantages I can see. With the only regulated device I've had, it seemed like I spent more time fiddling with the voltage than enjoying the vape.

I like to keep it simple. If I feel like fiddling, I'll build a coil. If I just want to kick back, I'll put a tank / carto / clearo / drip atty in my chosen resistance on my eGo / mechanical mod, and vape away.

Maybe the OP feels the same way. Maybe they want the experience. Maybe they just want an answer to their question without someone trying to interject an opposing viewpoint to the topic at hand....

Sheila Michele 1971

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
the kick effectively turns it into a weak regulated mod with reduced battery space so why not get a proper regulated one to begin with? :p

Using a kick can regulate it when you are vaping cartos or attys you purchase. For the ones you make yourself, you use the mech.
Now, granted, Im a novice when it comes to RBAs but I was told you shouldnt use any rebuildables on a regulated device no matter what ohm you build.

Clearo-Mizer

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2013
Woodstock Ga
i do build my own coils, there is no reason to build a coil so low resistance that you cant use it with a regulated mod, just either use thinner wire or preferedly put more loops (= more surface area = more even temperature = produces more vapor before it burns).

use your head, the power source has nothing to do with flavor or vapor production unless you make a coil incompatible with said power source. I have used unregulated devices and they are ok but regulated devices are just better because a) you can tune the amount of power to the pg/vg ratio of the juice you're currently using and dont have to rebuild your atty because it gets a bit too hot for example b) you're not at the mercy of the battery voltage slowly dropping off as the battery gets empty and get the same experience with an almost empty battery as you do with a full one.

so glad someone said this...sub ohm coils are only made to get higher wattage to a fixed 3.7 volt devise...this can be achieved with a VV/VW devise with a standard 1.5 ohm coil...

its simple ...ohms law...i personally think its a fad..

OK for the OP

the "best" is all opinion...and with this topic i am sure you will get plenty...and some people will start spouting mech mod names and all that...like GG, Poldiac,Chi-u,Roller,Gus,bla bla bla...well these things are made from unobtanium and if you get lucky enough to find one in stock you are gonna pay 200-270 bucks for one.

Here is some advise...go to VaporJoes.com...follow the link for the Sigelei China Chi...its a clone of a very nice mech mod..30 bucks...or go to Discountvapors.com and get this http://www.discountvapers.com/kts-mechanical-mod/

that is a GG clone...and its awesome basically made to spec..I have one and its nice.

dont get discouraged when looking for a "luxury" mech mod...there are plenty of clones that work very well

Last edited:

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Using a kick can regulate it when you are vaping cartos or attys you purchase. For the ones you make yourself, you use the mech.
Now, granted, Im a novice when it comes to RBAs but I was told you shouldnt use any rebuildables on a regulated device no matter what ohm you build.

Its perfectly safe to use hand built coils on a regulated mod. In fact its safer than using on a mechanical. I use my Provari to test my coils sometimes. I build 1.5 ohm coils in my spheroid and kayfun to carry around with me on a regulated mod lots of people rebuild Nova and Kanger heads. It ok to use them on your regulated mods as long as the resistance is not to low.
The Kick is a great device you are 100% correct it give you the best of both worlds it was designed when there were more unregulated options for mods than regulated but it seems to be still widely used.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
so glad someone said this...sub ohm coils are only made to get higher wattage to a fixed 3.7 volt devise...this can be achieved with a VV/VW devise with a standard 1.5 ohm coil...

OK for the OP

the "best" is all opinion...and with this topic i am sure you will get plenty...and some people will start spouting mech mod names and all that...like GG, Poldiac,Chi-u,Roller,Gus,bla bla bla...well these things are made from unobtanium and if you get lucky enough to find one in stock you are gonna pay 200-270 bucks for one.

Here is some advise...go to VaporJoes.com...follow the link for the Sigelei China Chi...its a clone of a very nice mech mod..30 bucks...or go to Discountvapors.com and get this KTS - Stainless - Mechanical Mod

that is a GG clone...and its awesome basically made to spec..I have one and its nice.

dont get discouraged when looking for a "luxury" mech mod...there are plenty of clones that work very well

Im going to have to disagree with you Clearo-Mizer Its kind of like comparing a Provari to a Vamo Yes the Vamo is ok but it is not nearly as reliable or accurate or crafted nearly as well as a Provari
Same goes with a Chi Chi and a GG The Chi Chi is ok but it is not in the same league as a GG. I have mods ranging from 40$ to 400$ in price yes they all produce vapor yes the high end mods are by no means necessary. But there is a difference.
I always point new Mechanical users to the EA mod its mid priced, builder support, and for ethical reasons its not a rip off.

GraCnT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I like the smoketech natural..... I don't have one.. but I'm saving lol... Funny thing is,, there are new ones coming out all the time,,, but for now, the Natural does it for me... ((There is a P. Busardo vid on just this thing,, lower ohms and mechanicals, he just talked of this))
Also, you can't go wrong with the gg clone at Hoosier vapes for under $30!
Whichever you choose ENJOY it, and vape on!!!!

trixnrice

Verified Member
Jan 17, 2013
Missoula, MT

OK for the OP

Here is some advise...go to VaporJoes.com...follow the link for the Sigelei China Chi...its a clone of a very nice mech mod..30 bucks...or go to Discountvapors.com and get this KTS - Stainless - Mechanical Mod

i agree with you, it may be a fad, especially in souther California but there is reason to it. thats fine, u state ohms law, thats a very basic and correct way of looking at dc current voltagexamps=watts, and all the other ways you can derive the same equation. However, its also true that signifiant factor in vapor production is wire temperature. Wattage to wattage is not comparable at different resistance's and wire gauges. thicker gauges with lower resistances have a lower wire temp, and depending on the juice will produce better flavor. To obtain the similar wattage, u either lower resistance to increase electron flow, or you increase voltage (wither higher resistance coils) to push those e's through a higher resistant wire. Higher voltage is related to higher thermal conductivity and you'll burn juice easier with that higher wire temp. But in the end, like a few others have said, its all preference, i own both a number of "brand name" mechs and clones, an evic, and a vamo that i now use as an ohm meter (hehe). I tell you, besides machining, which is hit or miss, the conductivity of the internal connections of clones, are somewhat lacking, because the alloys they use are inferior (cheap compositional brass with lots of zinc), or its not plated with higher conductive metals like silver or purer copper. But yes, you right they work fine for most. Simply put, my PREFERENCE, are Mech's though. Just thought i'd clarify a few things here. LEts all just vape and be happy.

Sheila Michele 1971

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My VAMO2 is great. Works like a champ and gives me great vape. (vv/vw mod)
The k100 is a kamry (similar to the one linked a few posts ago) and its priced between 35-52 depending on the vendor and if you get a kit. (mech mod)

Again, I stress that I personally LOVE both of these mods. Neither feels cheap or inferior.

Last edited:

Clearo-Mizer

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2013
Woodstock Ga
Im going to have to disagree with you Clearo-Mizer Its kind of like comparing a Provari to a Vamo Yes the Vamo is ok but it is not nearly as reliable or accurate or crafted nearly as well as a Provari
Same goes with a Chi Chi and a GG The Chi Chi is ok but it is not in the same league as a GG. I have mods ranging from 40$ to 400$ in price yes they all produce vapor yes the high end mods are by no means necessary. But there is a difference.
I always point new Mechanical users to the EA mod its mid priced, builder support, and for ethical reasons its not a rip off.

Its quite alright to disagree...But I have to disagree with your comparison...its NOT like comparing a prothing and a Vamo...(I have vaped them side by side and there is not alot if difference...I actually prefer the vamo because of the menu..but that is another discussion)
its not a good comparison because basically in a mech the only things that count are sturdy build, switch and voltage drop to the 510...as long as these three things are all good then its up to the delivery devise to do its job.

the KTS is amazing for the price..compared to the GG its almost spec clone..the threading is smooth but the tubes are a tad thinner..and when I put the meter on it and fire it ..it has less than a .0010volt drop from the battery ..so hey I am very happy with it.

the Chi Chi is looking very promising magnetic switching, very heavy tubing...gonna torch mine :laugh:

As long as the "luxury" modders starve the market with the intention to create "rarity" designed to bolster the 250 dollar price tag for a piece of turned stainless and a switch and a 510 connector...china mods will be here to gladly "feed the market"

Ethics I wont go into...thats another discussion and I think we both know where each other stand on that issue :toast:...no need to get it all cranked up in this post.

Clearo-Mizer

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2013
Woodstock Ga
i agree with you, it may be a fad, especially in souther California but there is reason to it. thats fine, u state ohms law, thats a very basic and correct way of looking at dc current voltagexamps=watts, and all the other ways you can derive the same equation. However, its also true that signifiant factor in vapor production is wire temperature. Wattage to wattage is not comparable at different resistance's and wire gauges. thicker gauges with lower resistances have a lower wire temp, and depending on the juice will produce better flavor. To obtain the similar wattage, u either lower resistance to increase electron flow, or you increase voltage (wither higher resistance coils) to push those e's through a higher resistant wire. Higher voltage is related to higher thermal conductivity and you'll burn juice easier with that higher wire temp. But in the end, like a few others have said, its all preference, i own both a number of "brand name" mechs and clones, an evic, and a vamo that i now use as an ohm meter (hehe). I tell you, besides machining, which is hit or miss, the conductivity of the internal connections of clones, are somewhat lacking, because the alloys they use are inferior (cheap compositional brass with lots of zinc), or its not plated with higher conductive metals like silver or purer copper. But yes, you right they work fine for most. Simply put, my PREFERENCE, are Mech's though. Just thought i'd clarify a few things here. LEts all just vape and be happy.

I get you...I do have a RDA with a .8 in it..28 3/4 kanthal wrap, it makes clouds...tastes great..

check out what Sigelei is doing now...they have really stepped up the clone quality...all brass (chromed)or stainless tubes brass and stainless contacts the rep told me they are really stepping up the quality to meet the demand from the us for "better clones"
My KTS GG clone is awesome all brass (chromed) and brass contacts... but yeah some of the clones out there are junk.

Last edited:

thxone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2013
Concord, NC
So I have a vamo with vivi nova and am looking for something better overall to get that elusive perfect vape!
What are the most highly rated mechanical mods out there.

This is just my :2c: but there is nothing wrong with a VAMO... I just sold mine but WILL get another. I am also going to get the Natural mech. mod. I used a vivi and kanger MT3 and EVOD and Protank... but two tanks I used that made me wonder why I bought them is the AGA-T2 and IGO-L. The Protank is great though, but not the same ballpark as the AGA and certainly not the IGO-L.

I understand wanting a mechanical mod... I do as well and will have one but on a less expensive side of things I would say try this:

1. Get an AGA-T2 or RSST. Try these with both a SS wick and a Silica wick. I think you will be super pleased with the vape.
2. Get an IGO-L. Absolutely perfect when you are home and want nothing but pure flavor and enjoyment from vaping.
3. Get that mechanical mod... and now you have better "tanks" (RBA/RDA) to use on it.

On a side note... if you haven't already tried the VAMO in "wattage" mode and "RMS" mode, please do... it can help as well. It's nice to set it at the wattage you like to vape at and have it do the rest for you. Don't give up on it, it's a great mod.

Again, just my :2c:

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
IMO the flavor and vapor production is way better than what I've tried on regulated devices. I have tried setups on Provaris...I still prefer my mechanicals.
Hear, hear ...

the power source has nothing to do with flavor or vapor production unless you make a coil incompatible with said power source.
Mechanical mods work on DC, not cyclic pulse which directly affects the way juice is vaporized and tastes are imparted.

... the kick effectively turns it into a weak regulated mod ...
The kick does not convert DC to pulse cycles.

I like the smoketech natural
This is probably among the best bucks for the money. Great mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread