Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    With so many different reply’s would definitely be a good idea to create a poll I think. Some great replys here going to go through them all and review !

Obviously Brunhilde MTL RTA would go on top... and stay there;)
    Good Luck with your choice!!

• Winner
    Reactions: ShowMeTwice

vapemate93

ECF Veteran
    Jun 13, 2016
    Anyone who says a Kayfun isn't the best MTL RTA hasn't tried a Kayfun...period

I’m in a weird predicament, I really like the idea of the Kay fun and it’s such an iconic tank , but have you noticed generally not a lot of people mention them? I would love to try one probably more than any RTA but it’s the fact of paying £80 for the 21 lite kayfun and a chance I don’t like it

vapemate93

ECF Veteran
    Jun 13, 2016
    Just from my rather odd experience (I pretty much moved away from Chinese stuff and have a personal aversion to clones) I've found that old is better than new. I keep a lot of mods in rotation, and right now I'm using a Kayfun V5, Mini V3, Hurricane 1.3, Taifun GTII, and a Byka V6. Even though they're all a few years old I find they give the great saturated flavor and throat hit I like in MTL. I rate the Skyline very highly also and use it daily, but it's pretty much just not available new or used at this point.

I can't help you regarding the Galaxy but agree with you about the Berserker. I think I still have one around here somewhere. It was highly rated and raved about but just didn't come that close for me.

If you're OK with having to buy premade coils, anything using the Aspire Nautilus coil is pretty good. Their original 1.6 and 1.8 coils were reliable favorites. A couple of years later, they released a .07 version which was a noticeable improvement. And a little more recently the .07 mesh coil came out, and is also an improvement. You can still get new Nautilus tanks, and they do well though my favorite for the coil is the Kabuki. I think there are a few new ones left and I see used ones from time to time at very reasonable prices.

There is one current atomizer I'm really fond of - the Van & Del/Mark Todd M.T. Essentials Haar. I'll warn you that it will make you rethink your building process. It needs a lot more cotton than anything else I have, but once I hit the sweet spot it is among my favorite devices.

And the Taifun is great. But be careful. Ever since the GTII, they have moved towards the DL side of things. I bought a GTIII the first week it was released because the GTII was so great. But I could never get it closed down enough for a vape I liked and still have any flavor. I sold it within a month of receiving it. Apparently the GTIV was even more open. I've heard good thing about their latest, but sadly don't trust Taifun at this point enough to spend that much (worth every penny for quality, though) for something I may not like.
    Interesting, if you had to choose just one tank for every day true MTL that you have mentioned which is it you would choose? Reason I’m asking as a lot of your mentions are in my list.

thanswr1

ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2017
    Brunhilde MTL RTA;)
    Definitely worth a really good look:thumb:

Ditto on Brunhilde. Great flavor and easy to use. Lots of room for a 3mm coil. Almost goof proof.

Almost. Filling the tank can be a little tricky. Don't make the mistake I did and try to finesse it. Just shove the nozzle in the hole, keep it there and fill the tank.

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2015
    Flyover Central
    Interesting, if you had to choose just one tank for every day true MTL that you have mentioned which is it you would choose? Reason I’m asking as a lot of your mentions are in my list.

That's a question I can't answer because it depends on what's most important to you. Right now, the Haar is clearly the best for its combination of intense flavor, throat hit, and smoothness. But it has a lot of parts to pay attention to and it took me a couple of builds to find out what it wanted.

Both of the Kayfuns have great flavor, but even after using them for years I still occasionly get the wicking wrong. Same for the Hurricane, with an added irritation that for some reason in the last year or so almost every time I unscrew the tank for a refill, the chamber cap unscrews with it also. The GTII has great flavor but has such a saturated vape that weeping from the airflow holes is almost always there.

And finally, the Byka stands alone. I have no idea how they did it but I have yet to find a way to mess up a build. It just doesn't care. Never a leak, never a weep, never a dry hit. Just consistently great flavor - but, like the Hurricane has that plastic threading onto stainless issue and I've had to replace caps on both simply due to the threads just wearing out.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    The old Kayfun V4 is a stellar MTL vape, easy to build and fill.
    Kayfun V4.jpg

CAAB

ECF Veteran
    Feb 9, 2019
    New York
    As @pbusardo likes to say, what might be the 'best' MTL tank for one person, may not be the best for another. For example, he addresses this point in his Kayfun Lite 2019 review:

I've also heard him say something that I agree with, and that is there are tradeoffs with these tanks. You might get gains in one area at the expenses of losses in another area. I guess my point is here that you have to find what features are important for you. That will help you narrow things down. But ultimately everyone's experience is personal.

Fortunately I've never come across a 'bad' tank. There has always been a learning curve to be sure. Sometimes I hate a tank at first, but after some effort, I figure it out and enjoy it.

As far as what I've used and what works for me personally. So far the Kayfun Lite 2019 with the XS centerpin is my favorite. I really like a tight draw and the draw on this is butter smooth and quiet. It doesn't whistle, which drives me crazy. The flavor is fantastic as well. The build is tricky and you don't have much room for fancy coils. But I think the small chamber makes for great flavor, and you don't need anything more than round wire. It's bottom fill. To be honest, I like that. It's simple, less parts to go wrong.

I just purchased the Kayfun Lite Plus 2021, I look forward to trying that.

I also have the Brunhilde MTL RTA. The build deck on that has room for a larger coil and it's easier to build on. I like that when you change the build, you can keep the tank as is. That's great for NET eliquids that gunk up coils fast. Although it can be a pain to fill through the tiny fill hole.

I just wish the Brunhilde had a 1mm insert. They go from .8mm to 1.2mm. You can adjust the airflow from the outside, but that takes fussing about and it is kind of loud when tightened from the outside. The Kayfun Lite is better in that respect, you can make infinite adjustments with airflow, then never have to set it again, and it's a smoother draw in my opinion.

The Kayfun Prime is nice. I think the top fill option is nice, and it's easier to make adjustments in airflow on the fly. But you don't get the precise control on airflow as you do in the Kayfun Lite.

I tried the Taifun GTR RTA. I like it. Great flavor and airflow options. The only thing is that you have all these things you have to turn in order to get the right juice and airflow. I have a tendancy to turn the wrong things. I have to be careful. I prefer the Brunhilde or the Kayfun Lite over the GTR RTA.

One cheap tank I really like is the SXK Doggystyle 2K16. It's very simple. It has very good flavor. The airflow can be a little tricky, it's a continuous ring. So you have to adjust it each time you put the tank back on. And it's bottom fill. I like using it when I run 4 comparison eliquids. They are so cheap that 4 won't break the bank.

I also look forward to trying the Innoken Ares 2. A @pbusardo and @Dimitris creation.

I'd be curious if anyone here has tried both the Brunhilde MTL RTA and the Taifun GX. They both have a similar concept, although the Taifun GX has a more complex airflow and is way more expensive.

BNEAT

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I have a KF Prime and a Lite 2019. They are very good for tobacco flavors, but, to be honest, a lot of my other tanks are far better with fruits and desserts flavors.
    That's interesting to me to say the least. I do one juice, period. So I have no idea what you're talking about. But That's interesting non the less

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: Izan
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread