Best MTL RTA to date

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapemate93

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2016
I tried Kayfuns in the past V3 and 5 and original 3.1 and did not like. I love the Berserker 1.5 version for MTL. I gave the kayfuns away.
Ironic I had the berserker and I really didint get on with it,used to get super hot very fast, I found that I could not get the right MTL draw with it no matter what I did, also thing would flood super easy it’s worth mentioning I had the mini version.

I am also super picky with MTL rtas to the point I honestly put air flow over flavour! The berserka did have good flavour but the galaxies even better I found.

vapemate93

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2016
As @pbusardo likes to say, what might be the 'best' MTL tank for one person, may not be the best for another. For example, he addresses this point in his kayfun Lite 2019 review:

I've also heard him say something that I agree with, and that is there are tradeoffs with these tanks. You might get gains in one area at the expenses of losses in another area. I guess my point is here that you have to find what features are important for you. That will help you narrow things down. But ultimately everyone's experience is personal.

Fortunately I've never come across a 'bad' tank. There has always been a learning curve to be sure. Sometimes I hate a tank at first, but after some effort, I figure it out and enjoy it.

As far as what I've used and what works for me personally. So far the Kayfun Lite 2019 with the XS centerpin is my favorite. I really like a tight draw and the draw on this is butter smooth and quiet. It doesn't whistle, which drives me crazy. The flavor is fantastic as well. The build is tricky and you don't have much room for fancy coils. But I think the small chamber makes for great flavor, and you don't need anything more than round wire. It's bottom fill. To be honest, I like that. It's simple, less parts to go wrong.

I just purchased the Kayfun Lite Plus 2021, I look forward to trying that.

I also have the Brunhilde MTL RTA. The build deck on that has room for a larger coil and it's easier to build on. I like that when you change the build, you can keep the tank as is. That's great for NET eliquids that gunk up coils fast. Although it can be a pain to fill through the tiny fill hole.

I just wish the Brunhilde had a 1mm insert. They go from .8mm to 1.2mm. You can adjust the airflow from the outside, but that takes fussing about and it is kind of loud when tightened from the outside. The Kayfun Lite is better in that respect, you can make infinite adjustments with airflow, then never have to set it again, and it's a smoother draw in my opinion.

The Kayfun Prime is nice. I think the top fill option is nice, and it's easier to make adjustments in airflow on the fly. But you don't get the precise control on airflow as you do in the Kayfun Lite.

I tried the Taifun GTR RTA. I like it. Great flavor and airflow options. The only thing is that you have all these things you have to turn in order to get the right juice and airflow. I have a tendancy to turn the wrong things. I have to be careful. I prefer the Brunhilde or the Kayfun Lite over the GTR RTA.

One cheap tank I really like is the SXK Doggystyle 2K16. It's very simple. It has very good flavor. The airflow can be a little tricky, it's a continuous ring. So you have to adjust it each time you put the tank back on. And it's bottom fill. I like using it when I run 4 comparison eliquids. They are so cheap that 4 won't break the bank.

I also look forward to trying the Innoken Ares 2. A @pbusardo and @Dimitris creation.

I'd be curious if anyone here has tried both the Brunhilde MTL RTA and the Taifun GX. They both have a similar concept, although the Taifun GX has a more complex airflow and is way more expensive.

Great reply thanks

BIG TOZZ

Sep 13, 2017
Easily the Dvarw FL MTL for me.
However it's the only atty i think the clones don't stand up to the quality of the real thing.
I had a few clones and thought they were quite nice but my real one is on another level.

Expromizer v4 was one of the best. Shame its discontinued.

Flash-e-vapor 4.5S+ must be my other favorite. That is a truly nice vape.

By-Ka V9 has a chance to be on my top 10 list if it keeps treating me well for a while, but still easily a notch below the Dvarw FL MTL.

Awaiting my KFL 2021, hope it makes the list. Wasn't a huge fan of the KFL 2019 due to the unchangeable airflow, but KFL 2021 seems it might change that.

I really did not like the Berserker or the YDDZ T1.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
The original Vandy Vape MTL Berserkers are my all-time favorite RTAs. I definitely prefer the 24mm one...though I stashed a gracious plenty of both sizes for the longterm. For me, I love them because: 1) I get terrific flavor and very smooth vapor, 2) they don't leak, 3) they're stingy with eliquid consumption, 4) there's multiple airflow holes to choose from, 5) they have a very comfortable, true MTL drip tip, and 6) they're easy to build on.

Last edited:

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Awaiting my KFL 2021, hope it makes the list. Wasn't a huge fan of the KFL 2019 due to the unchangeable airflow, but KFL 2021 seems it might change that.

Unchangeable airflow?

The KFL-19 has two center pin options, and a grub screw to fine tune...

The KFL-21 hasn’t really changed that, except for a sealed 510 to eliminate the chance of leaking past the grub screw, like some KFL-19’s experienced.

Molchi

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2017
Germany
Easily the Dvarw FL MTL for me.

Expromizer v4 was one of the best. Shame its discontinued.

Agree, the Dvarw is amazing, even the first Version was.

For the Expromizer, the V5 is almost ready, some chinese sites like Everzon have it already listed. It now has a metalcage around it so it only has 2ml and it seems you have to buy the extension seperate. they also changed the airflow from 1 hole under the coil to 3 holes.

BIG TOZZ

Sep 13, 2017
Agree, the Dvarw is amazing, even the first Version was.

For the Expromizer, the V5 is almost ready, some chinese sites like Everzon have it already listed. It now has a metalcage around it so it only has 2ml and it seems you have to buy the extension seperate. they also changed the airflow from 1 hole under the coil to 3 holes.
That's very interesting. I may check it out, but so far the by-ka v9 seems like a more versatile version of that style design. I have been liking mine a lot thus far.

BIG TOZZ

Sep 13, 2017
Unchangeable airflow?

The KFL-19 has two center pin options, and a grub screw to fine tune...

The KFL-21 hasn’t really changed that, except for a sealed 510 to eliminate the chance of leaking past the grub screw, like some KFL-19’s experienced.
I thought that the 19 had two options for center pins and the grub screw whereas the 21 has a fully variable / more precise screw.
Maybe that's not true?
I don't have one in my hands yet. I may have misunderstood the reviews I watched.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Anyone who says a Kayfun isn't the best MTL RTA hasn't tried a Kayfun...period
So true. IMO most who couldn't get on with a Kayfun likely couldn't get the wicking down correctly. If I were stuck on a deserted island you can bet your bottom dollar I would have a Kayfun with me.

For pure flavor, and with ANY kind of juice (DIY), Kayfun's stand alone.

Been vaping Kayfun's since KFL 2013. Currently it's been KFL19's and Prime's.

I will add the following as they all Rock with MTL (or RDL/DL)...

SQuape Arise
Dvarw MTL and DL (I MTL on DL RBA's, big air ;))
Atmizoo Tripod
Crafter's Den Pocket v2 RTA
Hussar Project X
AniM0dz B-*-stard

Last edited:

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
For me, it comes down to ease of use, maintenance, and acceptable air flow as, flavour wise, I find they're all pretty much the same. Unpopular opinion, I know, but...as I've said in the past...it's wire and cotton in a tank. They all work pretty much the same, and I ain't changin' my mind. ;)

That said, been using the SXK Doggystyle 2k16 for years and I'll only change if I can't get them anymore...which now seems to be the case as Fasttech no longer has them. I have 4 and only use 1 on a daily basis, so I should be good for a while: these things just keep going....

Reactions: Kusie

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
For me, it comes down to ease of use, maintenance, and acceptable air flow as, flavour wise, I find they're all pretty much the same. Unpopular opinion, I know, but...as I've said in the past...it's wire and cotton in a tank. They all work pretty much the same, and I ain't changin' my mind. ;)
As far as the flavor thing goes I wish I could say I agree with you, I'd have dozens of tanks that would still be in service if I did.:facepalm:

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
As far as the flavor thing goes I wish I could say I agree with you, I'd have dozens of tanks that would still be in service if I did.:facepalm:

Heh. Yeah, few share my opinion. I've used a lot of tanks and, in the end, they are just more of the same. That's the main reason I'm rarely on any vape sites (including this one) any longer. There's nothing "new" for me. Vaping has long since stopped being a "hobby" for me and, instead, just a tool I use to get through the day like the same brand of cigarettes I smoked for 30ish years. The Mods all do the same thing, the tanks all do the same thing....it's the companies just throwing stuff out there and claiming it's a quantum leap forward.

But, hey, that's just me. Not here to preach or prove I'm right. We all like what we like and will do what we do. ;)

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
I thought that the 19 had two options for center pins and the grub screw whereas the 21 has a fully variable / more precise screw.
Maybe that's not true?
I don't have one in my hands yet. I may have misunderstood the reviews I watched.

Yep. That’s what I said! KFL19 has two different center pin options, and a grub screw to fine tune.

The KFL21 has one center pin, and two different airflow pins to fine tune.

One of those pins is the standard pin, and the other is the “MTL PRO” pin.

Are either of the KFL21 pins “fully variable”...?
I wouldn’t say so. They pretty much match the airflow options on the KFL19.

In fact, using my KFL19 and my KFL21 side by side, I can say the airflow feels different, but not better on one or the other.

Regardless of that, I was just referring to your comment about the KFL19 having an “unchangeable airflow”...

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
No love for the doggy any more? I tried a lot, but only use the good old doggy styled RTA from SXK for now (I have 4 of them)

It's a really solid RTA. I added a different drip tip to it that makes it look pretty sweet and makes for a better vape.

Actually, I end up using this drip tip on most of my atomizers. The Taifun GTR RTA style drip tip suits me very well for MTL. It helps concentrate the vapor on the taste buds. $1.73 ST 304 Stainless Steel 510 Drip Tip for TF GTR Styled RTA - 20.4mm at FastTech - Free Shipping

MechasaurusRex

Jan 23, 2021
UK
muckrack.com
I've just returned to MTL and grabbed a selection from various stores and secondhand.

Flash-e-Vapor ticks the boxes because it is so damn ugly I love it, but it doesn't go as tight as I'd like. There might be alternative pins out there somewhere but I doubt it'll be in a country that currently ships to the UK.

Eden Mods Rose V3 kinda works if you totally close off all the airflow and ram something into the under-coil air hole.

Dvarw 16mm is really rewarding on top of my Gus mech.

The Aspire/Taifun GT has just the airflow I'm after, and the BVC coil is working well, I just wish I could lob in my own coil.

The Pioneer has the same benefits and drawbacks as the GT.

The 2021 Kayfun Lite is wonderful. I got the 24mm, but I'll be buying a 22mm next week too. Given the airflow can be controlled for every vaper I can't see how anything out there can beat it.

Now I just need to find a couple of decent MTL drippers that can squonk too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread