Best pre-made RDA coils for Flavor and Vapor output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravoroni

Jun 16, 2021
Hey Guys,

I have been learning the ropes of rda vaping, and so far I absolutely love it! As the title states I’m wondering what coils (FC, Aliens, etc) Would be best for flavor and vapor output? I’m currently running some Wotofo 0.33 Fused Claptons (~0.17 in dual coil) @ 60 Watts. The flavor and vapor is ok, But I’m looking for a little more. Maybe something I could run at a slightly higher wattage and get more vapor / flavor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
You don't say what gauge the wire is, the diameter of the coil, or the number of wraps. To increase vapor, you basically want to increase the surface area - bigger wire, more cores, larger diameter, and/or more wraps. Aliens would accomplish that. Or you could go to 3 or 4 core fused claptons. Another thing would be technique. If you are worried about vapor output, you are probably vaping direct-to-lung already. If you start drawing in before the coil heats up, vapor production will suffer. Or if you have too much airflow, the vapor output will suffer. Try restricting the air flow a little, or inhaling a bit later, or not as fast. Some people will start by exhaling through the RDA until they see vapor coming out the vent holes. That way you know when the coil is hot and it makes some extra space i your lungs! Another technique is to inhale only as fast as necessary to keep it from getting too hot, starting slow and inhaling faster as it heats up.

Flavor depends on a number of factors, including the design of the RDA. Some others will give you some input on improving flavor.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
To choose a coil depends on what atomizer u gonna use it....what wattage u want to vape how hard u inhale and how much open the airflow u like to be in the specific atomizer u use what vapor temperature u want to have and blah blah blah it's many things going on...

I mean someone may suggest u get super huge alien predator stager Jagger big coils that will supposed to have big surface area but will take long time to heat up or need to pump up the wattage so much that when it heats up it's gonna be very hot vapor and maybe won't be good for your atomizer...

What I do is usually judging by the size of atomizer and how much airflow it has I know from experience what type of coil I want to use to work as I want it to work....cause I like fast ramp up time and just a little warm vapor on a direct lung puff and good flavour....but that happens after experimenting with many coils at first and learning what I want and like for any specific atomizer I am gonna use....

So the point is that is complicated but most importantly u don't nessesary need bigger coils or more wattage to get better flavour u can get good flavour with single coil or even tiny mouth to lung coils if they are in the proper atomizer and build well...

U could try close the airflow and get more flavour as it is now in case u use it full open....but if u don't want to restrict the airflow and like it more airy u could try increase wattage if the vapor don't get very hot....

It would be good to tell us what rda u use and the specs of the wire u use...and at what airflow u like to vape it like full open or half way open...

That way maybe someone has the same atomizer or similar and can suggest a type of coil to use or what to do...

Also some pictures of the rda wicked and coiled will be good cause sometimes by placing the coils differently u get much better flavour and we may spot something that needs improvement...
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Bravoroni

Jun 16, 2021
Hey thanks for the reply’s guys! So here is some more info:

I’m using a dead rabbit v2 and an Asgard mini 25mm RDA’s.

The coils I’m using are wotofo 28 + 38 x 9 + 28 + 36 (N80) 3mm framed staple claptons @~0.33 ohms

I’m running them in dual coils so I’m getting 0.17ohms on my mod and the ohm reader.

I used my coily coil trimmer and measured them at 5.5 and clipped them there. They seem to be standing right near the airflow vents.

For airflow I’m using the honey comb on the dead rabbit, and full open airflow on the Asgard mini.

For both I’m using 60 watts (not sure if this is the optimal wattage?)

The mod I’m using is a Lost Vape Thelema DNA 250c.

For cotton I’m using Cotton Bacon Prime.

Thanks for all the tips!

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Hey thanks for the reply’s guys! So here is some more info:

I’m using a dead rabbit v2 and an Asgard mini 25mm RDA’s.

The coils I’m using are wotofo 28 + 38 x 9 + 28 + 36 (N80) 3mm framed staple claptons @~0.33 ohms

I’m running them in dual coils so I’m getting 0.17ohms on my mod and the ohm reader.

I used my coily coil trimmer and measured them at 5.5 and clipped them there. They seem to be standing right near the airflow vents.

For airflow I’m using the honey comb on the dead rabbit, and full open airflow on the Asgard mini.

For both I’m using 60 watts (not sure if this is the optimal wattage?)

The mod I’m using is a Lost Vape Thelema DNA 250c.

For cotton I’m using Cotton Bacon Prime.

Thanks for all the tips!

Ok so I am gonna guess those coils are 5 wraps each premade coils...

What wattage to run those really it's subjective but in my opinion those coils need defenetly more than 60watts....especially considering u use full open airflows so I think I would use them from 70-80watts for sure....that don't mean it can't go even higher....I mean I would probably use at that range ..u can use them up to 120watts or more maybe hahahaha but I don't recommend just saying there is big range u can vape the rebuildables setups...
The range u can use those coils is really very wide depending the size of the atomizer and the airflow but I think 60watts is the bottom u can go with those so that's why u don't get much flavour...

If u increase wattage and u start getting spitback juice in mouth that will mean the cotton is not tight enough through the coil....just saying that happens..

Also a thing I do with all atomizers and improves flavour is that....I try positioning the coils closer to the airflow holes IF they are far....for example on the dead rabbit I would bend the coils a little away from each other in order to be closer to the airflow holes but ofc not that close to touch or anything like that...but that details and it's not something u should worry about atm just saying ....

And ofc everything I say it's just my opinion and u may see other people suggest something else or maybe for you something else works better...

:toast::vapor:

Bravoroni

Jun 16, 2021
Ok so I am gonna guess those coils are 5 wraps each premade coils...

What wattage to run those really it's subjective but in my opinion those coils need defenetly more than 60watts....especially considering u use full open airflows so I think I would use them from 70-80watts for sure....that don't mean it can't go even higher....I mean I would probably use at that range ..u can use them up to 120watts or more maybe hahahaha but I don't recommend just saying there is big range u can vape the rebuildables setups...
The range u can use those coils is really very wide depending the size of the atomizer and the airflow but I think 60watts is the bottom u can go with those so that's why u don't get much flavour...

If u increase wattage and u start getting spitback juice in mouth that will mean the cotton is not tight enough through the coil....just saying that happens..

Also a thing I do with all atomizers and improves flavour is that....I try positioning the coils closer to the airflow holes IF they are far....for example on the dead rabbit I would bend the coils a little away from each other in order to be closer to the airflow holes but ofc not that close to touch or anything like that...but that details and it's not something u should worry about atm just saying ....

And ofc everything I say it's just my opinion and u may see other people suggest something else or maybe for you something else works better...

:toast::vapor:
Thanks so much for your reply! I will try upping the wattage a bit and check my coil position.

I really appreciate the help!

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
I'm using a DR v2 RDA as well. Right now it has SS quad core claptons 30x4/40 3.5 dia, 7/6 wraps.

At 45 watts, it takes a couple seconds to ramp up, with the air ports full open, drawing medium fast, it stays warm the whole time, produces a fairly dense, but not a large cloud, and flavor is good.

At 55 watts it ramps up reasonably fast, and with the air ports full open, drawing slow to fast, it produces a fairly dense cloud and flavor is ok.

At 65 watts it ramps up faster and produces a respectable cloud and is not too hot at the end. Flavor is diminished.

At 75 watts, more of the same.

At 85 watts, even more, but too hot at the end of the draw. Flavor is weak.

Right now the top cap is stuck and I can't adjust the air flow. The parts on this RDA tend to get stuck a lot. I removed one of the o-rings between the body and the base, and that helps to get it open.

Another thing to check is to make sure that the cotton stays saturated. If the cotton starts getting dry, everything diminishes. These go through a lot of juice and you have to keep feeding it.

Bravoroni

Jun 16, 2021
I'm using a DR v2 RDA as well. Right now it has SS quad core claptons 30x4/40 3.5 dia, 7/6 wraps.

At 45 watts, it takes a couple seconds to ramp up, with the air ports full open, drawing medium fast, it stays warm the whole time, produces a fairly dense, but not a large cloud, and flavor is good.

At 55 watts it ramps up reasonably fast, and with the air ports full open, drawing slow to fast, it produces a fairly dense cloud and flavor is ok.

At 65 watts it ramps up faster and produces a respectable cloud and is not too hot at the end. Flavor is diminished.

At 75 watts, more of the same.

At 85 watts, even more, but too hot at the end of the draw. Flavor is weak.

Right now the top cap is stuck and I can't adjust the air flow. The parts on this RDA tend to get stuck a lot. I removed one of the o-rings between the body and the base, and that helps to get it open.

Another thing to check is to make sure that the cotton stays saturated. If the cotton starts getting dry, everything diminishes. These go through a lot of juice and you have to keep feeding it.
Thanks for the info. I’ve been getting the best results at roughly 65watts. Under that it’s too weak, and when I go over 70 it’s too hot and the flavor diminishes.

appreciate the reply!

Can anyone recommend a specific coil maker or brand and type that would work well in the Asgard mini or dead rabbit V2 for good clouds and flavor? I typically like to be around 0.15-0.20 ohms (with dual coil). I would be willing to try something a bit lower too! I’ve heard good things about aliens? How do they compare to framed staple claptons? Also what diameter / size would be ideal for the Asgard mini or DRv2?

Thanks again guys!

Bravoroni

Jun 16, 2021
Don't think about the resistance cause it matters only for mechanical mods...

Have u tried the coils included with the dead rabbit when u bought it?
I actually got my dead rabbit from a friend. And I didn’t get any coils with it. So the only ones I have tried are the wotofo stapled claptons mentioned above.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
There are so many options and many people use very exotic coils and they swear about them being good...

I would suggest u get a spool fused clapton wire cause that way u make the wraps on your own and adjust to you liking....for example u may do 5wrap coils and find them weak then u just try 6wraps next time or 7 or anything u want...also different u can try 2.5id or 3id inner diameter or 3.5mm
It's also cheaper to get a spool of wire and have it for long time...

I would suggest something like fused clapton 3*28/38 or 40 or better an alien clapton 3*28/38 or 40 or anything similar would be good also like 4*28/38 or 40
Those are nice coils and not anything crazy

In case u don't know those numbers
3*28/38 means three wires 28 thickness that are wraped around with a 38wire

Anyways truth is that u must try to find what u like cause u will see people say this is the best and that is the best and everybody likes something else :D

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
It's true that most rta and rdas of that kind include in the box something like 3*28/40 fused claptons it's kinda like a nice basic coil....
I think some very exotic coils end up have so much metal that doesn't make good contact with the cotton and end up just heating the atomizer and not produce flavour...that's why for me I always go with fused claptons or aliens and nothing more fancy and I just increase internal diameter or wraps depending the atomizer and what wattage I want to run them...

Long time now I use 3*28/38 fused and aliens at 6wraps each coil at 70watts..

But really I think you should try many different coils ...lol gonna spend some money I guess and in the end u gonna probably rest into some type and vape just that :p

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
@Bravoroni, your best bet is to try a bunch of different coil types and see which one(s) you prefer most.

What I or anyone else prefers you may not.

As with all vaping gear, there is no best wire type for all. It's whatever works best for you, or anyone else, that is the best. Truth. Fact.

I buy spools of all different types of wire and make my own coils. That works best for me.

As to flavor... Try raising and lowering your coil in your RDA. By doing so you will find its sweet spot. In most of my RDA's I prefer the airflow hitting the bottom 1/3rd of my coil. If you use cotton try different types. Not all cotton is created equally. Some is complete crap while others stand above the rest. Alternatively, go with rayon. With rayon the flavor is awesome, wicks last longer and it can handle higher wattage easily. I use and switch off between both in my RBA's.

Experiment, have fun doing so, and you will find what works best for you.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Don't know .... I still wrap my own.
    Last time I bought wick, I got 3mm Ekowool.
    Before I was wrapping around 4 strands of .8mm silica.

Oh, and I HATE "burned" cotton!!!!!!

P1000882.JPG

• Winner
    Reactions: Superuser187
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread