Best Single 18650 box Mod for MTL / Eleaf pico 75w alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapemate93

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2016
Hi, im looking for suggestions for a new single 18650 mod having used the old style pico 75w's for the last three years. I would also like advice on the new pico x as ive not used one but not sure if I'm done with picos (read more ).

As much as i have enjoyed using the pico mods mainly for size and style , my third old style pico has decided to stop working yet again and is looking pretty beat up despite being looked after and had it for aboit 9 months. Unfortunately its following the same deaths as my prior pico 75s with the famous battery connection/ turning on/off faults.

although i really like the picos size and style and sturdy tough build, i am now getting sick of the picos battery faults and the top cap that tends to tare my battery wraps due to having to have the cap so tight so it wont constantly turn off. Ideally would love something similar from a different company.

I am looking for suggestions for well built single 18650 box mods, ( i mtl vape 90% of the but occasionally like a restricted hit, so something with a similar power to the picos 75w will be ideal.

Also if you have the newer pico X id like to hear your thoughts but unfortunately ive heard that the newer pico x's are even worse in terms of faults and quality to the regular pico?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
As much as i have enjoyed using the pico mods mainly for size and style , my third old style pico has decided to stop working yet again and is looking pretty beat up despite being looked after and had it for aboit 9 months. Unfortunately its following the same deaths as my prior pico 75s with the famous battery connection/ turning on/off faults.

I have nothing to offer in Pico 75 alternatives, I just wanted to toss one thought at you from an avid Pico fan :)

When my Pico's start to have battery connection issues, I clean the cap threads. I swab with alcohol and then chase the cap threads with my thumbnail on some paper towel. Then I do the same as best I can without the thumbnail involved on the mod threads. That fixes it for me for another month or so of every day use. I do not ever fully tighten the cap on mine, unscrewing them a little when they hit bottom so all that is compressing the battery is the spring.

It will be interesting to hear what folks have to offer on alternative mods for the Pico. I'm pretty happy with my gaggle of Pico's but a little variety can be a good thing :thumb:

daillewe

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Cardiff, South Wales, UK
Never used a pico and the only single 18650 not I've ever owned is the wismec sinuous v80. Wouldnt be a bad little mod if it werent almost entirely plastic, though it is incredibly lightweight! Only other thing I've had close to a single cell mod is the innokin coolfire iv which is an internal battery mod

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
If you don't care about TC, you might be able to find a Kangertech Juppi still in inventory somewhere...I got the kit for $17 a couple of months ago. It's sort of a side-by-side type of mod that handles up to 22mm tanks. It does TC, but not very well. Works great in Wattage mode and my KF2019 Lite clone with 4ml extension fits great on it.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Hi, im looking for suggestions for a new single 18650 mod having used the old style pico 75w's for the last three years. I would also like advice on the new pico x as ive not used one but not sure if I'm done with picos (read more ).

although i really like the picos size and style and sturdy tough build, i am now getting sick of the picos battery faults and the top cap that tends to tare my battery wraps due to having to have the cap so tight so it wont constantly turn off. Ideally would love something similar from a different company.

I am looking for suggestions for well built single 18650 box mods, ( i mtl vape 90% of the but occasionally like a restricted hit, so something with a similar power to the picos 75w will be ideal.

Also if you have the newer pico X id like to hear your thoughts but unfortunately ive heard that the newer pico x's are even worse in terms of faults and quality to the regular pico?
There is a user here, @Cool_Breeze I believe, who repairs them.
Much info here Eleaf iStick "pico"
FT sells a replacement board IF your board failed.

As @Ryedan posted cleaning them properly often cures most problems like you described. I clean mine frequently and it works fine. My original Pico 75 from when they were released is still going strong and it has seen much abuse (not on purpose). I have several in stash.

See the asMODus Colossal for a well built single 18650 mod. Many people have them here and really like them. I have three and they are a very solidly built mod. It's one of my favorite single 18650 mods. VaporRange sells them and asMODus sells direct.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Cleaning them has also worked for me, and I like the fact that there's no spring in there to get all mushy. Tough mods to beat for the money.

In that category, I have a slight preference for the Vaporesso SWAG, but (a) I don't know if they're even still around, and (b) TC vapers should avoid them completely. The menu is a bit funky but once you get it down, it's easy to lock in and never worry about again.

This is all personal preference though, which makes it of potentially little value.

Ultimately, there are a lot of really nice mods out there though, so I can't imagine you'd have difficulty finding something you really like. My favorite place to window shop has always been 3F Vape, as they seem to always have a lot of stuff I don't always see on other sites. Great for the idea-gathering stage, in my opinion.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Another vote for Colossal. Aegis solo if you’re hard in mods. But for mods that aren’t going to be dropped in water or exposed to a lot of dust and dirt, Colossal all the way. Great battery life, TC, easy menu, comes in loads of colors.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
There are a few folks who have the Pico X here and are very happy with it.
I don't know if you used Arctic Fox on any of your Pico's but AF brings the Pico into the modern age as far as TC goes. Some claim on par with DNA mods TC. I have AF on all my Pico's and have some DNA mods and I cannot tell the difference when running TC.

If you are going to continue with the Pico's it's worth noting the Pico X will not work with AF. The Pico 21700 does work with AF.

Throwing that out there...

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Two of the weak points about the Pico are a) the displays becomming faint and b) the micro USB port getting flakey. I tripped into a deal recently and bought 3 Pico 75's for ~$22 each, domestically and they shipped (Priority!) free. I don't think free priority was a standard deal. I'm good to go with Pico's for a while.

PS The replacement boards don't have all the standard Pico features. They do have good displays.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Two of the weak points about the Pico are a) the displays becomming faint and b) the micro USB port getting flakey. I tripped into a deal recently and bought 3 Pico 75's for ~$22 each, domestically and they shipped (Priority!) free. I don't think free priority was a standard deal. I'm good to go with Pico's for a while.

PS The replacement boards don't have all the standard Pico features. They do have good displays.
Thanks.
Do you know if the replacement boards work with Arctic Fox?

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Thanks.
Do you know if the replacement boards work with Arctic Fox?

The firmware of the replacement boards is NOT UPGRADABLE...even with Pico firmware...unless recent changes have been made in their production. They are not 'original Pico,' rather clones.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
The firmware of the replacement boards is NOT UPGRADABLE...even with Pico firmware...unless recent changes have been made in their production. They are not 'original Pico,' rather clones.
Thanks. I'm going to grab a few boards for stash/future.
IMO the Pico is one of the most underrated mods out there.
The last ones I bought were from Direct Vapor (domestic) during a sale @ $23 a pop.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I'm also a pico 75w fanatic. Absolutely love them. The only mod that I like better than the Pico 75w is the Asmodus Colossal 80w. (Discount code JULYTHE4TH gets 20% off)

It has the same curved hand feel of the pico - it's a bit skinnier and taller than the pico, but it makes up for that with how it vapes. It fires almost instantly, faster than the pico. It also vapes better. Also has much better battery life.

It works flawlessly in TCR mode.

I spent a year trying out mods, trying to find something better than a pico - the Colossal won.

dogandmini1.jpg

Horselady154

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 15, 2013
    United States
    I'm also a pico 75w fanatic. Absolutely love them. The only mod that I like better than the Pico 75w is the Asmodus Colossal 80w. (Discount code JULYTHE4TH gets 20% off)

It has the same curved hand feel of the pico - it's a bit skinnier and taller than the pico, but it makes up for that with how it vapes. It fires almost instantly, faster than the pico. It also vapes better. Also has much better battery life.

It works flawlessly in TCR mode.

I spent a year trying out mods, trying to find something better than a pico - the Colossal won.

View attachment 829719
    Thanks Ange! I've been meaning to get one of those. Finally pulled the trigger, thanks to you. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread