• Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Cleaning up

Nick N

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
Best squonkers for under $100? That's easy....but it'll take a little effort on your part.
View attachment 746459
Google 'Little Orca enclosures'. That will take you to Ecwid...they have the boxes, doors and buttons. 18650 or 20700, 21700 whatever you want. Even dna ready enclosures. They're milled delrin and run less than $50. Then get a few modmaker bf 510s . Broscience usually has those for a USA option. $6 or so for the 510. Amazon for a sheet of #10 beryllium copper. And use whatever bottles you want....I like the ft 10 pack for $6. All in, you're well under $100 and you have a mod that'll outlive you. 510 problem? Throw in a new one. Contact problems? Cut and bend a new set... It's very easy and performance wise, it's spectacular.
Hmm.. wonder if I could swap my DNA75 out of this Hcigar VT75 I have laying around collecting dust... I've been wanting a 21700 squonker.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
Sounds plebian, but I'm liking the lightly regulated Wismec Luxotic. Bought it as a kit and threw away that God awful Tobhino atty that came with it. Replaced the RDA with the Oumier Wasp Nano. Threw in one of the silicone bottles that DIDN'T come with it, and it's an excellent vape.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
The Dovpo Topside might be worth a look. I'm not in the market for any more single cell squonk mods but if I were chip efficiency and battery life would be at the top of the list of requirements. Need to wait for some real life reviews (not YT infomercials) to see how it holds up on that front.

I also have the Pulse 80, great mod, not so good on battery life, but it does tick many of my other boxes on the design front.

For me, DNA chips are not really about chip snobbishness, nor just for TC, for me they out perform everything else and are worth the premium. YMMV.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The Dovpo Topside might be worth a look. I'm not in the market for any more single cell squonk mods but if I were chip efficiency and battery life would be at the top of the list of requirements. Need to wait for some real life reviews (not YT infomercials) to see how it holds up on that front.

I also have the Pulse 80, great mod, not so good on battery life, but it does tick many of my other boxes on the design front.

For me, DNA chips are not really about chip snobbishness, nor just for TC, for me they out perform everything else and are worth the premium. YMMV.
I did finally get my hands on a therion and found out why it didn’t sell that well. It’s got a few annoying design oddities. I agree about the dna chip though there is one bit you forgot: replay. Replay makes TC functional for me. I gave up on TC a while back because of anemic results but replay fixes that. It’s so good in fact that I put up with the bizarre layout of the therion because of it. I understand that hcigar has a dna75C squonker out. As the therion is now ungettable I would say this is the current single battery squonk TC leader atm purely because of replay.

diagrammatiks

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2018
I did finally get my hands on a therion and found out why it didn’t sell that well. It’s got a few annoying design oddities. I agree about the dna chip though there is one bit you forgot: replay. Replay makes TC functional for me. I gave up on TC a while back because of anemic results but replay fixes that. It’s so good in fact that I put up with the bizarre layout of the therion because of it. I understand that hcigar has a dna75C squonker out. As the therion is now ungettable I would say this is the current single battery squonk TC leader atm purely because of replay.

The therion sold incredibly well. They sold every one that they made.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The therion sold incredibly well. They sold every one that they made.
Yet they stopped making them. This implies there was something wrong.

Owning one as I now do I have some ideas about what that might be:
-nearly impossible to remove battery
-weird plastic removable spacer between the battery and bottle
-tendency for the bottle hose to be cut by its own fittings
- fairly short battery life

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I chose a DNA 75c for its power accuracy, reliability, and ability to customize the screen layout to my personal preference. I got it before replay came out, but after replay was released it changed nothing for me. I have not even tried replay since I don't use, because I don't like, any TC compatible wire. But I still enjoy my dna mod more than the rest of the regulated squonkers I have used so far, regardless of its TC/Replay abilities. So there are a few solid reasons to choose a DNA chip over proprietary chips from other manufacturers.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles

I didn't forget it as such, I was merely making the point that I was once of the view that DNA chips were only VFM if you wanted TC, a belief to which I no longer subscribe (albeit it seems a common view), they have many more benefits though I wasn't attempting to list them in the context of that post.

I'm not sure they stopped making the Therion because something was wrong, more like these mods have a limited lifecycle (and correspondingly short production cycle) before they need to move onto to something newer to keep up with the competition and improve design, form factor, use and functionality.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

diagrammatiks

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2018
Yet they stopped making them. This implies there was something wrong.

Owning one as I now do I have some ideas about what that might be:
-nearly impossible to remove battery
-weird plastic removable spacer between the battery and bottle
-tendency for the bottle hose to be cut by its own fittings
- fairly short battery life

That’s not really how lost vape works. They’ll make a set amount for a run and then they never make any more.

I change my battery out everyday for charging. Once you get the hang of it it’s not bad. Just more annoying then simpler systems.

The battery life issue is more due to the dna75c being straight trash at efficiency compared to the 250c

Rathamar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Mound - Minnesota, USA
Well if you want a mech - the Original Pulse - I believe you can find the around $50
For a mod with a board either the Pulse 80w (or the new 90w once it is released in a few weeks) or a VT Inbox (DNA 75 Board)

These are the only mods under $100 that are in my current rotation. I have multiple VT Inboxes and original pulses and I liked the 80w enough to be picking up a 90W once they are out

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
The original Pulse mech is available for 18$ at FT, but it's just a pile of crap.
The huge voltagedrop, nearly proprietary bottles due to the miniscule diameter of the silicone tubing, a stupid locking mechanism and the mushy firebutton are its only outstanding attributes. And the fact that it's a fine example of what can be done wrong on engineering a mech squonker. There are even cheaper boxes that perform a lot better.

The Desire Cut might be worth a look if you're not into TC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread