Best sub ohm tank for mech

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobthesalesclerk

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm looking for a good sub ohm for a mech mod but am kind of nit picky. I just got back into vaping and this is all new to me. I am however very familiar with vaping and as someone who used to regularly stack batteries for 6 volts on mech mods knows the risks involved.

I am using a nemesis clone with a kanger sub tank on it currently. It's alright. Good vapor/flavor but it is a friends that I'm borrowing and wouldn't purchase one myself.

I am looking for a tank with replaceable coils between .5-.8ohm coils. I am not interested in RTAs. I hate building and it's what made me quit vaping last time. I also vape high VG(80% or over)juice. That's the one good point about vaping now. Technology has seemed to advanced to allow for proper wicking of high VG juice. My Clieto 120(I do not use this on my nemesis) wicks great and is awesome but absolutely destroys juice. I would like something that is more a flavor producer than a juice guzzler.

I was looking into the Arctic V8 mini with .5ohm coils but if anyone has any other suggestions I should look into let me know. I would rather be in the .6-.8 range but will go as low as .5.

Thank you.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Building coils doesn't have to be some laborious tasks. As Ninja said, coils come pre built and something like a 2 post velocity styled deck could easily be built in under 5 minutes with these. Then, just switch the wick out going forward and save yourself a fortune.

On a separate note, I personally wouldn't use any disposable coil heads on a mech mod.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I had an RTA for 3 months and hated it. I will probably try again in the future but for now I I don't want a rebuildable.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
What did you hate about it? There are a multitude of different RTAs on the market and if you can tell us what exactly you are looking for in a tank we can give suggestions. In my experience there are no prebuilt coils/clearomizers that can compete with a good RTA.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: MMW and Ben85

bobthesalesclerk

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
What did you hate about it? There are a multitude of different RTAs on the market and if you can tell us what exactly you are looking for in a tank we can give suggestions. In my experience there are no prebuilt coils/clearomizers that can compete with a good RTA.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but this isn't helping. I've tried rebuildables and hated them. I might be willing to try one again in the future but because I just started vaping again I don't want to get frustrated.

I want something as simple as humanly possible.

When I first started vaping I wanted something that looked and acted like a cigarette. I didn't want buttons and I didn't want to think about it. That was fine for two months until I switched to something better

Same case here. If I would have started with something with a button that I had to refill and mess with I might have just quit. I might got with a rebuildable down the line but for now I just want suggestions on a good sub ohm tank between .5-.8 ohms that wicks VG well. That's it.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I don't mean to sound like a jerk but this isn't helping. I've tried rebuildables and hated them. I might be willing to try one again in the future but because I just started vaping again I don't want to get frustrated.

I want something as simple as humanly possible.

When I first started vaping I wanted something that looked and acted like a cigarette. I didn't want buttons and I didn't want to think about it. That was fine for two months until I switched to something better

Same case here. If I would have started with something with a button that I had to refill and mess with I might have just quit. I might got with a rebuildable down the line but for now I just want suggestions on a good sub ohm tank between .5-.8 ohms that wicks VG well. That's it.

Well, if you're going with prebuilt coil heads you should get a regulated device, or at least something with safeties. Mechs and coil heads aren't the best combo. As you didn't specify what you hated about RTAs, and which ones you'd used, I was thinking there might be some RTA that suited you better.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Most experienced vapers understand the risks and problems associated with using the cheap mass produced coil heads, with soft rubber insulators that tear,(and often arrive DOA in the pack) on a mechanical mod. Thats why we dont have the answers you want to hear.
You would really be safer with a regulated device.
Mechanicals are for advanced users who are willing to take the time and learn to use them safely. They arent for everyone or every topper.

We arent being jerks.
We can show you how to use one safely if you like. We just want you to be safe.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I'm looking for a good sub ohm for a mech mod but am kind of nit picky. I just got back into vaping and this is all new to me. I am however very familiar with vaping and as someone who used to regularly stack batteries for 6 volts on mech mods knows the risks involved.

I am using a nemesis clone with a kanger sub tank on it currently. It's alright. Good vapor/flavor but it is a friends that I'm borrowing and wouldn't purchase one myself.

I am looking for a tank with replaceable coils between .5-.8ohm coils. I am not interested in RTAs. I hate building and it's what made me quit vaping last time. I also vape high VG(80% or over)juice. That's the one good point about vaping now. Technology has seemed to advanced to allow for proper wicking of high VG juice. My Clieto 120(I do not use this on my nemesis) wicks great and is awesome but absolutely destroys juice. I would like something that is more a flavor producer than a juice guzzler.

I was looking into the Arctic V8 mini with .5ohm coils but if anyone has any other suggestions I should look into let me know. I would rather be in the .6-.8 range but will go as low as .5.

Thank you.

If vaping sub ohm you are going to go through a lot of juice thats just a part of it . Many go lower wattage for better flavor and that will also save a lot on juice .

Reactions: Ben85

bobthesalesclerk

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
If vaping sub ohm you are going to go through a lot of juice thats just a part of it . Many go lower wattage for better flavor and that will also save a lot on juice .

Honestly I would take suggestions for any good tank overall for high VG on a mech. It doesn't have to be sub ohm.

Reactions: herb

bobthesalesclerk

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
Most experienced vapers understand the risks and problems associated with using the cheap mass produced coil heads, with soft rubber insulators that tear,(and often arrive DOA in the pack) on a mechanical mod. Thats why we dont have the answers you want to hear.
You would really be safer with a regulated device.
Mechanicals are for advanced users who are willing to take the time and learn to use them safely. They arent for everyone or every topper.

We arent being jerks.
We can show you how to use one safely if you like. We just want you to be safe.
I bought my first mech mod in 2009 back when people were stacking batteries for 6 volts. I am aware of the dangers. Trust me.

I am just looking for a good tank with .5-.8 ohm coils that wicks VG well and preferably top fills.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
If I HAD to use a tank with prebuilt coils on a mech, it would be a Subtank Mini (or Toptank as you want topfill).

Great 0.5 ohm coils and obviously a solid and wildly popular series of tanks.

Make sure you get one with a base where the positive pin sticks out enough though as they vary wildly IME.

Good luck!

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I bought my first mech mod in 2009 back when people were stacking batteries for 6 volts. I am aware of the dangers. Trust me.

I am just looking for a good tank with .5-.8 ohm coils that wicks VG well and preferably top fills.

Ahhh so you know exactly why we arent recommending this, and why we really dont have the answers you were looking for.

bobthesalesclerk

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
If I HAD to use a tank with prebuilt coils on a mech, it would be a Subtank Mini (or Toptank as you want topfill).

Great 0.5 ohm coils and obviously a solid and wildly popular series of tanks.

Make sure you get one with a base where the positive pin sticks out enough though as they vary wildly IME.

Good luck!
Kanger makes a tank like the subtank that is topfill?

Hmmmmm. Kinda sold. I like the subtank but the bottom fill is kind of messy.

bobthesalesclerk

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
Ahhh so you know exactly why we arent recommending this, and why we really dont have the answers you were looking for.
That's why I want something that isn't .2 ohms. I am looking for something sub ohm but not much. .5 is the lowest I would go with a mech but would rather stay in the .6-.8 range.

I'm not going to throw a trustfire 18650 into a mech mod with a .2 ohm coil on top. If you have another recommendation for me that isn't an RTA I would love to here it.

Also reasons I hate RTA(this was after trying two and I do not remember what they were)

1. Tiny parts. I lose stuff very easily.
2. I don't have steady hands. It's hard for to build on something that small.
3. I always have wicking issues.
4. They are messy

I could keep going. I'm sure technology has come further but I'm not into the idea of a rebuildable right now. I will probably try one again in the future but for now I only have 2 tanks(and one is a loaner). I'm not putting my clieto 120 on a mech mod and would like something higher ohms that I don't need to build.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Kanger makes a tank like the subtank that is topfill?

Hmmmmm. Kinda sold. I like the subtank but the bottom fill is kind of messy.

Yes, they do and if you go to "Eightvapes" website you can pick up a Toptank Mini for $9.99 right now . I posted about that offer a week or two ago but won't do it again since people started giving me .... about it & questioning me .

Just checked , the Top tank mini is back to full price so that deal is over but $19.99 is still the cheapest you will find.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
That's why I want something that isn't .2 ohms. I am looking for something sub ohm but not much. .5 is the lowest I would go with a mech but would rather stay in the .6-.8 range.

I'm not going to throw a trustfire 18650 into a mech mod with a .2 ohm coil on top. If you have another recommendation for me that isn't an RTA I would love to here it.

Also reasons I hate RTA(this was after trying two and I do not remember what they were)

1. Tiny parts. I lose stuff very easily.
2. I don't have steady hands. It's hard for to build on something that small.
3. I always have wicking issues.
4. They are messy

I could keep going. I'm sure technology has come further but I'm not into the idea of a rebuildable right now. I will probably try one again in the future but for now I only have 2 tanks(and one is a loaner). I'm not putting my clieto 120 on a mech mod and would like something higher ohms that I don't need to build.

But why are you insisting on a mech? Prebuilt coils on a mech are simply not a good idea. The insulation between the positive and negative leads is thin and could break easily, and you really don't want to have a short on a mech.

bobthesalesclerk

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
But why are you insisting on a mech? Prebuilt coils on a mech are simply not a good idea. The insulation between the positive and negative leads is thin and could break easily, and you really don't want to have a short on a mech.

And if I use an RTA I could not screw my lock ring down tight enough and my batteries could vent in my pocket, my coils could still short the battery, I could have a faulty charger and my battery could overcharge...

Tons of problems can happen that would cause a catastrophic failure in a battery you are using in a mech mod.

I guess I could give it a try again. Recommend me some RTAs that are easy to build on and wick high/max VG juices well and I'll look into it. My plan was to get back into this and make sure I stick with it before I tried rebuildables again.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Yes, they do and if you go to "Eightvapes" website you can pick up a Toptank Mini for $9.99 right now . I posted about that offer a week or two ago but won't do it again since people started giving me .... about it & questioning me .

Just checked , the Top tank mini is back to full price so that deal is over but $19.99 is still the cheapest you will find.
Herb, These are identical to a STM except for the top, correct? Same base and glass?

Reactions: herb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread