Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
For those looking into a pleasingly smooth Turkish vape, give C&D orion’s Arrow a try. Here’s the rundown:

Perique
Turkish
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

orion's Arrow takes a different approach to the ordinary Virginia/Perique blend. Firstly, the blend contains about 25% of the Cajun delight. Then red and bright Virginias are added, but what really set it apart is the addition of exotic Turkish tobaccos, resulting is a sweet, spicy and earthy blend.

It has been proven to be a tried and true ADV for me so far. When I want a little bump of something different, the addition of some straight Latakia into the mix proves to be just the thing. ;)

beachbumcm

May 11, 2015
Just thought I'd post here -- I am a complete noob to making NETs. I have vaped many many many vendor's NETs though, but this will be the first I'm making on my own. Str8vision kind of motivated me into trying it myself.

I'm going to try a basic method. I ordered two 1/4 lb samples of tobacco from leafonly ... one was virginia (R) and the other non-fire-cured, regular burley. I ran out of PG using it for DIY so I ordered some PG as well.

I plan to just chop up the tobacco, put it into mason jar (one each for virg and burley) and then just cover the chopped leaves in PG. Everyday I will shake up the mix. I will put it into some place, I dont know, a closet maybe? And leave for maybe 6-8 weeks.

I then plan to filter using a combination of maybe a french press, and then a coffee filter (unbleached), or something like that.

Any thoughts on this? Dont worry about hurting my feelings, just give me any input. I am a RBA user/rebuilder and I care more about flavor than gunking up coils (if they will last at least half a day I'm happy).

The only thing already purchased in the two 1/4 lb samples from leafonly and the PG. The rest is just a plan.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
.......I ordered two 1/4 lb samples of tobacco from leafonly ... one was virginia (R) and the other non-fire-cured, regular burley.....

I can't comment on these specific tobacco varietals, haven't extracted them. I tend to avoid loose leaf tobacco varietals preferring instead tobaccos that have been professionally cured/cased/blended.

......I plan to just chop up the tobacco, put it into mason jar (one each for virg and burley) and then just cover the chopped leaves in PG.....

Just enough PG to cover the tobacco and then add about 15% more for absorption.

...... I will put it into some place, I dont know, a closet maybe? And leave for maybe 6-8 weeks.....

A 6-8 week cold soak sounds like a good plan to me, it's bulletproof. The longer it's allowed to soak the stronger the flavor will be. A closet or drawer works well, just don't forget they're there! I'd label the jars indicating the tobacco/solvent in play along with the start date.

......I then plan to filter using a combination of maybe a french press, and then a coffee filter (unbleached), or something like that.

Coffee filters are good for the first (initial) filtering when separating the tobacco from solvent. Unfortunately, they only provide about ~20 micron particle retention which allows too much gunk through. Final filtration should use 3 micron (or better) filter paper. Inadequate filtering will result in a gunky extract/NET reducing coil/wick life and impeding/altering flavor.

After the extraction process is complete I'd suggest using a coffee filter to separate the PG (now an extract) from the tobacco. Seal the crudely filtered extract in a canning jar and allow it to sit at room temperature (warm) for a week giving any natural oils time to coalesce. Then filter the extract using a high retention paper filter. Store the filtered extract in an air tight container in a cool, dark place until ready to mix. Store mixed NET the same way and it'll stay good for years (if it lasts that long ;)).

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Any thoughts on this?

An Aeropress coffee maker has been one of the best NET tools (filtering) I’ve purchased. Most kits come complete with filters included. You can purchase 70mm - Grade 5 filters (2.5 micron) from Amazon, cut them down to the same size filter as the Aeropress... works like a champ; simple and easy.

I’m with @Str8vision on tobacco types. Single leaf varietals don’t really float my boat... too much of a mono-flavored profile for my tastebuds. Non-Aromatic tobacco “blends” offer me more of what I’m after in a NET vape.

Good luck on your journey.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
An Aeropress coffee maker has been one of the best NET tools (filtering) I’ve purchased. Most kits come complete with filters included. You can purchase 70mm - Grade 5 filters (2.5 micron) from Amazon, cut them down to the same size filter as the Aeropress... works like a champ; simple and easy.

I’m with @Str8vision on tobacco types. Single leaf varietals don’t really float my boat... too much of a mono-flavored profile for my tastebuds. Non-Aromatic tobacco “blends” offer me more of what I’m after in a NET vape.

Good luck on your journey.

The only single leaf tobacco I bought from Leaf Only was Parque, and it took a longer soak before it could be strained. However, it turned out good on it's own and as a mixer.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Hearth & Home Mid-Town Chestnut - Pipes and Cigars

Cold Macerated in PG for two months during Winter of 2017.
Mixed at 10% (70/30 PG/VG, 10mg Nic) on 2/9/2018

First Impression ; smooth and sweet on the inhale. The Burley, Virginia and Maryland part of the blend leads off with a mild and smooth start. The Turkish and Latakia kick in on the exhale. My first thoughts were that the Latakia on the exhale is reminiscent of the 'bite' a tobacco pipe smoker would know about.
The Customer Reviews at P&C are mixed. Those who like it describe it as a mild- medium English Blend.
Overall, it's an enjoyable blend. Though I personally think it would be better suited for evening hours than morning coffee.

Last edited:

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
223548.jpg
Although sometimes helpful, I’ve learned to take the pipe smokers review with a grain of salt. ;)

However, I typically always trust the reviews of NETheads, such as yourself.

if the flavor to the pipe tobacco is defined as "a true light morning smoke" it translates into an almost tasteless vape for me, unless I the extraction is longer or the vape liquid is a stronger percent of concentrate.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
I’m girding my tastebuds today, as a 10 month maceration of Tsuge Ryujin heads toward the filter. From what I’ve read here, it might be one of those NETs that is just used for a Latakia kick with other NETs. As it goes through the evap process now, the whole house smells like I have a roaring campfire going in the middle of the den. :confused:

• Winner
Reactions: Str8vision

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I’m girding my tastebuds today, as a 10 month maceration of Tsuge Ryujin heads toward the filter. From what I’ve read here, it might be one of those NETs that is just used for a Latakia kick with other NETs. As it goes through the evap process now, the whole house smells like I have a roaring campfire going in the middle of the den. :confused:

I'm certainly envious, can't get the Tsuge's Ryujin anymore. Enjoy the Latakia kick!

FYI, 4noggins are having a 15% sale on Mac Baren and Sutliff bulk tobaccos until 16/12. Ooops! 12/16 (I forgot that you Americans do dates differently) I have done their tobacco 3 month cold macerated in PG recently, the Sutliff 'Vanilla Custard' & 'Rum & Maple' are excellent. My first attempt and I have just found another 'yellow brick road'! I thought I had done a great thing by DIYing my e-liquids. Now into extractions of all kinda stuff and it's another bottomless pit! Go mad! I have.
www.4noggins.com - Powered by Network Solutions.

Last edited:

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
FYI, 4noggins are having a 15% sale on Mac Baren and Sutliff bulk tobaccos until 16/12. Ooops! 12/16 (I forgot that you Americans do dates differently) I have done their tobacco 3 month cold macerated in PG recently, the Sutliff 'Vanilla Custard' & 'Rum & Maple' are excellent. My first attempt and I have just found another 'yellow brick road'! I thought I had done a great thing by DIYing my e-liquids. Now into extractions of all kinda stuff and it's another bottomless pit! Go mad! I have.
www.4noggins.com - Powered by Network Solutions.

Congratulations on your success with Sutliff Rum and Maple maceration. I tried that extraction and it turned out rather weak in taste in both the rum and the maple.... :cry:

Thank you @checkum I used 10 grams tobacco to 70ml PG on all the cold macerations and they are all great, I heard somewhere that 'Taste is subjective' though. I did well for a first timer with the aid of the threads on ECF. I went nuts and bought a heap more from them. Buying the jars was a pain here. Then, I had to double the amount of jars for filtration. Did I think of that? Nope! All good though! The screenshot is the 2nd order I made. Another 19 sleeps until filtering starts on this lot. 1st 4noggins order.png

Attachments

• 2nd 4nogs order.png
    2nd 4nogs order.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
FYI:

A new MedWatch Safety Alert for:
  • E-...... HelloCig E-Liquid by HelloCig Electronic Technology Co: Warning - Contains the Undeclared Drugs Sildenafil and Tadalafil
  • E-Rimonabant HelloCig E-Liquid by HelloCig Electronic Technology Co: Warning - Contains the Undeclared Drug Sildenafil
intended for: Consumer, Health Professional was just added to the FDA Drug Safety Webpage.

You can read the complete Drug Safety Alert that includes recommendations at:https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm628135.htm

• Informative
mail
Announcing a Winter Sale for 2018!!

15% off your order

no coupon code needed,
applied automatically at checkout

Sale end Friday, 12-21-2018 at 12 Noon CST
There are a few people around that have noticed a steep decline in the quality of NET.LLC in the recent past, just so you know. I ordered from them some months ago and ended up having to throw 3 out as it smelled as it was 'off'. No response from them at all.....

Walter Ladd

Multiple ID Suspension
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2018
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
There are a few people around that have noticed a steep decline in the quality of NET.LLC in the recent past, just so you know. I ordered from them some months ago and ended up having to throw 3 out as it smelled as it was 'off'. No response from them at all.....

That is depressing. Is the vendor still the original owner ? I think a one-time ECF regular (germs ..?) started that company a few years back, but was having some difficulties in his personal life. His start-up was successful, but I went in another direction not long after. Then MyVapeJuice closed up for Gub'ment intrusion, and I just started trying my own thing ....

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
That is depressing. Is the vendor still the original owner ? I think a one-time ECF regular (germs ..?) started that company a few years back, but was having some difficulties in his personal life. His start-up was successful, but I went in another direction not long after. Then MyVapeJuice closed up for Gub'ment intrusion, and I just started trying my own thing ....

Not Germs. His ECF name was CarbonThief.
Blast from the past... Thread started by scarf-ace.
Slow Cooker Extraction of Tobacco and Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread