Best type of juice in a MTL RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
I got a great number of responses on my last post, with tons of useful information, so here’s another question I have for you all. What is the best type of juice for flavor in a MTL RTA?

I’ve found that lower mg salt nic usually tastes better than its higher mg counterpart - I.E. a 30mg and a 50mg bottle of the same juice will taste better in the 30mg option.

I’ve read about people smoking 0, 3, and 6mg freebase in pod systems, so I bought some myself to try it out in my MTL RTA (the lady at the vape shop said 3mg would have a lot more flavor than Nic salts).

I’m not sure if I somehow got a bad batch of juice (I have 4 different flavors/ 2 different brands so idk the likelihood of that) or what, but it doesn't have a prominent taste.

Ive tried from .6 to 1.2ohm coils with 28ga stainless steel single round, as well as some 1ohm mtl fused claptons. Is it possible to make the juice work with my current set up or do I need to buy different gauge wire and up my watts? I’m not interested in heavy cloud production, just flavor.

Reactions: stols001

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I think it's all a matter of personal preference. I vape strictly MTL in several devices including a couple of pods. I use 12 mg regular e liquid. I don't like salts. They make me cough and the nicotine content is just too high. I don't need to pump 25 mg or 30 mg or 50 mg of nicotine into my body. I think using that much nicotine just creates more and stronger cravings. 12 mg of regular juice gives me a satisfying throat hit.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I started from 12mg nic and slowly lowered it in 4 months and now I an at 6ml nic....when I try go 5 I don't get satisfied Soo I guess I will try later....I use always 70vg juice cause pg dry up my mouth a lot and I don't want throat hits ....that muted flavour a bit but I diy depend the flavour and most times from 2-6% I don't like strong flavour but....many say a 50vg juice is more suited for mtl....or more pg...I guess the nicotine it's all about what covers your needs but yes don't fall into trap and end up getting more nic that u used to with cigs....u will get sick :p or more addicted like vapemesilly said...I didn't notice different flavour according to nicotine level btw...never used salts tho

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
I think it's all a matter of personal preference. I vape strictly MTL in several devices including a couple of pods. I use 12 mg regular e liquid. I don't like salts. They make me cough and the nicotine content is just too high. I don't need to pump 25 mg or 30 mg or 50 mg of nicotine into my body. I think using that much nicotine just creates more and stronger cravings. 12 mg of regular juice gives me a satisfying throat hit.

Coil specs and wattage?

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
I started from 12mg nic and slowly lowered it in 4 months and now I an at 6ml nic....when I try go 5 I don't get satisfied Soo I guess I will try later....I use always 70vg juice cause pg dry up my mouth a lot and I don't want throat hits ....that muted flavour a bit but I diy depend the flavour and most times from 2-6% I don't like strong flavour but....many say a 50vg juice is more suited for mtl....or more pg...I guess the nicotine it's all about what covers your needs but yes don't fall into trap and end up getting more nic that u used to with cigs....u will get sick :p or more addicted like vapemesilly said...I didn't notice different flavour according to nicotine level btw...never used salts tho

I don’t vape for nic, even though I used to smoke 2 packs a day. After I got out of boot camp I hated the taste of cigarettes and refused to smoke them ever again lol. What wattage are you vaping at?

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I don’t vape for nic, even though I used to smoke 2 packs a day. After I got out of boot camp I hated the taste of cigarettes and refused to smoke them ever again lol. What wattage are you vaping at?

Most times Ss316l 28ga 7wraps 3mm id spaced 14-16watt
Few times Kanthal 28ga 5wraps 3mm id spaced 15-17watt
I use hallvapes direct lung disk the holes side and outside airflow ring at number 4 or 5 ...just saying

Me too I can't even vape black notes extrated tobacco juice cause the taste is like real cigarettes xD

MartinD

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2017
I'm vaping 10-12w 28-29ga kanthal, 50/50 6mg for couple of years.As someone said, nicsalts makes me cough and only use them im pod systems 20mg max.
I think you should buy nichrome and kanthal wire(you have ss and claptons) and try everything on you rta.To me, with ss I don't taste flavor and with claptons is warm vape when I'm chainvaping.

Last edited:

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
And try with 2mm diammeter coil when the deck airhole is 1.5-1.6mm or smaller or 2,5mm coil when air hole is >1.6mm or there are 2 or more smaller airholes on the deck.

I have one .7ish ohm kanthal made at 2mm ID to try over the 1.2mm airflow hole on the pioneer once I finish this tank of juice. I really like the flavor I get from stainless coils with salt nic, I just have to dry burn them after every 2ml or so because the center 2 wraps get kinda dark and I lose flavor. Not sure if this is normal (only vaping at 17 watts) With the NI80 coils it came with it seemed like they didn’t darken for a couple tanks.

Last edited:

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
Most times Ss316l 28ga 7wraps 3mm id spaced 14-16watt
Few times Kanthal 28ga 5wraps 3mm id spaced 15-17watt
I use hallvapes direct lung disk the holes side and outside airflow ring at number 4 or 5 ...just saying

Me too I can't even vape black notes extrated tobacco juice cause the taste is like real cigarettes xD

You MTL with that disk? Just for clarification

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
One thing that you'll learn over time @MichaellMcCoyy, is that each and every atomiser work well with different flavours.

For example, you put the same juice or liquid in your MD and Pioneer with the same coil. So about as equal as you can make them.

And you'll notice that there will be a difference in the flavour produced.

But if you want more flavour at the moment, I'd guess that a staple or fused MTL Clapton type coil and lowering the ohms some will produce more vapour.

And coil placement can have a dramatic impact on flavour, try to keep the coil about 1-2mm away from the airflow.

You could even try experimenting with TC mode as well? If so, I can give you the 101 on that if you'd like.

Also you could try a little less wicking through the coil, thinking that you may have it a little bit too tight and the liquid isn't wicking as well as it could be?

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
You MTL with that disk? Just for clarification

Yes sorry i forgot to say it....I use it only for mtl...I don't like tight draw cause the cigarettes I used to smoke we're not tight also Soo I tried to make it similar at first :p
For you that u hunt for flavour tho the smaller disk aiflow will be better I guess the 3 0.8mm holes side.....for flavour u need less air to vapor ratio I guess....then it's the shape of the chamber and the reducer it might have but I feel like most rtas if not all can give good flavour if they have small Chambers anyways :p

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I have one .7ish ohm kanthal made at 2mm ID to try over the 1.2mm airflow hole on the pioneer once I finish this tank of juice. I really like the flavor I get from stainless coils with salt nic, I just have to dry burn them after every 2ml or so because the center 2 wraps get kinda dark and I lose flavor. Not sure if this is normal (only vaping at 17 watts) With the NI80 coils it came with it seemed like they didn’t darken for a couple tanks.

My coils used to get so dark cause of very sweet juices but also few times after a wrong wicking....it's possible to have the cotton a little tighter into the coil and veeeeery lightly burn the cotton and that causes it to get darker fast also that way the cotton gets tighter and lose flavour and can't notice the taste of it... If the coil gets dark I usually don't have problem but if the cotton between wraps get dark with only 2ml e juice then wicking is not correct even if u use very sweet juice....brotha since u say u got 3 rtas bought already I think u should just focus on one of those and build on it cause maybe u switch rtasand so u can't keep memory of the proper wicking u have to do?...the cotton is most important I think...the coils and stuff not soooo big deal or hard in my opinion....I know that hellvape md is not easy to wick Soo since u got other rtas also choose one and stick to it for few days or weeks and master building it... Just saying of I don't know what u do and just suggest I am also new to rtas only 2 months or something .....enjoy :vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor:

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
My coils used to get so dark cause of very sweet juices but also few times after a wrong wicking....it's possible to have the cotton a little tighter into the coil and veeeeery lightly burn the cotton and that causes it to get darker fast also that way the cotton gets tighter and lose flavour and can't notice the taste of it... If the coil gets dark I usually don't have problem but if the cotton between wraps get dark with only 2ml e juice then wicking is not correct even if u use very sweet juice....brotha since u say u got 3 rtas bought already I think u should just focus on one of those and build on it cause maybe u switch rtasand so u can't keep memory of the proper wicking u have to do?...the cotton is most important I think...the coils and stuff not soooo big deal or hard in my opinion....I know that hellvape md is not easy to wick Soo since u got other rtas also choose one and stick to it for few days or weeks and master building it... Just saying of I don't know what u do and just suggest I am also new to rtas only 2 months or something .....enjoy :vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor:

I have switched to only using the Pioneer because it doesn’t leak like my MD and gives me good flavor with my nic salts. All my juices are sweet, and I always assumed that’s why the coils gunked up, I just didn’t expect it to happen so fast. It’s never the cotton - just the middle two wraps on the coil. I think I have the wicking down pretty good. I get moderate resistance while pulling it through, but not enough to deform the coil. I’ve tried more/less cotton and less just makes it leak/gurgle, while more just deforms my round wire coils and I toss them. I measure out 1.5x - 2x the ID of the coil and cut the cotton to that width.

As far as the MD goes I’ve tried 2.5 and 3.0ID coils with every combination of coil ohms / airflow disk and they all worked pretty well for flavor with nic salts, just not the 3mg. I also prefer a looser mtl, but I can’t be blowing fat clouds at work when I’m trying to hide it lol

MichaellMcCoyy

Sep 26, 2020
One thing that you'll learn over time @MichaellMcCoyy, is that each and every atomiser work well with different flavours.

For example, you put the same juice or liquid in your MD and Pioneer with the same coil. So about as equal as you can make them.

And you'll notice that there will be a difference in the flavour produced.

But if you want more flavour at the moment, I'd guess that a staple or fused MTL Clapton type coil and lowering the ohms some will produce more vapour.

And coil placement can have a dramatic impact on flavour, try to keep the coil about 1-2mm away from the airflow.

You could even try experimenting with TC mode as well? If so, I can give you the 101 on that if you'd like.

Also you could try a little less wicking through the coil, thinking that you may have it a little bit too tight and the liquid isn't wicking as well as it could be?

I touched on my wicking in my last response, but I will try using a 1-2mm coiling rod for clearance under the coil. I tried lifting it up before, and didn’t get better flavor, but I’ll try it again with an exact clearance measurement.

I’ve used the 1.0 MTL fused claptons from Vandy Vape multiple times and didn’t notice a difference in flavor from my SS316L 28Ga round wire.

Reactions: Izan

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I have switched to only using the Pioneer because it doesn’t leak like my MD and gives me good flavor with my nic salts. All my juices are sweet, and I always assumed that’s why the coils gunked up, I just didn’t expect it to happen so fast. It’s never the cotton - just the middle two wraps on the coil. I think I have the wicking down pretty good. I get moderate resistance while pulling it through, but not enough to deform the coil. I’ve tried more/less cotton and less just makes it leak/gurgle, while more just deforms my round wire coils and I toss them. I measure out 1.5x - 2x the ID of the coil and cut the cotton to that width.

As far as the MD goes I’ve tried 2.5 and 3.0ID coils with every combination of coil ohms / airflow disk and they all worked pretty well for flavor with nic salts, just not the 3mg. I also prefer a looser mtl, but I can’t be blowing fat clouds at work when I’m trying to hide it lol

:D Ok nice it just that my coils get dark after a while and it's fine but when there is gunk on cotton between the coil wraps then I start to lose flavour and have problems....gets dark in the middle first cause that's the part of the coil that heats up a little more than the rest...it just that 2mls means it's veeeery fast hmmmmm....kanthal wire is very stiff and SS wire is very easy to deform...that makes it hard to get a consistent feeling while we pull the cotton through it....that's why she wire is hard to wick correctly cause it deforms easy especially when it's spaced....anyways I am sure u gonna go just fine....sometimes it just sooooo little different in cotton between spitback and leak and dry hits or just less flavours and slight burns....all good now keep rocking your pioneer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread