Best Wattage for Siren 2 MTL with 1 Ohm Coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
My first evening vaping with a mod/tank (Think Vape Finder DNS75c & Siren 2). Using the included coil tonight, I tried a variety of wattage's, but was unable to feel that I had it "dialed in" so far as getting the taste I desire. My only other experience is using a pod like my Kandypens Rubi and Feather pod devices.

I am using juices from five pawns, which are 50/50 pg/vg. I used Mugi Cotton from the Coil Master kit. If nothing else, I am happy that I have had no leaks so far.

So far I am not getting as much flavor as I do from those simple devices. It may be that I did not do the build optimally of course, but was wondering what people have found to be optimal watts for their Siren 2's. Also, what pre-heat settings you prefer would be helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
the thing about sirens (and all RTAs in general) is the flavor will depend on more than just the wattage and resistance settings. wire material will change the flavor, as will round wire vs exotic coils. also distance from the air ports will influence the flavor.

in my experience i enjoy mine in TC mode with 28-26awg ss wire at 355-370 depending on age of the coil. in pure wattage mode i run about 1.2 ohms and between 7.5 and 9 watts. but i like cooler vapes than some and i also do restricted direct lung hits. i dont have any exprience with pods yet as they are a recent evolution of the tech so i cant speak to them, though with my quick google-fu i see that they are short draw systems (small distance from coil to mouth) so the longer draw of the siren may take some getting used to. also the coils dont have a resistance noted on them, so you may need a higher resistance coil that you can run at 10-15 watts for a more satisfying flavor experience. i am sure there will be others along soon to offer additional advise.

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
the thing about sirens (and all RTAs in general) is the flavor will depend on more than just the wattage and resistance settings. wire material will change the flavor, as will round wire vs exotic coils. also distance from the air ports will influence the flavor.

in my experience i enjoy mine in TC mode with 28-26awg ss wire at 355-370 depending on age of the coil. in pure wattage mode i run about 1.2 ohms and between 7.5 and 9 watts. but i like cooler vapes than some and i also do restricted direct lung hits. i dont have any exprience with pods yet as they are a recent evolution of the tech so i cant speak to them, though with my quick google-fu i see that they are short draw systems (small distance from coil to mouth) so the longer draw of the siren may take some getting used to. also the coils dont have a resistance noted on them, so you may need a higher resistance coil that you can run at 10-15 watts for a more satisfying flavor experience. i am sure there will be others along soon to offer additional advise.
Great Information, Thanks mucho. I have some SS316L on hand already, so will try making a coil as you advise.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I find my Siren vapes best with a SS coil (flavorwise). I run it with the airflow pretty open. I will say for flavor this tank requires some experimentation, I run mine (depending on mod and build) anywhere between 7--14 watts. I will also say, finding the right juice for this tank does take some experimentation. I find mine shines best with strong fruit flavors, but that is what is to my taste in the tank.

The Siren V2 (IMO) should be thoroughly washed, it can have a funky taste for a while if you don't. Apologies if you already did that, it's just there's some traces of machining oil in some of mine that could (I imagine) lead to funky tastes, smells, etc.

Best of luck I would continue experimenting with all variables as once you find your "sweet spot" it's a fantastic tank.

Anna

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
Thanks Anna, I am about to try making my first coils. Good gosh, I never thought about the need to give it a good washing, and have not seen anyone mention that, :censored:. I'll do that with the second tank before using it for sure. ATM, I am using 10 Watts but am bouncing it around.

OH! I wonder if anyone has suggestions for replacing the drip tips? The stock one just does not seems comfortable to me and even though tip of it has the delrin part, it is not deep, and the cold metal part is not pleasant.seems to have a nasty taste. (Doh, maybe the taste is from not washing it before hand)

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
Thanks steeledragon78, I'll have a look. I did make my first SS316 coil, and wicked it up, and am pleased to say it gets better results than I saw with the stock coil. Since I knew I could try TC now, I gave it a whirl, and did like it. Though i am get better flavor, I am still missing some things I taste with my pods and the same juices, particularly the sweeter notes.

I did a "normal" coil and think perhaps a spaced coil might be worth trying from what I have been able to glean from reading. Also, I should be getting in some better cotton, as well some Rayon, so that might help as well.

From your experiences, is there a temperature range where flavor and sweetness tend to be best?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Thanks steeledragon78, I'll have a look. I did make my first SS316 coil, and wicked it up, and am pleased to say it gets better results than I saw with the stock coil. Since I knew I could try TC now, I gave it a whirl, and did like it. Though i am get better flavor, I am still missing some things I taste with my pods and the same juices, particularly the sweeter notes.

I did a "normal" coil and think perhaps a spaced coil might be worth trying from what I have been able to glean from reading. Also, I should be getting in some better cotton, as well some Rayon, so that might help as well.

From your experiences, is there a temperature range where flavor and sweetness tend to be best?

I can't answer you on TC as I don't use TC mode, however there are many factors that affect flavor - coil placement in relationship to airflow (even a 1mm difference can make a huge difference in flavor ), the build as you mentioned..

It is often getting the right combination of everything for the most flavorful vape.

Since your new to building, a lot at this point is just to play around with everything and experiment some.. have fun with it and don't stress, the more you tweak this or that with each build the closer you get to perfection.

Before you know it, you'll be the teacher. .

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Couple things, you can still wash out your tank if you want, it typically takes a while to vape all the machining oil out of a tank, you might get better results washing everything and starting over.

The 22 mm black version of the Siren V2 (not sure about the 24 mm, I only have that in gun metal) that I have has a plastic cap, with driptip of plastic and a little "delrin" stopper on top of it. I'm not sure if it's size, or color, dependent, but it's possible FT might carry "parts" for the Siren V2, including a different driptip, I'm not sure. But a non-proprietary driptip would probably work just fine too.

I have (accidentally) switched over the top cap/drip tip between my 22 and 24 versions before when I was filling them both at once. They vaped fine, I only noticed it when I noticed it. I was kinda surprised they "fit" but they did. Etc.

Anna

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
I hear ya Opinionated, unlike my smoking habit, I have realized that vaping can be as much a hobby as an activity, so I'm looking at it in that light - trying things is part of the fun.

Anna I did use a second new tank for this build, after giving it a good washing, and that indeed may have helped. I may be misinformed on drip tips, but I would think that - barring poor quality control - drip tips that are "510" should fit from tank to tank, particularly from the same brand, correct?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, if of the correct size, most driptips will work I guess with the caveat that some driptips for mods have a very small O-ring (that may or may not need to be there) and in that case, it might not be "snug" although I'd imagine you could transfer the O-ring along with it.... I've not had any issues swapping out "most" driptips in equipment that I use.... My favorite thing about the N2 tank is the drip tip and I use it in many of my tanks, etc.

Anna

Reactions: Opinionated

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
Yikes, I just received the Koh Gen Do cotton, and the rest of the Siren 2's. Apparently, in my birthday buying frenzy, I somehow ordered more than I intended. I am now the proud owner of a total of 6 Siren 2's. All 24mm - 3 Black, 2 SS, and 1 Blue! :shock:

I am now the world's most dedicated Siren 2 experimenter, determined to wring the best results out of these babies.:rolleyes:

At least I got them at a great price, lol.

Reactions: fitchy

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
I hope someone will wrote wright setup for it.I tried almost everything with my 22mm but spitback or too much flavor are inevitable side effects(sorrry for bad english).

Poslato sa PRA-LX1 uz pomoć Tapatoka
Please take my experience with a very large dollop of caution due to my lack of it, here goes:

When I first fired up this tank using the stock coil, I was shocked with the amount of popping and spitting this thing was doing. It was bad enough that putting the damn thing to my mouth felt hazardous. I thought how can anyone use this thing.

I think for me it was a combination of not enough wick in the coil, and my ignorance about using the DNA75c mod correctly. Using either watt mode in the correct range for the coil, or TC with a stainless coil, has totally eliminated the popping and spitting fireworks.

By the way, what does "Poslato sa PRA-LX1 uz pomoć Tapatoka" mean? Google failed on it.

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I hear ya Opinionated, unlike my smoking habit, I have realized that vaping can be as much a hobby as an activity, so I'm looking at it in that light - trying things is part of the fun.

Anna I did use a second new tank for this build, after giving it a good washing, and that indeed may have helped. I may be misinformed on drip tips, but I would think that - barring poor quality control - drip tips that are "510" should fit from tank to tank, particularly from the same brand, correct?

510 literally means 10 threads at 0.5 mm per thread. The diameter is 7mm. If you were to create this thread yourself, it would use an M7 x 0.5 tap.

All 510 threaded drip tips and connections are (or at the very least should be) interchangeable as they are (or should be.. lol) the same size.

It's a standard size used for connections in vaping.

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Please take my experience with a very large dollop of caution due to my lack of it, here goes:

When I first fired up this tank using the stock coil, I was shocked with the amount of popping and spitting this thing was doing. It was bad enough that putting the damn thing to my mouth felt hazardous. I thought how can anyone use this thing.

I think for me it was a combination of not enough wick in the coil, and my ignorance about using the DNA75c mod correctly. Using either watt mode in the correct range for the coil, or TC with a stainless coil, has totally eliminated the popping and spitting fireworks.

By the way, what does "Poslato sa PRA-LX1 uz pomoć Tapatoka" mean? Google failed on it.

Other than the phrase being potentially Serbian, I don't have a clue.

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
Ah, there we go, I knew it was a standard of some sort :)

And in other news.. I currently have one of those new Siren 2's in my freezer!

I have tried and tried to get it to unscrew at the bottom to open it up, but no luck so far, tried hot water, so now it is being punished with the cold shoulder to see how that works..

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Ah, there we go, I knew it was a standard of some sort :)

And in other news.. I currently have one of those new Siren 2's in my freezer!

I have tried and tried to get it to unscrew at the bottom to open it up, but no luck so far, tried hot water, so now it is being punished with the cold shoulder to see how that works..

Oh that sucks!

Make sure you lube up the orings with ejuice when you put those back together after cleaning..

• Agree
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread