Best way to add sweetner

Status
Not open for further replies.

december120964

Jun 11, 2014
Pennsylvania
I have a couple bottles of ejuice I purchased pre-made. I would like to sweeten them if possible.

Any suggestions?. I have ethymaltol and splendex. Is one better than the other? How much to use?

For example I have a peppermint/menthol flavor which is good but I would like to see if I can sweeten it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Reactions: stols001

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I have a couple bottles of ejuice I purchased pre-made. I would like to sweeten them if possible. Any suggestions?
IS... sweetening is really the goal? Sometimes, folks are more interested in removing harshness, or chemical/artificial tastes. This can often be accomplished by allowing the e-liquid to simply age for a couple of weeks. The flavor concentrates used to make it, may blend together, settle down, and provide a more satisfying vape.

In the case of harshness, caused by alcohol being used as a flavor carrier; allowing the e-liquid bottle to sit, with the top open (no cap, no dripper tip) and "breathe" for a few hours to overnight, allows the alcohol to evaporate.

If you really are trying to satisfy a sweet tooth; then there are certainly ways to add sweetness.
I have ethymaltol and splendex. Is one better than the other? How much to use?
What forms are each of these in? Powder or liquid? Do you have specific brands, or lists of ingredients, you can share here?

The reason I ask, is that many grocery store types of sweeteners, contain extra "things" that are fine for ingesting (eating/drinking), but may not be great for inhalation (vaping). Things like anti-caking agents (in the case of powders/crystals), and preservatives.

Safety of your particular products aside; ethyl maltol/maltol, and sucralose, are both common ingredients found in many commercial e-liquids. Here is a little info on each.

Ethyl maltol (aka. "EM")
EM is not so much a sweetener, as it is a flavor "smoother" (softening sharper flavor notes), and an enhancer used to create a "thicker" mouthfeel in vapor. Yes; EM is used as a true sweetener in food and beverages, but its sweetening does not translate as well to vaping. It can impart a mild sweetening; but there are better options.

Which leads to the downside of EM. EM can also become a flavor muter/killer when too much is used. And, because many e-liquids (and even the flavor concentrates used to make eliquids), already contain significant amounts of EM; it is easy to cross the threshold of "just enough." to "too much" and ruin an otherwise okay e-liquid.

Personally; EM would be my last choice to use as a sweetener.

Sucralose
Sucralose; if not the most common sweetener used in making e-liquids, is certainly one of the most common. A minority of vapers, can detect an "artificial" or "chemically" taste imparted by sucralose, but the majority don't seem to object.

Sucralose is quite a potent sweetener (just like when using in food or beverage); so a little goes along way. Also, too much can/may(?), enhance that fake/artificial taste that some find objectionable. It is wise idea, to start with minimal amounts, and "doctor" only a portion of your e-liquid supply; until you know if it is going to provide the effect you desire. Remember: it is always easier to add more. But, you can't take it out, once it's in there.:D

So far; I have been operating under the assumption, that you are wanting to use what you already have. If you want to buy a sweetener; there are many choices available from DIY e-liquid suppliers. This can be a "better" option if you question the safety/purity of what you already possess.

In that case; there are a multitude of choices. Common/popular sweeteners, like TFA-Sweetener and CAP-Super Sweet are some of the most routinely used sucralose concentrates in DIY. Or, for those who are craving a real "sugar lips" experience when vaping; a newer product called Sugar Daddy is growing quite a following.

Once we have more info, about what you want to use, what form it is in, and how much e-liquid you are wanting to sweeten; we can give you more specific suggestions about how much you might want to try adding.:D

• Useful

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well the good news with most sweeteners is that they are pretty much shake and vape, so you should (if as IDjoel states) if you are going for sweetener, you can start slow and work your way up. I don't know a ton about erythritol other than it is very concentrated, so depending on the size of the bottle, use a drop or two. I don't know much at all about your other sweetener, but I use Cap Supersweet, (it's sucralose) and usually a drop or two per 30 ml is all I need, I do also use flavors with ethyl maltol from time to time, it's a "kind of sweetener" that will also add some juiciness and mouthfeel. I will say, it can mute other flavors so you want to use it judiciously. I think you can buy ethyl maltol as an additive, I don't really know how it works on its own but you will find it in cotton candy (usually mostly ethyl maltol) and in merengue and marshmallow both good at adding some balanced sweetness and mouthfeel, although they don't exactly play well with every single flavoring out there.

Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: Fredman1

december120964

Jun 11, 2014
Pennsylvania
Thank you all so much. Lots of good suggestions I will take a look at all. I think maybe the EM is diluting the liquid from what im reading here. And I need to get a sweetner made more for eliquid.

I keep reading that TFA sweetner is the best. Question is TFA (The Flavor Apprentice)
is that the brand name ?. I did a search I found some that say it's that but doesn't have TFA on the bottle itself. ?? Confused. Thank you all for the suggestions.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I keep reading that TFA sweetner is the best. Question is TFA (The Flavor Apprentice)
is that the brand name ?. I did a search I found some that say it's that but doesn't have TFA on the bottle itself. ?? Confused. Thank you all for the suggestions.

I, personally like TFA Sweetener the best of the 4 that I've tried. And yes...The Flavor Apprentice IS the brand name of it.

Some vendors buy flavorings in large quantities and then rebottle it in smaller ones to put on their websites. Their labeling on those bottles may or may not have the whole The Flavor Apprentice name on them. Some may show the letters Fa, in a small blue square...and then in almost miniscule lettering under those 2 letters it'll say, The Flavor Apprentice.

Another vendor that rebottles flavorings calls them "Signature" on the label, and they're supposedly TFA. However...TFA will not guarantee that what's IN those bottles is 100% the same flavoring that TFA manufactures and sells. I've called and spoken to the TFA owner herself about it a month or so ago.

I always buy only the TFA Sweetener that IS labeled with their name on it, so I'm sure that's what I'm really getting. Even if you buy just a small 10-15mL bottle of it, that's probably enough to sweeten a good amount of your eliquid. It doesn't usually take much to make a difference.

december120964

Jun 11, 2014
Pennsylvania
I, personally like TFA Sweetener the best of the 4 that I've tried. And yes...The Flavor Apprentice IS the brand name of it.

Some vendors buy flavorings in large quantities and then rebottle it in smaller ones to put on their websites. Their labeling on those bottles may or may not have the whole The Flavor Apprentice name on them. Some may show the letters Fa, in a small blue square...and then in almost miniscule lettering under those 2 letters it'll say, The Flavor Apprentice.

Another vendor that rebottles flavorings calls them "Signature" on the label, and they're supposedly TFA. However...TFA will not guarantee that what's IN those bottles is 100% the same flavoring that TFA manufactures and sells. I've called and spoken to the TFA owner herself about it a month or so ago.

I always buy only the TFA Sweetener that IS labeled with their name on it, so I'm sure that's what I'm really getting. Even if you buy just a small 10-15mL bottle of it, that's probably enough to sweeten a good amount of your eliquid. It doesn't usually take much to make a difference.

Thank you could you maybe give me the site where you get yours that way I know I'm getting the right stuff?

Ty for all the help

Reactions: JCinFLA

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Thank you could you maybe give me the site where you get yours that way I know I'm getting the right stuff?

Ty for all the help

I've gotten it from One Stop DIY Shop and from Wizard Labs. However, right now, I'd get it from One Stop DIY Shop below. They're having a 20% off Anniversary Sale this whole month. You can use either of these codes in your Shopping Cart to get the discount: ECF or JFK. Just pick whatever size you want/need.

Your One Stop Shop for Flavorings, Best Prices and Best Customer Service

They're wonderful people to deal with, have super fast shipping, and great customer service. I buy a bunch of my flavorings from them, as do many people on ECF.

You're welcome for any help, by the way. If/when you ever want to try DIY your own eliquids (which is cost saving, fun, and allows you to easily custom make your eliquids)...PM me and I'll help you any way I can.

• Winner
Reactions: IDJoel

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Thank you so much. I will get some from them. Good to know. I have been thinking about DIY just don't trust myself lol
Dont be a chicken....lol. whats the worst that could happen? A totally unvapable juice is the worst thing you can do. And otherwise, a warm fuzzy feeling for making something that IS totally vapable is the reward. Just go for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread