Better stock up on Cough Syrup also

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtryBoy

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Texas
Another fine example of the FDA hard at work this time at the behest of the DEA. Why?? Why else....to save the children.

The committee will discuss the abuse potential of the drug dextromethorphan and the public health benefits and risks of dextromethorphan use as a cough suppressant in prescription and nonprescription drug products. The Department of Health and Human Services received a request from the Drug Enforcement Administration for a scientific and medical evaluation and scheduling recommendation for dextromethorphan in response to the increased incidence of abuse, especially among adolescents.

At this point I would like to stop paying taxes until they refund me what these idiots manage to blow. They can not understand that kids/adults who were going to abuse this stuff could just find something else to abuse. No amount of regulation is going to save every kid/adult out there from poor decisions. Even an overdose of water will kill you. You can not protect people from themselves even if you outlaw cars/guns/bottled water/etc/etc. Get a clue FDA, you do not control the world and you cant save anyone. Do your job and stop trying to find a new drug to declare war on like nicotine and now cough syrup.

http://www.fda.gov/AdvisoryCommittees/Calendar/ucm211003.htm

t9c

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Houston
Great post CtryBoy! I too am sick n tired of all this "Save the Children" BS in the last few years. They've taken their mantra, "It takes a village...", WAY too far. The fact is kids are no more perfect human beings than are their parents and all the rest of us. sick n tired of the government trying to make everyone perfect... it reminds me of Hitler's vision in the 30's. That's where it's going these days. I'm not saying it ain't a sad situation today, but it certainly ain't no worse than the 60's when I was a teen.

frisco

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2010
Asheville
Have you all heard that one of the latest fads is "eyeballing vodka". Apparently it's quite popular on college campuses and it is just what it sounds like. You put the vodka directly in the pink of your eye so it gets in the mucus membrane. I heard a 23 year old interviewed. She never thought of it as dangerous. She says her eyes throb constantly and the doctors tell her she will lose her vision in the next few years.

Maybe they should ban vodka. We can't police the world!

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
Have you all heard that one of the latest fads is "eyeballing vodka". Apparently it's quite popular on college campuses and it is just what it sounds like. You put the vodka directly in the pink of your eye so it gets in the mucus membrane. I heard a 23 year old interviewed. She never thought of it as dangerous. She says her eyes throb constantly and the doctors tell her she will lose her vision in the next few years.

Maybe they should ban vodka. We can't police the world!

My response to her would be "good, that's what happens when you do ......ed:censored:" I have no sympathy for her misfortune. None.

Anybody else feel like they just want to run out of their house screaming the F word and causing mayhem, or is it just me? :p

CtryBoy

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Texas
Think you all are nailing it right on the head. Our society has gone from the we can kick anybody's @#$ to awww shucks lets talk about why you act out and cant stop texting while you are driving down the street. If these idiots were not protected by the same twisted benevolent power that lets the drunk walk away from completely destroying his car and possibly someone's life, without a single scratch is the only thing keeping darwin from thinning this herd.

There is also a big tiff over a form of GHB which is currently approved for an extremely small group of a rare disorder (not too many prescriptions ever written). But come up with a way to help a large group of people with a debilitating and painful condition, well now that would mean a lot of prescriptions would have to be written making abuse possible and since they have to take a second dose in the middle of the night their kids might accidentally sneak into their room and drink it by mistake?????? Good god. Are you there to help people or not?

So because there is a potential abuse because there are a large number of people who could be helped ............. sorry lost my train of thought. Common sense should factor in somewhere. I'm almost positive that the whole reason the concoction is made so you have to take a second dose in the middle of the night is because the FDA wouldnt even consider allowing a time release GHB tablet to be prescribed EVER.

I've got an idea. Go after the people who abuse the system and let those that need the help get the help. ALthough there is some good news from the FDA. It seems that they have (or congress has) reduced a lot of the fees they require device/drug manufacturers to pay. If you are a small business instead of $200,000 you only have to pay $100,000. With most fees at least 5 figures and yearly or some even more often than that. No wonder new drugs cost so much. There is a guy working on a high blood pressure cocktail that is just too cheap and unpatentable so no one is willing to do the FDA required tests to bring it to market. Every one here on blood pressure medicine knows how much the stuff costs because most insurance companies wont cover any of the new stuff that works for you.

Of course if the FDA succeeds in banning ecigs and I go back to analogs, I'll need the expensive blood pressure medicine again. Although I may have found a legitimate business that would give me access to high strength nic and a fogger, so may have a way around any ban. Sorry no hints, patent pending and all :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread