Status
Not open for further replies.

phylo

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2008
Santa Cruz Ca.
That is the Question at hand..

Right now I charge slightly more than most of the other suppliers on this board for a few reasons, but the main reason is that I offer one of the longer warranties on the products I sell. Im wondering if you guys would prefer I lower my prices and shorten my warranty or if I should keep it like it is.. Currently I offer a 30 day money back guaranty and a 6 month replacement warranty.

We all know the failure rate of these things so I thought that the longer waranty would be a good thing. It cuts into my proffits a bit but it also makes for happy customers.

So what do you think?

Phil

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Phil,

This is only my opinion but I think there are a lot of newbs looking for ecigs and because they are still trying to figure out what they would like, they aren't as concerned about warranty as price. They are testing the waters, so to speak, and may purchase one product this week....and be interested in another next week. (I suppose most of us do that anyway.)

I personally don't look at anything too long term here....if it works, that's great....until I see something that might work better for me.

I don't really have an answer but I do think initially spending a lot of money on something you're not even sure you might still want in a month draws appeal to a lower price (at least at first anyway).

The market seems to be getting more and more competitive every day. Users will buy...then move on. I imagine some will still prefer warranty but I think a lower price with good, reliable and honest customer service will win out in the end.

Just my nickel's worth :cool:

Lu

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Newbies are looking for an easy, reliable introduction usually and as Lu says, a lot of people flit between devices for a few months. Eventually they might settle for regular spending on replacing parts for known favourites or they might be tempted to check out the quality of a higher priced guaranteed device that offers better long term value for money.

I'd think you would have to assess your market, who do you want to attract? If you want the new first timers then a cheap workhorse without much of a guarantee is the kind of thing that gets recommended on the forum. For old timers you might have luck with novel products or what you already offer - favourites like the 901 with good long term support.

Bellinghamster

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Bellingham, WA USA
I always prefer the cheap replacements to long warranty's. If you understand the failure rates, it only makes sense to buy a few extra of everything and be assured of functioning gear. I much prefer that to waiting for replacement parts while smoking analogs and cursing the manufacturer.

The earlier comment about a warranty for analogs is appropriate. These live longer than analogs (usually) but are still very much consumable for time being...

... 2 cents deposited

VaporDave

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I think there is room in this market for both strategies. I chose the "cheaper price, shorter warrenty" route, but there are obviously those consumers who want to feel more "protected". I think the longer warrenty means more when you're dealing with a company with good customer service to begin with, and Phil has that covered.

www.vaportrailse-cigs.com

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
I think there's room for that strategy too, but in pondering this some more, I'm wondering if A) will vaping still be legal in six months? and B) will this seller be around in 6 months? No offense, as I think some trust is built hanging around here on the forums, but if I didn't have that, I'm not sure I'd gamble money on both A&B.

Just a thought.

phylo

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2008
Santa Cruz Ca.
Well it looks like the consensus is that I shorten the warranty and drop my prices..

RE: GabbyD's comment about trust and hanging out here on the forum's. I have actually been in business longer than most of the suppliers that are on this forum.. When I started selling there were about 5 sellers in the US and as any of my customers can vouch for I have stood behind my product and the warranty I offer. ( and no I didnt take offense ;-)

Phil

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
I think everyone, well except one obviously, has some valid points and perspectives.

I've noticed a trend lately, not just on this e-cig based forum, but on other unrelated sites where an "exposure" has occurred, that a lot of newer inquiries are of the type that "want" to be told or guided into making a selection leading to a purchase.

The trend due to the latest global news coverages, and personal exposures are also creating a huge interest of those wanting or needing to quit their nasty analog caused stigma, highly expensive, or whatever their reasoning, addiction with even higher hopes that this is their "godsend" rather than as a convenient supplement that only "MAY" help them reduce their intake or quit even if others have succeded cessation by their own account. So their personal expectations are fragile in nature should an initial introduction lead to a bad experience.

This means regardless of what your offering on your site, be it an amazing sounding warranty or fantastic pricing in comparison to others, it will simply boil down to those experiencing good product results and a happy customer service event will be the ones pointing the majority of eager to succeed people in the direction of purchasing regardless what you attempt to portray.

So in other words...... Having the ability to offer an all around quality and the closest resemblance to analogs topped with an affordability that makes buying them look ridiculously cheaper with prevail.

I truly believe that retailers need to start open dialogs with their distributors, who in turn need to escalate the feedback, suggestions, observations they receive into a pro-active communication with the manufactures and concentrate on further developing the product based on customer demands and taking this product out of the perceived "gadget" mode.

Although I'm only currently at the stage of being a customer with plans on joining the retail or distributor chain of suppliers, I have been very actively researching, to my abilities, and openly talking with my chosen suppliers AND distributors to voice read concerns, discussions, observations, and suggestions of the device, its accessories (or lack there of), as well as where this product is going in the near future so quickly.

I think you would be much better off concentrating your time, effort and money on product improvement based on "customers" concerns. This would include pushing for factual reports on testing, ingredients disclosures with reference to studies in addition to what I've already mentioned.

A lot of today's more experienced users have a "need to know" inquisitiveness about them, and everyone has health related concerns, even if that wasn't so when THEY were first introduced. Add to that the product is a new "device" originating out of China, which has a terrible track record of poor safety concerns according to latest headlines. These are the people that are "guiding" the future purchasers.

So take heed.... give those that your revenue and growth are most dependant on what they're asking for and you have nowhere else to go but UP !!

My 2cents........ Vape ON !!
-Greg

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
Well it looks like the consensus is that I shorten the warranty and drop my prices..

RE: GabbyD's comment about trust and hanging out here on the forum's. I have actually been in business longer than most of the suppliers that are on this forum.. When I started selling there were about 5 sellers in the US and as any of my customers can vouch for I have stood behind my product and the warranty I offer. ( and no I didnt take offense ;-)

Phil

Yes, I am quite sure many will vouch for you. I was thinking, if a person didn't hang out here, what would their impression be? In general, in terms of shopping, I tend to not give much credence to warranties unless we're talking about a very old brand with a good reputation. I remember looking at Vizio TVs when they first came out and thinking, who are these people and will they really be in business during the life of my warranty? So I'm thinking along those lines. It's hard to say though. I'm a live in the moment type of person, so I'll gamble on tomorrow if today is cheap enough. LOL!

TxTrouble

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Near Dallas, Texas
Hmm I guess I have a little bit diffent opinion then others. I think if you really market the fact that you have the longest warranty out there then people may go towards that. To me it just means that you really stand behind your product. I am not saying the other sellers arent standing by theirs.
For me it kind of like when you buy a car and you have to decide if you want the extended warranty costing you more or not. I always buy the extended warranty cause I know something could break.
After all that rambling I am simply saying I think a longer warranty is a good thing even if the cost is a little more. You just need to really promote it.
D

youfillintheblank

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Personally, I'd prefer lower prices, simply because I'm in Canada, ordering from the states takes time, and I don't want to have to futz around with mailing defective parts back and forth, and being without them for 2 weeks. The Canadian suppliers are simply too expensive for me to deal with....actually, they're too expensive, period! So, I tend to throw my loonies at places with lower prices. If I spend $7 on an atomizer that kicks the bucket in 4 weeks.....oh well! If I spend $29 on the same part from a canuck supplier (yeah, $29 f**king dollars!!) I damn well want it replaced, and NOW!

rhyddereh

Jan 7, 2009
Portland, OR
lower price with a shorter warranty === no time in transit without the part, throw it away since it's cheap anyway and keep parts on hand.

longer warranty === feel secure knowing your parts are covered but hope you don't need it since we are addicts and going 1-2 weeks while things are in transit really isn't an option unless you have backups.

lintz69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2008
Poconos, PA
Ok, so I am not one to follow the masses, and not one to choose between given options. I like to make my own option. So why not this:

Mini Ecig - 49.99(or whatever)
Optional extended Warranty(14.99) Covers ... for X amount of months.

This way people see a competitive price, but also have the option of an extended warranty for protection of mind. Like Walmart and other places do.

Just a thought.

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Not a bad idea, Lintz. I'm all for adding customer choice.

But here's my thing, Phil; I've collected a lot of manufacturer and distributer catalogs, and they seem to all warranty their products. So, if your supplier gives you a warranty and you don't pass it along to your customers, aren't you depriving them of part of the value of the product?

Isn't that a bit like removing the included cartridges from the starter kit, and selling them seperate? I mean like the warranty, it's the seller's right to put together and sell whatever kit you want, but the customer is losing something that was part of the products original value from the manufacturer.

I'm more tossing that out for discussion than stating that as my hard and set opinion. But it's something I've been musing over for a while now. And I do realize that a manufacturers warranty still costs you a bit. Postage and labor if nothing else. But it does seem like a part of the value of the original product, and something that ought to be passed on to the consumer.

But here's a tip I do feel strongly about; if you are offering a warranty as a selling point for your product, why do you bury it at the end of your FAQ? It should be featured prominently at least once on any page a price is listed. Heck, you should add (Inc 6-month warranty) next to every price! If it's a selling point, SELL it buddy!

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
Great feedback here! Personally, I like lintz69's idea - lower price with optional warranty. I also agree with Smokumchevy - we need to pressure the manufacturers to do some R&D, and improvements. Our posted thoughts and concerns have been taken into account by a few, but not nearly enough.

Yes, it is nice that USB passthroughs are now readily available, but how many here had to mod their own before the Chinese saw the demand and responded with a rather simple design change and overcharged us for it? It is nice that the 901 now comes in more than 2 colors, but where is the power? We have many needs/demands that are not being addressed. We do need our suppliers to advocate for us in whatever way they can. We can work on consolidating these needs/demands into a single thread if we can get our suppliers to take these to their distributors and perhaps the manufacturers. We don't just want new paint jobs, we want better products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread