Status
Not open for further replies.

SKYYcamel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2009
Mississippi
So I’m sitting on my couch watching tv last night and I hear a sizzling sound. My smok D-barrel is firing on its own. I had some problems with the button sticking before, but this was a first. The funny thing was I hadn’t touched it in over an hour. It’s sad because I love the look and hand feel of the mod, but it’s obviously a dangerous POS. I bought 2 when I was in stock up mode and haven’t used the other one yet. Might have to throw them both away.

Altaire Versailles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Detroit MI
So I’m sitting on my couch watching tv last night and I hear a sizzling sound. My Smok D-barrel is firing on its own. I had some problems with the button sticking before, but this was a first. The funny thing was I hadn’t touched it in over an hour. It’s sad because I love the look and hand feel of the mod, but it’s obviously a dangerous POS. I bought 2 when I was in stock up mode and haven’t used the other one yet. Might have to throw them both away.
My sigelei fuchai did the same thing after i used the USB cord to charge it. I was just sitting watching tv and it suddenly lit up bright orange and sizzling. Sent it back and got another, that one died a couple months later, wouldn't fire. Soon after it got discontinued and i couldn't return it.

Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    My sigelei fuchai did the same thing after i used the USB cord to charge it. I was just sitting watching tv and it suddenly lit up bright orange and sizzling. Sent it back and got another, that one died a couple months later, wouldn't fire. Soon after it got discontinued and i couldn't return it.

I learned my lesson about charging batts inside devices back in the Cloupor mini days. Never again. Charge everything in chargers and carry a couple batts in a case with me if out of the house. Some people (like Phil Busardo) say they charge all their batts inside their mods with no problems, though.

My Sigelei Fuchai 213 Squonks (I'm not a sqonker, I use them as regular mods) have held up OK so far. I hope they aren't disposable mods.

gsmit1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2018
    Smok enough said. People need to quit buying Smok garbage. I'll stick with my mech mods.
    You and I have always seen eye to eye near as I can tell, but I'm not going to be able to go along with you on this one my friend. :rolleyes:

I am NO Smok fanboy, but for whatever reason, I've spent alot of time digging into the Smok controversy.

Some significant portion of the criticism is well deserved, but they get blamed for tons of stuff that is not their fault. Or at least no more their fault than similar situations with any other company.

The cheapo D-Barrel has been selling like hotcakes for months (along with the T-Storm and A-Priv, a family of bargain mods), and while I can't say for certain there aren't others, I spend ALOT of time online and this is the first and only report of a serious problem I've seen. And that in relation to internal charging which nobody recommends on ANY mod. How does that translate into "D-Barrel is crap. Avoid like the plague!"?

I've given 2 away to help people stop smoking and they both still work fine in the hands of clutzy noobs. Even WITH internal charging because there wasn't any other choice. I am not made of money.

I myself have 6 Smok mods, including my very first purchase which was a Procolor kit. It is gouged, beat up, chipped up and the 510 is slightly crooked from being dropped while running across a busy city street. It still works like day one. All my other ones still work flawlessly too.

People always counter with "yeah, well there's always exceptions."

I say it's the other way around. Most of their stuff keeps working, pretty much as long as most other companies and we hear about the ones that don't. Because that's human nature. People speak loudest when they're aggravated about something. Many others are afraid to speak up with a contrary story because they want to fit in. Some of them will be looking at this very post knowing they are one of those :D (yes, a vast oversimplification with other components involved too)

If you look closely, some obvious noob will show up on a forum somewhere complaining about ANY other product, and everybody tells them they're doing it wrong.

Some obvious noob shows up with any Smok product and the cacophonous cry is that Smok is doing it wrong. Before ANYthing else is known about the situation at all. I've personally pushed some of these people, especially on Reddit, and 8 times outta 10 there's far more to the story than we were at first led to believe.

There's alot more to be said about this and I won't do it now. I'll just repeat that they do deserve some criticism. Maybe even more than other companies. That can happen when you get as big as they are. However, I remain unconvinced that they are the grotesque hellspawn of Satan they are often made out to be, which will probably also soon be blamed for an escalation in coronavirus cases.

They have also helped more people escape the bondage of tobacco than maybe the next 5 companies combined. Additionally, they gave a half a million dollars to our efforts in fighting the political parasites in our halls of government over here.

A bit more thoughtful perspective is all I'm hoping for. :)
    20200130_121829_cr.jpg
    20200130_121837_cr.jpg
    20200130_121843_cr.jpg
    20200130_121847_cr.jpg

Last edited:

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    You and I have always seen eye to eye near as I can tell, but I'm not going to be able to go along with you on this one my friend. :rolleyes:

I am NO Smok fanboy, but for whatever reason, I've spent alot of time digging into the Smok controversy.

Some significant portion of the criticism is well deserved, but they get blamed for tons of stuff that is not their fault. Or at least no more their fault than similar situations with any other company.

The cheapo D-Barrel has been selling like hotcakes for months (along with the T-Storm and A-Priv, a family of low end mods), and while I can't say for certain there aren't others, I spend ALOT of time online and this is the first and only report of a serious problem I've seen. And that in relation to internal charging which nobody recommends on ANY mod. How does that translate into "D-Barrel is crap. Avoid like the plague!"?

I've given 2 away to help people stop smoking and they both still work fine in the hands of clutzy noobs. Even WITH internal charging because there wasn't any other choice. I am not made of money.

I myself have 6 Smok mods, including my very first purchase which was a Procolor kit. It is gouged, beat up, chipped up and the 510 is slightly crooked from being dropped while running across a busy city street. It still works like day one. All my other ones still work flawlessly too.

People always counter with "yeah, well there's always exceptions."

I say it's the other way around. Most of their stuff keeps working, pretty much as long as most other companies and we hear about the ones that don't. Because that's human nature. People speak loudest when they're aggravated about something. Many others are afraid to speak up with a contrary story because they want to fit in. Some of them will be looking at this very post knowing they are one of those :D (yes, a vast oversimplification with other components involved too)

If you look closely, some obvious noob will show up on a forum somewhere complaining about ANY other product, and everybody tells them they're doing it wrong.

Some obvious noob shows up with any Smok product and the cacophonous cry is that Smok is doing it wrong. Before ANYthing else is known about the situation at all. I've personally pushed some of these people, especially on Reddit, and 8 times outta 10 there's far more to the story than we were at first led to believe.

There's alot more to be said about this and I won't do it now. I'll just repeat that they do deserve some criticism. Maybe even more than other companies. That can happen when you get as big as they are. However, I remain unconvinced that they are the grotesque hellspawn of Satan they are often made out to be, which will probably also soon be blamed for an escalation in coronavirus cases.

They have also helped more people escape the bondage of tobacco than maybe the next 5 companies combined. Additionally, they gave a half a million dollars to our efforts in fighting the political parasites in our halls of government over here.

A bit more thoughtful perspective is all I'm hoping for. :)
    View attachment 873105 View attachment 873107 View attachment 873109 View attachment 873111
    I understand what you're saying. I state my opinion of Smok products from personal experience. Before I knew better like most noobies I have bought products from Smok, Wismec, Vandy Vape and Hellvape. In my opinion all those companies sell garbage. It is just my opinion. There are a couple others I don't care for also especially compared to other products on the market. There are people that love the products from those companies and that's ok. I'm sure you've heard the saying "Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one and they all stink." I will agree that Smok has done well by donating money to help fight the idiots that want to eliminate vaping. I also can agree that Smok products have helped people get away from tobacco products. I can also say that I don't know any experienced vapors that would admit to recommending anyone buy Smok products over the many many better products on the market to a beginning vapor. I like you have given away those products I had to help people get started vaping. More of a "better than nothing" or "try it out" thing. Hell I even just bought a Wismec mod that will be here Friday. It was worth it to me to have for a back up or to give away for $13. I probably should keep my opinion to myself when it comes to regulated mods anyway. I do have quite a few of them that I don't use anymore. I love my mechs. I do respect your opinion my friend. Not everyone agrees all the time. Life would be so boring if we all thought the same. I hope that all makes sense.

gsmit1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2018
    I can also say that I don't know any experienced vapors that would admit to recommending anyone buy Smok products over the many many better products on the market to a beginning vapor
    I will also agree with this. In a market erupting with choices it's tough to recommend Smok over other alternatives to somebody looking for a first vape.

My biggest problem is when some poor clod makes the horrible mistake of posting a handcheck of their first setup somewhere, they almost always got in a shop no less.

Here they are all proud n happy with their shiny new prism blue X-Priv /Prince kit (or whatever) they can't wait to show off, and how it's been a week for the first time in 10 years they've been without a cigarette and they're greeted with subtle mocking and jeers about what a dumb@$$ they are for buying anything from Smok. Yes, this happens far more often than some might think.

WHAT IF they were just allowed to enjoy it until it dies... or not. If it does they'll be sure to let the internet know about it. If it doesn't, which with a little actual help is the far more likely scenario, all is well. In either case, why do some people feel compelled to beat them up right away?

I know why, but that's another post :D

gsmit1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2018
    I love my mechs.
    As do I. :thumb:

In that light, you're gonna LOVE that new Unicorn kit :thumbs:

I'm sure you know this, but I'll say it anyway. Of course I am neither singling you out, nor accusing you of all the things I'm lamenting either.

I just really believe this company is treated more poorly than they deserve overall.

Reactions: Don29palms

gsmit1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2018
    The only Smok product we carry at the shop these days is a few of the popular coils. Stopped selling their mods quite a while back, way too many returns.
    Ok, but there's a lot of considerations with this situation too. I got into it with a long time shop owner over on Reddit one time about this very thing. I'd be interested in that discussion sometime maybe too, but this is probably not the thread lol.

Last edited:

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    As do I. :thumb:

In that light, you're gonna LOVE that new Unicorn kit :thumbs:

I'm sure you know this, but I'll say it anyway. Of course I am neither singling you out, nor accusing you of all the things I'm lamenting either.

I just really believe this company is treated more poorly than they deserve overall.
    I already love the mod. I'm sure the RDA will make it a perfect match.

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    I will also agree with this. In a market erupting with choices it's tough to recommend Smok over other alternatives to somebody looking for a first vape.

My biggest problem is when some poor clod makes the horrible mistake of posting a handcheck of their first setup somewhere, they almost always got in a shop no less.

Here they are all proud n happy with their shiny new prism blue X-Priv /Prince kit (or whatever) they can't wait to show off, and how it's been a week for the first time in 10 years they've been without a cigarette and they're greeted with subtle mocking and jeers about what a dumb@$$ they are for buying anything from Smok. Yes, this happens far more often than some might think.

WHAT IF they were just allowed to enjoy it until it dies... or not. If it does they'll be sure to let the internet know about it. If it doesn't, which with a little actual help is the far more likely scenario, all is well. In either case, why do some people feel compelled to beat them up right away?

I know why, but that's another post :D
    I see what you're saying and you're right. I've never been known as sympathetic or subtle. I'm more of a rodeo bull in a china shop. If I don't get told to FOff at least 3 or 4 times a day something's wrong and that's by my friends and even my wife. LOL!

Marper

Moved On
    May 20, 2019
    I agree in principle that smok has helped a lot of people to give up, I don't own a smok mod but I do have the tfv12p prince cobra rta,I've had problems with bad coils, leaking ect but the last batch I bought was really good, I actually like the tank and the vape, so to be on the safe side I purchased the rba deck for it and it comes with some claptons already fitted, cotton ready to fit,a little tool bag with spares and a spare glass although its not a bubble so when the deck is fitted you are not going to get a lot of juice in it,I tested the resistance and its 0.25,I do have a bubble so I'm very pleased to be honest.

Reactions: gsmit1

gsmit1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2018
    I agree in principle that smok has helped a lot of people to give up, I don't own a smok mod but I do have the tfv12p prince cobra rta,I've had problems with bad coils, leaking ect but the last batch I bought was really good, I actually like the tank and the vape, so to be on the safe side I purchased the rba deck for it and it comes with some claptons already fitted, cotton ready to fit,a little tool bag with spares and a spare glass although its not a bubble so when the deck is fitted you are not going to get a lot of juice in it,I tested the resistance and its 0.25,I do have a bubble so I'm very pleased to be honest.
    I have a great hack for the cavernous airflow in the Prince RBA that improves flavor alot, but no time at the moment. For now, make sure you pull the coils right down on top of the airflow for best flavor.

Reactions: Marper

Marper

Moved On
    May 20, 2019
    I have a great hack for the cavernous airflow in the Prince RBA that improves flavor alot, but no time at the moment. For now, make sure you pull the coils right down on top of the airflow for best flavor.
    Thanks, I've not used it yet cause I will use my own coils and cotton, on inspection it does have a massive hole through the centre, I look forward to trying it out when my I've used the stocks, the deck seems very well made and the threads are good, I get problems with the cleito 120 deck, cross threading but I don't think I'll have any problems with this

Marper

Moved On
    May 20, 2019
    And about smok, you see the product's in nearly every vape shop so you are bound to get more complaints, I think because of the output, quality control suffered,I've got a wismec gen 3 and to be honest its falling to bits, worst mod ever,how ever did they think that the battery clips on the door would be sufficient to hold 3 1650s is beyond my understanding, it's now taped up with gorilla tape.
    So smok produce more than wismec but I bet smok never made a mod that's as useless as the wismec gen 3

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread